No snowy trees is hurting my immersion

Started by Harry_Dicks, January 17, 2018, 01:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry_Dicks

I've recently started loving to do cold games, especially the boreal forest. Great mods to play with are Climate Cycle++ and Quantum Cooler and Furnace. However, I very much wish that trees and other foliage would have a snow texture for when it snows out, or stays snowy for however long. I don't think it would be asking too much. I just want that perfect aesthetic for my winter wonderland!

Boston

Same thing with deciduous trees not changing color in autumn

Harry_Dicks

I really hope they are able to pull this through. It really doesn't sound like it should be too hard, but I am not a programmer. I would think with the groundwork laid from the A17 version though things might be a little easier to point the OP in the right direction.

Maybe nandonalt will come back, or maybe if they do and choose not to update the mod themselves, that they at least give their blessing for the guy from reddit to publish a B18 version.

Granitecosmos

The easiest method I can see for this is checking whether the tile has any snow on it. If it does, use the snowy texture. To do this, add one check to snow spawning and one to snow despawning. This seems to be the best approach for both performance and immersion and doesn't sound like it's too hard to do.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Granitecosmos on January 18, 2018, 03:32:25 PM
The easiest method I can see for this is checking whether the tile has any snow on it. If it does, use the snowy texture. To do this, add one check to snow spawning and one to snow despawning. This seems to be the best approach for both performance and immersion and doesn't sound like it's too hard to do.

If I knew how to do the checks, I would! :D But browsing around the A17 version of Snowy Trees, it uses assemblies, and anything beyond xml is beyond me... :-[ I did try just swapping the version number to A17, but that gave me some red errors, and I did not proceed forward.