Chemistry! [Mod Request]

Started by tmo97, January 19, 2018, 03:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmo97

I have no idea what to type here, I just hope the idea excites you as much as it does to me.

CHEMICAL WARFARE!
TERRAIN DESTRUCTION, STRANGE MATERIALS, CUSTOMIZABILITY, VARIETY AND LOTS AND LOTS OF MECHANISMS!
Just basic degenerates of real life chemical operations, reorganised to provide a sensible way of doing it.

Make hydrogen, oxygen and store them in 'the' gas tank, because multiple types of gas tanks are performance draggy.?!.,
Have chlorine that you can build into grenades that are basically smokepops but worse.
Get a box in which you can destroy stuff chemically to obtain various materials.
Allow your colonists to build fantastical materials, such as custom alloys.
I'd love if this mod would work together with cupro's alloys.
Have a workbench that can produce an alloy that mixes the properties of both materials in the ratio provided, with some custom effects added ofcourse.
For example, mix copper and plasteel for something that somehow also takes from the properties of silver.
It would also allow you to work leather by being ridiculous and infusing materials into it somehow.
Make thermites with oxides and metals, make acids, have these things either accidentally or purposely destroy the soil. Dissolve bodies, make methane or even extract calcium phosphate from their bones. Create actual physical weapon systems that aren't blocks that pretend they have mechanisms in them by making copper/zinc/copper/zinc walls (or something).
It could even work together with rimatomics. I want my plutonium copper thermite explosive.

What about a cheaper, alternative way to make components, that balances itself by having you need a laboratory with the required equipment? I'm not suggesting (just) a workbench, (god, another one) I'm suggesting actual devices with mechanics.

You could throw intermediant production chemicals at your enemies for makeshift weapons.
Your chemicals would get destroyed during a raid creating a horrible mess.
You could convert valuable chemicals to less valuable chemicals to reduce value, and then when a tradeship comes round, you quickly make all the chemicals, since you invested in having the right equipment to do so, and make a big profit without all the risk that value brings you.
There would be new horrors for rimworld doctors to face. Wouldn't want to even imagine a burnt pelvis, or how it happened, but now at least there's the possibility.
If you wanna get basic, add a new research for chemfuel that allows you to build volatile materials and a stronger (but downsided) generator.

Vaporize rock with your glittertech explosives, evaporate water with clever hygroscopics, have excuses for new drugs or alternative ways to produce them.

Work your swords with acids and bases to mend them, irreversibly break plasteel into its component resources, ofcourse without disclosing the main elemental ingredient that tynan would want to imagine his plasteel is made of.

Clot wounds in combat, make drugs that do it for you later when you got the tech.
I'm basically just showing you what chemistry can do for you here - this is awesome and I hope you see it the same way!

Like I said, I don't know what to write here, I just hope the idea excites you as much as it does for me.

tmo97

(Read 75 times)
I guess chemistry isn't cool enough

Harry_Dicks

What you propose sounds quite complicated, and it can take some time to get responses when you have such a big idea. If it was smaller, or more focused, I think that generates more chatter, as it is easier to focus on just a couple aspects of a mod idea, rather than a whole grand idea. I'm not saying you shouldn't post stuff like this, but just keep in mind what you are posting, and expecting from users. ;)

Nice idea, btw.

CheekiMan

A more freeform chemistry system like SS13 would be totally amazing.

tmo97

I'd totally be in for that, only I'd not want it to be wacky, more like rigid and certain elements.

tmo97

i tried making that, but now that I have these things, all they're good for is making tools and walls.

1 Wood + 1 Steel = 2 Metum
1 Metum + 1 Wood = 2 Arborum
1 Metum + 1 Steel = 2 Metumum

this also means you can disproportionate and comproportionate to get different compounds

1 Arborum + 1 Steel = 1 Metumum + 1 Wood

arborum would be less flammable than wood and stronger than wood but also heavier and more brittle when made into tools, and metumum would basically be a metallic wood.

then you could put arborum on the floor somewhere, ignite it near chemfuel, and it could, for example, convert all the chemfuel into wood, and convert itself into metum, which you can recycle, and then you could also use it to synthesize chemfuel.

it would mean you would have to make stuff work in realtime rather than watching a box-shaped thing being watched by a pawn and pretending you're having fun imagining that he's actually doing anything. in other words, you'd need to have an interactive world, with interactive items, rather than just machines that you stare at or power to get stuff.

I tried modding this but please guys just help me out cause I'm not gonna be able to do this on my own. People say all you need is dedication but I'm gonna be honest and say that the best I can do is a recipe of 1 wood and 1 steel to make a custom material which you can make in a fire, which somehow can also be made in everything else but doesn't work there.
then that custom material can have 1 steel added to it, and then you get a variant of that custom material that is harder and less flammable and heavier, etc. literally alchemy/chemistry.

I tried modding cupro's alloys.

http://textuploader.com/dp1k4

here's the recipe file. i don't understand what i'm doing, tutorials aren't helping me and i'm basically just sitting here waiting for someone to do this.

i can't do it myself, and telling me to study python for 4 years or else i should shut my mouth is not gonna help. I've tried to mod before and the only thing where I can remotely mod something is powder toy and i made a 2159 line mod for that so don't tell me i'm not trying.

i'm trying but nobody is responding to this. i can't imagine you not wanting to create all kinds of interesting things whose properties can literally be managed by algorithms.

There's 3 wood and 1 steel in this compound, therefore it has such and such properties.
Basically make a lot of variety with it, and then, for example, when you get to 5 wood and 4 steel you can remove 2 wood and 1 steel at a time, to kind of make a dehydration reaction.

cmon man! idk what to say and i dont think this is all that uninteresting! can anybody help?  :-\

Alistaire

I can't believe you expected replies within 5 minutes of posting the above.

Please, if there's any concrete question you want someone to help you with, ask.

Quote from: tmo97 on May 28, 2018, 01:26:19 PM
I tried modding cupro's alloys.

http://textuploader.com/dp1k4

here's the recipe file. i don't understand what i'm doing, tutorials aren't helping me and i'm basically just sitting here waiting for someone to do this.

Okay so you tried modding another mod. Where did you put your modded file, is it inside of the other mod still? Did you move the recipes into a separate mod? Are both mods active? Does the recipe code do anything in-game? Did you check? I honestly don't know what's the problem.

I also don't understand what you're doing, whatever you're providing us with isn't helping anyone. Nobody will do this if they don't know what you want.

So please, write down 1) what you were expecting the code to do, 2) what happened that makes you think it's not working, 3) what you tried to make it work.

tmo97

"I can't believe you expected replies within 5 minutes of posting the above."
That's good cause I didn't imply that by editing in parts I wanted to add without double posting.

"Okay so you tried modding another mod. Where did you put your modded file, is it inside of the other mod still? Did you move the recipes into a separate mod? Are both mods active? Does the recipe code do anything in-game? Did you check? I honestly don't know what's the problem."

This is a mod request.
I think the following: You know exactly what this is but you wanna frown at me and try to find where I'm not trying so you can point at that and not do anything but blame my lack of success on the one thing I refuse to work on.

"I also don't understand what you're doing, whatever you're providing us with isn't helping anyone. Nobody will do this if they don't know what you want."
Good job at projecting yourself. I don't want your help because your attitude is asinine from the start. They know what I want. A mod with chemistry in it.

Listen. Rimworld modding is so complicated that I don't know where to start.
http://prntscr.com/jpwc6z
http://prntscr.com/jpwccr

Do you need like 50 pictures of everything? Because I think even then I won't understand how to make a proper mod like cupro did.

Idk what YOU want. You seem to miss information but instead of asking me, you wanna sarcastically blame me for it. I got images of the folder structure. How many images do you want? If I were to put more images here it would lead up to 20+ pictures to show you what's wrong because ANYTHING could be wrong. I don't friking know stop riding my ass pretending I wasn't clear about the fact that rimworld modding is an absolute mess compared to anything else I've modded.

http://prntscr.com/jpwd43

The file structure is correct, now you just have to scroll through the wads of code I made so that you can find the one error, and you're not gonna do that cause
1. you dont have the code
2. then you're gonna tell me im stupid or that i should learn more about the coding language before i continue, like every single person ever who tried to 'help' me to mod.

tmo97

Someone respond to this being less of a condescending ass imo?  >:(

@reading mods: if i can't be angry on this forum and you're gonna dislike my tone then stop moderating me and remove the smileys of emotions that you're disallowing people to have on this forum.

Look. I want this chemistry mod. I've tried. It's too much work because Rimworld modding is too much work. I want to write down the recipes and have it work. It shouldn't require a filestructure. I don't know why Tynan did what he did with the structure, it's unintuitive, there's absolutely literally no need to segment everything into its own 'defs' folder. It's ridiculous.

1 file for recipe
1 file for the specific thing the recipe is going to operate in
1 file for the item for the recipe
1 file to connect the item to the recipe
1 file to bla di frikin bla this isn't gonna work;

I have no idea where to start explaining what is wrong. I could show you errors from starting it up. I could show you the fact that my campfire can make 1 recipe but not the other even though they're almost exactly the same item and the coding is EXACTLY THE SAME down to the dots. Clearly if you want to help me, stop frowning at me and cherrypicking stuff as excuse to blame me for your inability to deal with the situation at hand.

stop trying to "help" me by criticizing the giant amount of incapability I'm having here and instead APPEAL TO THE FACT THIS IS A MOD REQUEST! Thank you! Sincerely, tmo97.

RELEVANT & NON-RUDE RANT OVER.

Alistaire

Quote from: tmo97 on June 02, 2018, 08:26:33 AM
(incoherent whining)

now you just have to scroll through the [..] code I made [..]
1. you dont have the code

Well then attach a ZIP file of the mod to your post. There's "Attachments and other options" in yellow, press it and "Attach: Choose file" your ZIP file.

Quote from: tmo97 on June 02, 2018, 08:32:26 AM
(tantrum)

[There are] errors from starting it up. [..] my campfire can make 1 recipe but not the other [..].

(namecalling and screaming)

Go to RimWorld1722Win\RimWorld1722Win_Data and attach output_log.txt to your post as well.