[B18][WIP] YAPM (Yet Another Priorites Mod)

Started by toric, January 11, 2018, 06:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toric

YAPM attempts to fix some of the more annoying things in the work priorities, without cluttering the menu and making yourself wonder why 'refining' is meaningfully separate from 'smelting'. I aim to only add new categories where the default behavior causes undesirable behavior.

There are some things in the rimworld work priorities list that simply don't make sense. I'm tired of having my fueled generators run out of fuel simply because hauling isn't a top priority, and I want to rearm my traps immediately after a raid without also having everyone hauling stuff like mad. And just because I'm not interested in talking to prisoners right now doesn't mean I don't want to feed them!

Downloads
GitLab: https://gitlab.com/Toric/yet_another_priorites_mod/tags
GitHub: https://github.com/TheToric/yet_another_priorites_mod/releases
Steam Workshop: When I figure it out.

Currently this mod:
-renames the flicker work category to maintenance, which (still) flicks switches, refuels stoves, and rearm traps.

-Adds the 'tending' category. They pretty much feed everyone.

-makes the plant cutting job show growing as a relevant skill. growing does affect the speed of plant cutting.

Future plans:
TODO
-Make it so the tending category doesn't 'steal' jobs from other categories. I have no problem if my doctor is feeding my patients if he doesn't have anything else to do.
-Compatibility with allowtool (move priority haul to maintenance?)(would enable people who can do hauling to haul urgently. thats a problem.)
-Separate out crafting based on the research/medicine skill versus the crafting skill.
-Move all brewing to the cooking worktype?
-open to sugestions.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: toric on January 11, 2018, 06:30:10 PM

-renames the flicker work category to maintenance, which (still) flicks switches, refuels stoves, and rearm traps.

Awesome.

I would suggest a Brewing category for moving stuff in and out of barrels .. or move that to cooking
or Foodworking, which removes all low level jobs from actual meal preparation like barrelmovement, butchery and anything low level

and an Apothecary/Chemist category to remove those medical jobs from crafting.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: SpaceDorf on January 12, 2018, 06:32:20 AM
Quote from: toric on January 11, 2018, 06:30:10 PM

Awesome.

With Fluffy's Breakdowns, doesn't he add his repair to construction? If so, would you put that in with maintenance? I think a lot of people use that mod, and with this, it would make sense, at least from the word maintenance. Hmm, I don't know though, because I think the maintain/repair skill uses Construction skill.

SpaceDorf

Maintenance and the maintenance percentage at buildings is added by fluffy.

But I also use a mod that removes repair from construction and makes it a separate worktype again.

In the same venue I suggest a deconstruction worktype.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Harry_Dicks

Starting to think, why the hell isn't there a mod, that will let us assign ourselves, whatever work type is in the game, added by mods or not? Cause sometimes mods add their own work type. How cool would it be if you could move them around? And you could also add your own new "categories" into the work tab?

toric

Quote from: SpaceDorf on January 12, 2018, 06:32:20 AM
Awesome.

I would suggest a Brewing category for moving stuff in and out of barrels .. or move that to cooking
or Foodworking, which removes all low level jobs from actual meal preparation like barrelmovement, butchery and anything low level

and an Apothecary/Chemist category to remove those medical jobs from crafting.

A category for brewing seems too specialized. The goal of this mod is to try to avoid adding new categories. Likewise, with minimum allowed skills in place for your bills, foodworking seems a tad unnecessary. I do like the idea of moving all of brewing to the cooking worktype. Still, my gut says it should be hauling. Maybe something to duplicate.

I like the idea of a seperate category for intelectual-based crafting.

Quote from: SpaceDorf on January 14, 2018, 04:23:22 PM
Maintenance and the maintenance percentage at buildings is added by fluffy.

But I also use a mod that removes repair from construction and makes it a separate worktype again.

In the same venue I suggest a deconstruction worktype.
Same goes for deconstruction. Sorry, but it seems a bit OTT to have separate categories for construction/deconstruction.
As for fluffies maintenance, I seriously considered putting it in maintenance, but It uses the construction skill, and I would like to avoid grouping skilled labor and unskilled labor.

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 14, 2018, 05:41:09 PM
Starting to think, why the hell isn't there a mod, that will let us assign ourselves, whatever work type is in the game, added by mods or not? Cause sometimes mods add their own work type. How cool would it be if you could move them around? And you could also add your own new "categories" into the work tab?
I believe fluffies worktab does something similar, but I haven't played with it. (about the only fluffy mod I do not use...)

Also, what would yall think if I merged tailoring and smithing?

crusader2010

How would you merge tailoring and smithing? If I have 2 smelters and 3 tailoring benches, which should go first? Based on what (what is more important for me as a player)?

PS: just saw there are some jobs related to animals under "Doctor", even feeding an animal. Probably they should get moved to handling.
My mod pack: {A13} Mod Mega Pack

toric

Quote from: crusader2010 on January 21, 2018, 08:04:07 AM
How would you merge tailoring and smithing? If I have 2 smelters and 3 tailoring benches, which should go first? Based on what (what is more important for me as a player)?

PS: just saw there are some jobs related to animals under "Doctor", even feeding an animal. Probably they should get moved to handling.

Thats already done in many other job categories. take a look at the number of individual jobs under crafting or hauling or construction. tailoring and smelting are kinda the odd ones out for being separate. Id probably put tailoring first, then smithing, under a 'skilled labor' category. (also, smelting is under crafting, if I remember correctly.)

What do you mean by 'doctor'? Do you mean the tending category? if so, that is intentional. tenders, at the moment, are soley there to feed people. If you mean the actual doctor category, then thats a bug, and a screenie would be appreciated. (Feeding injured animals is a doctors job in vanilla, if memory serves. Healthy animals are expected to find their own food.)

Ranisimo

Very interesting start! I'll be closely following and posting suggestions when I can. Thanks!
I'm a real life boomrat.

toric

v0.2.0 Is released! the Chemist job has been added, and Im working on duplicating jobs across work types. Currently away from my main computer, so only the gitlab link is up to date until sometime tomorrow. next up: tacking steam workshop.