English weight option

Started by Injured Muffalo, January 13, 2018, 07:36:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Injured Muffalo on January 16, 2018, 04:56:10 AM
Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on January 15, 2018, 03:16:15 PM
Not sure why the system matters.

However, for whatever reasons, probably helping us to empathize with the setting and the people in it, there is a lot of earthly convention in the game. Earthly weather, and items, I mean, the goal here isn't alien game with alien goals. It's people game with people goals. So I see an attraction to having authentic measurement systems in the game even if they aren't an integral part of it.

Hmm, fair enough!

gipothegip

I don't think it matters, personally.

I don't think the weights are even accurate / realistic. I think it basically is generic decimalized units, with kg slapped on there; honestly they wouldn't even have to label what we're using, it makes sense to me as is.

Calling it pounds and converting it to rounded numbers  and / or convoluted decimals would make the system harder to use IMO (and yes, I'm from the US).

My point being that the weights in the game are kind of abstract already, so understanding what something is in pounds doesn't seem important.

It's not like the temperature system where the numbers are more realistic, and can be converted over easily without being convoluted.

To be fair though, I did use metric weights exclusively at my previous job, so I am experienced with that system.
Should I feel bad that nearly half my posts are in the off topic section?

patoka

as a child of two engineers who all grew up in industrialized metric speaking countries i can confirm that not understanding a unit doesnt do jack. i have played ALL fallout games like i play rimworld - as a hoarder - and finished them without being confused by the weight measurement system in fallout. (fyi fallout uses rough estimates in pounds, but doesnt specify it.)
essentially i was playing with metric numbers that were doubled but not shown. it never even crossed my mind that there could be a different system than the king of systems, the metric one. (i guess i was very young when i first played fallout) i just assumed that in this alternate reality/future of fallout's setting you had this fantasy system of units that were approximately half as large as kg.

it is the first time i have even heard that 2.2 pounds are a kg. it is just so unimportant. and as stated before, let our american friends learn something new. they also might wanna do something in a sciency subject when they grow up. doesnt hurt anybody. besides, if there were any other such scientifically illiterate people among us like i am, then it is just some funny sci fi unit. learn to love it. 5+ billion people use it in real life.

lastly: rats are 10kg? no wonder you get so much meat off of one. in my first year of playing rimworld i never hunted them out of fear that they arent worth spending the time. i soon noticed that they give just as much food as rabbits. but that can only mean...10kg bunnies!
surely you dont need to rebutcher corpses that you already half butchered if you leave the table to smoke a joint real quick?

Crow_T

Quote from: gipothegip on January 17, 2018, 01:16:17 AM
I don't think it matters, personally.

I don't think the weights are even accurate / realistic. I think it basically is generic decimalized units, with kg slapped on there; honestly they wouldn't even have to label what we're using, it makes sense to me as is.

Yep, this hits the nail on the head- the unit name per se doesn't matter, what matters is that there is a logical balance of item weights (or masses ;) ). Hmmm, if we are talking weights everything should be in Newtons, or Sylvesters if Rimworld's gravity is different than Earths...
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20