Necromorph mod for Rimworld

Started by krinkels69, January 17, 2018, 06:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krinkels69

Hey guys, I have some info and questions here!

First of all, the reason because of this post is because I would like some ideas from the community here.
Me and 2 friends have agreed to make a necromorph event in the game.

It's not very complex and it goes a bit like this: A notification pops up that strange creatures have been spotted near your base and they are closing in on your location. You have to fight them off.

What it does:

- NPC necromorphs attacking your base
- Revives dead colonists that were killed by the necromorphs to also become necromorphs.

Now the reason why I am posting here is because I don't have many ideas. If anyone here has any ideas to add to the mod we will make, feel free to comment here and I will try to respond to it asap.

PS: try to keep it reasonable, I can program but I'm not a genius :P

Canute

Hmm you describe the Zombieland mod,
did you ever looked into it ?

krinkels69

Aye, I am aware of it. We're going to implement a Necromorph hostile faction with no negotiation possibilities and having the 'Markers' as their factions operational bases.

Albion

Quote from: krinkels69 on January 19, 2018, 04:19:58 AM
Aye, I am aware of it. We're going to implement a Necromorph hostile faction with no negotiation possibilities and having the 'Markers' as their factions operational bases.

I would suggest to implement them as a hidden faction like the mechanoids. Except if you want the ability to raid and potentially destroy their bases.

Festen

Here are some ideas :

Several ennemy units to go with the necromorph like some cannon fodder ans some tanks that are only here to give the time to the necromorph to do his deed
If you make it a melee fighter a regeneration factor
If ranged try to see if you can give him a sort of disease status to his attacks. I have played a mod that's add tyranids (from the game workshop game Warhammer 40K if you don't know what they are) where they ranged attack cause not only nausea, but wounds that need constant treatment because they tend to reopen
I remember and old mod from a previous version of the game that added an ennmy pawn with a kind of stealth factor, meaning that turrets could'nt attack him. You could make your necromorph a sort of shadow if this is possible.
Well that all of I can think of it for now, don't know if this idea are to your liking or even possible. Good luck with your mod

corestandeven

This would be great as a mod, but even better if it were in vanilla. Given that we now have tech added in vanilla that can bring recent pawns back to life I dont think it is too far fetched to have instances where it goes wrong. Perhaps pawns that are left a little too long come out screwed up? If this happened enough times on an entire world you could have a small faction where they have banded together - an outcast faction who hate the regular 'living'. So i think it would be compatible with the current lore.
But if this is just a mod I look forward to seeing it.

krinkels69

Quote from: Albion on January 19, 2018, 06:34:36 AM
Quote from: krinkels69 on January 19, 2018, 04:19:58 AM

I would suggest to implement them as a hidden faction like the mechanoids. Except if you want the ability to raid and potentially destroy their bases.

We have the intention of making them a standard faction, not like the Mechanoids since we assume that they are infecting the planet you landed on.

krinkels69

Quote from: Festen on January 19, 2018, 11:29:47 AM
Here are some ideas :

Several ennemy units to go with the necromorph like some cannon fodder ans some tanks that are only here to give the time to the necromorph to do his deed
If you make it a melee fighter a regeneration factor
If ranged try to see if you can give him a sort of disease status to his attacks. I have played a mod that's add tyranids (from the game workshop game Warhammer 40K if you don't know what they are) where they ranged attack cause not only nausea, but wounds that need constant treatment because they tend to reopen
I remember and old mod from a previous version of the game that added an ennmy pawn with a kind of stealth factor, meaning that turrets could'nt attack him. You could make your necromorph a sort of shadow if this is possible.
Well that all of I can think of it for now, don't know if this idea are to your liking or even possible. Good luck with your mod

We currently have planned to make 3 variations on the Necromorph:
- Standard necro with 50/50 speed and attack and average durability
- Tank-like necromorph with low speed and high damage and durability (a bit like the centipede mechanoid)
- Fast and agile necromorph with high speed, low damage and durability

Also, we consider keeping them melee only since their status as 'resurrector' of the dead makes  them rather dangerous to begin with. We might make a hardcore version where there may be a ranged variety as well.

Thanks for the ideas, they're quite inspiring really :)

krinkels69

Quote from: corestandeven on January 20, 2018, 04:33:30 AM
This would be great as a mod, but even better if it were in vanilla. Given that we now have tech added in vanilla that can bring recent pawns back to life I dont think it is too far fetched to have instances where it goes wrong. Perhaps pawns that are left a little too long come out screwed up? If this happened enough times on an entire world you could have a small faction where they have banded together - an outcast faction who hate the regular 'living'. So i think it would be compatible with the current lore.
But if this is just a mod I look forward to seeing it.

Well we only considered doing this since the code needed to resurrect was implemented, like I said, we can code but we're not gods and believe me, implementing code like that is very tedious and difficult (kudos to the guy who made the zombie mod that pulled it off before Tynan made the code for it)