Good
3 (60%)
Bad
1 (20%)
Could do better
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Leonidas295

I think this would be a good mod to implement into the game and it would be great if someone can make it and I don't imagine it would take alot of coding I would do it myself but I don't know how to code

I think that the price could be like half a silver per kilowatt sold and it goes to a monthly payment that you get paid since you make your own power and sell it to the grid

Dagoras

The idea itself sounds nice, but there may be balance issues ( more if you use mods that gives you additional options to get power ) however this could be avoided with a mod-settins where the player can adjust the price per kW.

The thing is how do you make selling power realistic? Since there arent power-lines on the map to other outposts, so the only option would be is to transfer it to some kind of ship passing by ( maybe at a regular intervall of a month ) so to make it realistical, you would need some kind of "power transfer"-building, then if the trader comes by, you could sell all your power in the batteries ( would encourage people to make big battery stacks and makes the short fuse incident into a really threath instead of a nuisance if you are building your enonomy on selling power ).

I would certainly like to try a mod of this sort out.

Jaxxa

Interesting Idea.

I agree with Dagoras that balancing would be hard and something that could be left as user configurable.
A Rimworld does not strike me as a place that would be conductive to having long distance High Voltage power lines.

Other ways it could be handled are a Wireless Power Transfer System, or Creating Charged Power Cells / Batteries and selling them as a standard items.
I used to have a Wireless Power and PowerCells mod that I plan to resurrect it at some stage and this would be an interesting thing to add.

Jibbles

I don't think balancing would be too much of an issue if the users can configure it.  I was thinking of batteries when Leonidas mentioned it, as long as the process isn't too automated. Would be cool if someone put a spin on it than being just a normal battery and maybe make it risky, e.g. sensitive to high temps etc. if it seems too profitable or easy. Dagoras brings up the short circuit event which would play nice when farming power since players have to keep an eye on that.

I would definitely use this mod if someone made it.

BrokenValkyrie

I imagine selling power in the fashion of reverse power beam. Rimworld have network of power collection satellite.

Here how I would implement the building.
There is a building dedicated to firing at satellite with laser, it has to be outdoor and there can only be one such building on a map.
Rate of power transfer is adjustable.
Once player establish orbital trade beacon they can start transmitting power. Building keeps tab on how much power being transferred.
Every few days, an orbital payment is delivered and the building power transmitted stat goes back to 0.

Leonidas295

Quote from: BrokenValkyrie on January 17, 2018, 10:39:31 PM
I imagine selling power in the fashion of reverse power beam. Rimworld have network of power collection satellite.

Here how I would implement the building.
There is a building dedicated to firing at satellite with laser, it has to be outdoor and there can only be one such building on a map.

Rate of power transfer is adjustable.
Once player establish orbital trade beacon they can start transmitting power. Building keeps tab on how much power being transferred.
Every few days, an orbital payment is delivered and the building power transmitted stat goes back to 0.

I think this would be the best and most practical idea all we need now is someone to start making it

Canute

With the Orassan mod, you allready got a Power transfer modul, but just to recive power.
Diana is lazy and didn't add a description how the power get transfered. But i think Microwave beam from their orbital ship/station.

With Rimatomic's came out i allready thought about the idea to sell power.

- Sell to faction/outpost.
You create a contract with a faction to deliver x kW/h. These faction place a connector at your map border (you should have at last the same control where, like the 6 caravan exits) and a powerline to lead out of the map.
Then you have to connect these connector to your powergrid, and any surplus power get into the connector like a battery.
But the connector don't drain battery power.

- Other way are the chargeable powercell.
Like batteries, but they disconnect once they are full charged, and you can sell them.
They come into 10 kW/h, 100 kW/h and 1MW/h sizes.

But beware, Rimatomics can create ALOT of power  50-100 kW surplus with just 1 reactor in nothing special.

Leonidas295

Quote from: Canute on January 18, 2018, 06:55:21 AM
With the Orassan mod, you allready got a Power transfer modul, but just to recive power.
Diana is lazy and didn't add a description how the power get transfered. But i think Microwave beam from their orbital ship/station.

With Rimatomic's came out i allready thought about the idea to sell power.

- Sell to faction/outpost.
You create a contract with a faction to deliver x kW/h. These faction place a connector at your map border (you should have at last the same control where, like the 6 caravan exits) and a powerline to lead out of the map.
Then you have to connect these connector to your powergrid, and any surplus power get into the connector like a battery.
But the connector don't drain battery power.

- Other way are the chargeable powercell.
Like batteries, but they disconnect once they are full charged, and you can sell them.
They come into 10 kW/h, 100 kW/h and 1MW/h sizes.

But beware, Rimatomics can create ALOT of power  50-100 kW surplus with just 1 reactor in nothing special.
These are good ideas but no one to create it yet

Jaxxa

I like this idea and will have a look at it over the weekend if I have the time and maybe put up a work in progress.
Probably based around the idea of a Plasma Power Transfer Beam up and down from orbiting ships.

Leonidas295

Quote from: Jaxxa on January 18, 2018, 06:58:27 PM
I like this idea and will have a look at it over the weekend if I have the time and maybe put up a work in progress.
Probably based around the idea of a Plasma Power Transfer Beam up and down from orbiting ships.
Beautiful thank you post it here if you do it or on steam

Festen

I also like the idea, but I think it needs balancing other than just selling power and getting money back
Here are some balancing idea I can think of :

A penalty fee if you cannot sell a predeterminate amount of power with this any event that slow down your power production can have a double impact, and you will have to take extra care of your Power production units during a raid.
The obligation to construct power lines. A modder had already created a mod tt allow you to build road so I think this is easily doable (or many not I'm no modder).

Canute

Penalty yes, but you should be able to have a more or less plausible reason for it.
I don't see the point why your power production should be slown down.
If an orbital station got this kind of energy siphon beam, i don't think they would ask people on these anarchy planet, they just would take the power.

But on ground if you made contracts with a faction about energy, a faction hit if you can't fullify the contract should be the common penalty.