[Mod Request] A major malice for pawns using weapons above their tech level.

Started by Harry_Dicks, January 14, 2018, 05:33:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry_Dicks

I was thinking about doing a tribal->spacer run with one of the tech advancing mods, and also using the medieval one for a nice break between tribal and industrial. However, I don't want to be able to use any weapons above my tech level that might have been dropped by pirates or raiders. Or if I do use them, I have a serious malice, which could maybe be adjustable in the mod options. Maybe just a -50% to accuracy, or something for each level of tech difference. I know I cannot help myself, if I can get access to something that is kinda OP early game that I will use all the way through to late game. I've had that happen before where I got 2 pawns with these 2 overpowered rifles, and I end up ruining my own fun. I can resist God Mode, but I can't resist arresting a trader or friendly that's fully decked out beyond my tech level. I just thought it might be cool to encourage you to use the items you have available, like bows and clubs for tribal. We've already got the great mods Tribal Essentials, Tribal Raiders and other stuff, and this would go great with them, in my opinion.

Canute

Thats why it don't made sense to stay as tribal in a spacer world.
Without the remove of adavance tech/item/faction from the game, a tribal start is just an extra difficult.

Currently the game don't have a tech-tag for item (i think), then that mod would need to patch all weapons (and some armors too i would say) with a tech-tag.
And you would need an extra patch for each weapon mod like CE need.

And from the other side,
i think you are a car driver, do you think you can drive better if you understand how the car works/drive.
Of for someone who use a pila just before, any gun would be harder to handle at first, but for a crossbow or bow user, a gun isn't that different to use. It is even simple and more accurate.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Canute on January 14, 2018, 05:59:22 AM
Without the remove of adavance tech/item/faction from the game, a tribal start is just an extra difficult.

I understand it doesn't make sense to stay tribal, but that's why this is for my own personal taste, and I am using a tech advancing mod anyway.

Currently the game don't have a tech-tag for item (i think), then that mod would need to patch all weapons (and some armors too i would say) with a tech-tag.

You're right, I don't think there are "tech tags." But, I do know that in Simple Sidearms in the mod options you can choose what is or is not able to be used for tribal sidearms. It already has a few in there by default, but that might have just been the mod author putting the vanilla tribal items in there. But I would be okay if we just got blank categories, and then you are able to categorize all the weapons and/or armor you have loaded from mods, so the mod author doesn't have to do any work for any new weapons or apparel that comes out. And then everything just get saved as a config xml for the mod, like Simple Sidearms or ModSwitch. In Simple Sidearms, it just loads every weapon you have in your game, even stuff from mods, and it let's you, the player, decide what how you want to categorize stuff. Personally, I only use maybe 1 or 2 small/medium weapon packs, so I don't have a ton of them anyway.

And from the other side,
i think you are a car driver, do you think you can drive better if you understand how the car works/drive.
Of for someone who use a pila just before, any gun would be harder to handle at first, but for a crossbow or bow user, a gun isn't that different to use. It is even simple and more accurate.

I agree, that's why I said maybe have a -50% accuracy per tech level difference. It could stack multiplicative too I suppose. So a neolithic tribal trying to use an industrial rifle will have -75% accuracy, but if tries a medieval bow, it's only -50% accuracy. Same thing if they try to wear power armor. Or you could have the option for apparel to turn this on or off. Or maybe you have it only apply to the apparel that you CHOOSE! Hell yeah, that sounds fun. Like a tribal wouldn't know how to activate a power armor all of their systems or something, but the shell by itself still offers decent protection without any of it's advanced systems running. So they still get -33% or -50% armor from it.

Rustic Fox

And from the other side,

Weapons don't have a tech tag but research does so if you need research to unlock weapons that could be one way of determining its tech level
I am a mod creator that creates my own custom mods but also believes in keeping alive older interesting mods.

My Mods: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=50497

Canute

So weapon they don't need/have a research are free to use or never to use ?
Weapon like only special faction carry or loot only weapon.

Harry_Dicks

I'm just saying, I want to do my tribal to spacer run, but not use weapons from way beyond where I'm at with my current tech level. Since I am using a tech advancing mod, I will be able to progressively start to use better weapons throughout my run as my colony advances in tech level. But let's say I am a neolithic tribe, and a medieval warband comes to raid me. So they drop some of their crossbows and halberds or whatever. If I want to use those as a tribe, it is +1 tech level (there are 7 tech levels in game already), so that means I would be at level 1 malice, -50% accuracy or whatever you want level 1 to be. Let's say then after that, an outlander (industrial level tech) raiders come to my tribal base, and I kill them and get some of their weapons. Those would be +2 tech levels for me, so maybe -75% accuracy if I want to use them.

However, as I progress through my neolithic techs, and meet whatever requirements I have setup with my tech level advancing mod, then my colony advances into medieval tech. So then if I want to use those crossbows and halberds now there is no malice. But if I want to use those industrial level items, they are now only +1 tech, so they are -50% accuracy instead of -75%. At the medieval level tech, I can now freely use medieval weapons and below without any malice.

All I would need, is for 8 blank categories to be setup, and a small table setup where you can input values for the intensity of each level of malice. Malice 1-8 could be 10%, 20%, 30%, etc. Or you could make it totally unusable, 100% malice for any weapon from tech level above you. Totally up to the player. With the blank categories, you have also a small icon for every weapon you have brought into the game (think of Simple Sidearms, how in the mod options you just click whatever weapon icon you want to accept for a sidearm or not) so this way the mod just looks at the list of weapons you have, the mod author never has to update any list for it to be compatible with any weapon mods. This also leaves the decisions all up to player. Does he want to have his medieval level have any gunpowder weapons? Or will it be only melee + bows/crossbows?

Alright man I made a freaking paint image for you to see. In the example the scenario is you are a tribal, who will allow yourself to use medieval weapons but with a light -10% penalty, and anything from industrial tech for -50%, and anything above that is -100%. You can change these levels as you please, as well as moving any weapon to any category.

:P

Rustic Fox

Quote from: Canute on January 14, 2018, 04:04:20 PM
Weapons like that may need a patch if you want to use them. but ones that have required research could be determined using the research. I say that because it would most likely be easier than patching all weapons.
I am a mod creator that creates my own custom mods but also believes in keeping alive older interesting mods.

My Mods: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=50497

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Rustic Fox on January 14, 2018, 05:04:56 PM
Quote from: Canute on January 14, 2018, 04:04:20 PM
Weapons like that may need a patch if you want to use them. but ones that have required research could be determined using the research. I say that because it would most likely be easier than patching all weapons.

It doesn't need any patching of any weapon lists at all. The mod will look at every single weapon you have available in your game, the whole weapon list, that means any tool and club or rifle or any thing at all like that. And they ALL appear as icons. Have you guys never used Simple Sidearms? It does the exact same thing, it doesn't matter if you have 10 weapons or 1000, and the mod author never has to update anything about any new mods new weapons. Simple Sidearms just looks at your entire weapon list in the game. It then gives you that list as a form of icons. All you do is then click whatever dang icon you want to accept as a sidearm. You do the exact same thing here, except instead of designating a weapon as a sidearm, you are now designating a weapons "tag" which just so happens to be whatever ARBITRARY level that YOU the player designates it. The PLAYER also designates any and all malice levels. You can swap any of it around at anytime. All the program ever has to do then, is just look at the player's colony tech level. If your tech level is tribal (neolithic) and you have any pawns with a medieval weapon, then they are going to have level 1 malice, just like my chart I made above, tribal using industrial weapon would be level 2 malice, etc. And of course, once you finally advance in a tech level, then you can use a new tier of weapons without a malice, everything goes down one level then. I feel like I might not be explaining this properly, because I don't think it is too complicated...