Mechanoid Vulnerability - Melee

Started by Coenmcj, June 04, 2014, 04:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coenmcj

When fighting mechanoids I've found if you sit in one spot then you're gonna get someone killed, you need to use tactics and move around frequently to minimize your colonist deaths, especially when fighting the inferno cannons
You can also instruct a colonist to punch it to death. I did that and the thing just kept trying to run away while the colonist repeatedly kicked it in the face.
They don't appear to have a melee attack.
That's... A significant vulnerability. PUNCH THE MECHANICAL CENTIPEDE IN THE FACE! PUNCH IT TO DEATH!

Showed up in a general discussion post, and decided to post it to suggestions.
A strong melee or a serious deterrent to stop people from exploiting this vulnerability would be a good idea as mechanoids seem to be the tanks of rimworld, you don't want them being quite that easy to kill via zerg rush do you?
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Celthric Aysen

yeah they are Tanks but isn't zerg rush the only solution to killing tanks?
i fail to see the logic of this...
also how about letting the centipedes have the ability to burrow anywhere on the map and ambush your colonist when ever they get near.
My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

Mattk50

the inferno cannon ones arent really any threat. just spread your colonists out around them in an open field and let loose, cover is bad when fighting them.

christhekiller

None of them are really as big a threat once you learn how to fight them. When I first started fighting them it was death and destruction, but ya work out how to beat them same as any boss then it just becomes a process.

Coenmcj

Inferno cannons aren't that bad when it's just inferno cannons, cause they're so slow. But when they're protected by the ones with Charge? rifles (Havn't played in a day or two.)

I can understand that everything has it's weakness, but... come on... you're punching an armoured mechanoid to death, which is twice your size mind you, you would atleast think that it could fight back once it's in that state somehow.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Celthric Aysen

welp it would make sense that your punching metal... then again your asking your colonist to make a base in the first day :P
My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

Utterbob

I like that there is a vulnerability, adds a strategic consideration rather than just out shooting every type of threat! Of course as it is, its just an easy mode option.

But I'd rather see a solution to this through mob synergies. For example one that has a devastating melee attack but only moderate weapons (compared to the centipedes). You can't run up to it and punch it just to disable it's weapons so now you have to either shoot it out with the group or run up to the centipede and punch it while taking shots. The shots are weaker but your colonist isn't in cover!

For me, I would now be weighing up how much damage the shooting troops can do to the melee capable one if I charge the centipede... can I bring down that HP pool before it shots the no-cover-colonist(s) to bits. Alternatively, can I focus-fire it down while taking the much higher income fire from both so that I can charge the centipede after?

Jones-250

I find a firing squad with miniguns to be quite sufficient.

(Fire)power! Unlimited (fire)poweeer!

But I like the idea.
Skill,
  Cohesion
      and a Forward spirit.

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Coenmcj on June 04, 2014, 04:43:30 AM
When fighting mechanoids I've found if you sit in one spot then you're gonna get someone killed, you need to use tactics and move around frequently to minimize your colonist deaths, especially when fighting the inferno cannons
You can also instruct a colonist to punch it to death. I did that and the thing just kept trying to run away while the colonist repeatedly kicked it in the face.
They don't appear to have a melee attack.
That's... A significant vulnerability. PUNCH THE MECHANICAL CENTIPEDE IN THE FACE! PUNCH IT TO DEATH!

Showed up in a general discussion post, and decided to post it to suggestions.
A strong melee or a serious deterrent to stop people from exploiting this vulnerability would be a good idea as mechanoids seem to be the tanks of rimworld, you don't want them being quite that easy to kill via zerg rush do you?

I think of them sort of like mega-beasts from dwarf fortress (but weaker)

hmmmmmm..... I hope he adds more mechanoids, perhaps we could have centipedes AND a melee kind of mechanoid as support?
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK