How large should bedrooms be?

Started by mattig89ch, January 11, 2018, 10:09:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattig89ch

Hidy ho all,

I wanted to know if there was a good rule of thumb for how large bedrooms were?

Canute

At the beginning, it doesn't matter it's more important that they don't sleep on ground and got an own room.

Later 5x4 or 5x5 are a good size for a bedroom. Ofcouse you can made it bigger to have more room for wealthy objects.

Bolgfred

I think 4x4 is mostly enough. When your wealthy 6x6, but more is wasted.
Not sure, but I think 12 walkable tiles are necessary to get the slight tiny-room-debuff which is -1 I think.
Always place your bed in the middle for freedom buff - pawns sleep with all eyes open.

In the end its More about the one wealthy sculpture but the space they have.
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

BlackSmokeDMax

I like to use either 4x5 or 5x6. With both an even number and odd number it makes it easy to have the door centered in the odd wall, and then if you have a single bed put it along the odd wall, if you have a double bed put it along the even wall. This lets you center either type of bed in any bedroom. Not important, but I do prefer the look.

Neither of those are large enough to get the bonus for having a large bedroom, but i don't really worry about that.

Albion

Like Canute I prefer the 5x4 or 5x5 size since it creates racher big rooms to get that impressive mood buff.
Since B18 (or A17?) room quality is the minimum of size, beauty and cleanliness. Therefore if you have a 2x2 room with a single bed and a legandary gold statue, the room quality will still be bad. However if you increase room size that impressive beauty will actually have an effect and your colonists will feel better.

SpaceDorf

In the beginning I start with 3x2 rooms, so I can get a lot of them ready to get rid of the disturbed sleep and barracks debuff. Bed and

Couples get the walls removed so two 3x2 rooms become one 3x5.
Later I upgrade too 4x3 and 5x4 .. but I don't bother with lots of beauty Items.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Dashthechinchilla

If you are into non square rooms, aim for 20 to 25 tiles for an ok room. Bigger for roomyness. 16 is about as low as I can recommend.

An end tables need to be placed next to the pillow to work. Just saying.

Jibbles

I do the 3x2 to 3x5 rooms too or go straight to 3x5.  Those 3x5 rooms will get you through quite easily even late game and it's all I used to build.  It's worth to expand if you want those mood buffs.

Xav

Man, I spoil my colonists with 6x6 rooms and double beds :o

Call me Arty

Since everyone's saying things, I like 5x7. That's enough to fit a double bed (I hate playing Musical Beds with couples), an end table + dresser, a door in the middle of a wall instead of off to the side (WWDWW instead of WDWW), a medium statue (or plant pots, or paintings, depend on what you want/have modded), and a light in the middle, all comfortably. Also doesn't loose too much heat if you connect three of them together with one heater/cooler and some vents (which you'll also have room for!).

Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

The Man with No Name

These are the standard bedroom sizes and contents I'm using in my current game.

BoogieMan

5x5 has worked for me for quite awhile. Wood permitting, I usually build double beds for each room so when they hook up with someone you don't have to bother with new construction.

Vlad0mi3r

I like to keep things a bit tighter with 3x5 as my standard go to size.

However my bases are always organic and I will end up with some odd sizes along the way. I don't like breaking down the old buildings on the map as this adds flavour and makes each base different.

Once I get over 8 people I move from individual rooms to a barrack for the new comers. One nice big room with carpets, good quality beds side tables and high quality large sculptures. You can get the debuff down to -1 for sharing the room which is easily offset by good food or even a good Rec room.

You can run with a barrack from the start but you will need to spam some sculptures nice and early. The quality of the beds will count big time too.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

Hans Lemurson

My standard 11x11 building footprint can be easily subdivided into Six 3x5 rooms.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Snafu_RW

Quote from: Dashthechinchilla on January 11, 2018, 02:29:48 PM
If you are into non square rooms, aim for 20 to 25 tiles for an ok room. Bigger for roomyness. 16 is about as low as I can recommend.

An end tables need to be placed next to the pillow to work. Just saying.
End tables need to be placed /beside/ the pillow (& only 1 for double beds); if you place them /above/ the pillow they currently give no bonus other than beauty
Dom 8-)