Should stone flagstone and tile have different build costs?

Started by The Man with No Name, January 13, 2018, 01:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Man with No Name

Stone tile and flagstone both cost four stone to build. Flagstone is quicker to build, with a work to build value of 9, while tile takes longer, with a value of 19.

Flagstone produces no beauty, however, while tile has a beauty value of 1 per tile. So stone flagstone floor provides the same beauty as wood floor, yet wood floor has a time to build of only 2, and in most biomes, it is probably easier to get a steady supply of wood than stone blocks, which also need to be cut to size at the stonecutter's table. Wood floor costs three wood to build. Although it says that wood floor is flammable, I have not seen this happen.

So, do people think this is currently well-balanced? I think that perhaps flagstone, at least, might have its cost reduced from 4 to 3.

jamaicancastle

For rooms, stone floors contribute more to the room's wealth than wood floors, so it's actually beneficial to use them. (This is also why smoothed stone floor has a seemingly disproportionate beauty, to countact the fact that it provides no wealth whatsoever.) With that said, I wouldn't mind flagstones being cheaper.

Bozobub

Yes, wood floor burns, and yes, it can be a big problem at times ???.
Thanks, belgord!

The Man with No Name

Okay, I checked these things with the Dev tools - flagstone is much better than wood for wealth, but less than tile, and it does indeed burn!

BlackSmokeDMax

I agree. Which, of course is why i made the mods you can see linked in my sig. One to make them 2 blocks each, and the other mod to make them three each.

The Man with No Name

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on January 13, 2018, 05:10:24 PM
I agree. Which, of course is why i made the mods you can see linked in my sig. One to make them 2 blocks each, and the other mod to make them three each.

Which cost do you think is better?

It makes sense that uncut flagstone should cost less resources, since cutting stone to a specific size for the purpose of making tiles inevitably means wasting some stone.

Lemonater47

Wood floor does burn. I've had a stone building with a steel door burn up entirely. Just because the floor was wooden.

It also held a bunch of chemfuel in storage.

Should have researched the foampoppers... Or used a stone floor.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: The Man with No Name on January 14, 2018, 07:42:50 PM
Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on January 13, 2018, 05:10:24 PM

Which cost do you think is better?

It makes sense that uncut flagstone should cost less resources, since cutting stone to a specific size for the purpose of making tiles inevitably means wasting some stone.

I'd suggest starting with the 3 blocks per. See if that still aggravates you. If it does, then switch down to 2 per.