Sandbags cost 5x more than in game popup (Update - Not a bug)

Started by kanen22, January 08, 2018, 03:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kanen22

I am noticing that each sandbag costs 35 steel instead of the 6 that the game states it would cost to make one square of sandbag.

Canute

You are 100% sure you are playing an unmodded game ?
If yes could you please add a safegame where this happen ?

kanen22

yes I am sure, I purchased the game yesterday, and haven't even finished a full game through once, let alone add mods.  I have a clean version with no mods added to my computer. I am unsure what you mean by add a safegame where this happens, but I am watching this occur as I have zero steel in my inventory, and as I mine 35 units from the mountain, those 35 units go directly to the blueprint of the bunker I am making, and the builder builds ONE spot only with those 35 units. He then travels back to where the steel mining is occurring to pick up another 35-36 units depending on which guy actually mined the spot, and takes that entire stack back and builds exactly one blueprint unit of the sandbag.

Vlad0mi3r

Are you building more than one thing out of steel in the same area? Are you building more than one sandbag at a time? Can we have a screen shot to see what is going on?

I think Canute means save game file.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

NeverPire

Are you sure your miner has not placed steel in other sandbags blueprints that has still not been constructed ?
I will never do worse than what I do now.
It's what self-improvement means.

Canute

kanen22,
when you placed 6 sandbags next to each other, ofcouse your builder don't run 6 time to gather steel for them.
He can carry upto 75 (if he isn't hurt) at once for blueprint around the building area.
Check the blueprint itself, if it need more then 6 steel.

And about the safegame i mention, please read How to Report a Bug.

kanen22

Added the save game file. also attached a screen shot of the completed sandbags. I understand that initially the blueprint box is white, and then turns gray when the materials are being added to the blueprint before its constructed. Each time the guy took 35 steel from the mountain to the job site, it ONLY filled 1 single white box. I understand the concept of the game and wouldn't waste time with all this if I didn't understand what was happening and realize it was occurring wrong.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Canute

Sorry kanen22,
but the picture didn't show anything that prove your statement.
Most of the steel that your builder hauled could maybe gone to the turret that is placed there too.
And you didn't added a safegame file, just the errorlog (output_log.txt) and this is empty.

Just place a single new sandbag blueprint,
select it,
look how many resources this blue print need.
When it just need 6 steel, let your builder force build these sandbag and watch him.
How many steel he is carrying to the blueprint. Just 6 or more ?

Calahan

@ kanen22 - AFAIK there haven't been any other reports of sandbag costs being bugged in B18. If there was a bug with a core feature (like the cost of sandbags) then logic would suggest it would surely have been massed reported by now. The lack of such volume of reports suggests this is either a bug on your end, or a user error/misunderstanding. For it to be a bug your end you would either have needed to have used mods before, or edited the game files directly. You said you haven't used mods at all yet, which makes the latter the most likely scenario.

So as other have already said, if you want this to be conclusively checked then you need to provide your save game file. In your last post you said you added a save, but there's no save attached to any of your posts, so I'm guessing it failed to attach because it was over the 600kb attachment limit. If so please refer to the thread Canute linked for details on how to provide a save file using a third party host (although if you compress the save file there's a good chance it'll be less than 600kb).

If you don't want to go the save game route, then as Canute says above, you need to test this yourself by just building 1 sandbag far away from any other pending construction jobs. Then order a Pawn to work on the job and take note of how much steel the Pawn picks up. (assuming you are not playing permadeath, then you can just save, test, reload, to avoid messing up your current game).

Because the most likely cause of your missing steel is that it is being put into other pending construction jobs in the vicinity of the sandbag(s) you are building. I'm not 100% sure what the precise radius is in relation to "vicinity", but Pawns will take materials for multiple pending jobs in an area (assuming they need the same material) as the one they are due to work on. AFAIK all "my materials are vanishing" type bugs that have been reported in the past have been traced back to something like this.

@ Others - Thanks for the assist everyone!

Vuelhering

One easy way to tell is after the blueprint has been filled but before it's built, just click on it and see what it says. It'll say how many resources are in it. If you cancel the blueprint before it's built, you'll get all the resources back and can verify that way, too.

Calahan

Going to close this due to lack of further info, plus all the signs are this is just a simple case of user error/misunderstanding (regarding how Pawns will collect resources for more than one construction job).

@ kanen22 - If you have more pertinent info to add, and you are sure this is a bug, and can provide a vanilla save game that demonstrates it as such, then please PM me and I will reopen the thread for you to post said info and save file.