Would people like the idea of a prefab tab in the Architect?

Started by Ramsis, June 16, 2014, 05:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think you might have a use for Prefab builds in game?

Yes!
2 (11.8%)
No!
6 (35.3%)
Yes, but only if we have the ability to store our own as well for later use!
9 (52.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Ramsis

So, just going to throw this out there but for those of you who have played since... oh... FOREVER AGO you already have your special way to build bases. Personally I'm the kind of guy who enjoys finding a large mountain and building into the side of it DF style! I make a few 3 deep by BLANK long hallways and then I kind of ant network from there, but now that the game is moving forward in terms of content and eventual gameplay changes maybe it's time we get the ability to make smaller builds through a prefab system. All you'd do is more or less scan an area like a homezone and it will detect everything player built in the area and then save it as a blueprint etc, then you can name it and but a short description. Maybe it can save in an easy to store text document so people can share building ideas? Maybe folder placement for the more tactical player? It's a small idea honestly and one that I would like to think would be easy to do :<

Thoughts, comments, criticism?
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

AwesumnisRawr188

Good, but with the way the colonists build: randomly, they would end up getting stuck if there's a place they can block themselves into.

I would love it if that was fixed, as it's annoying to build geothermal generators that are protected good by hand.

Also it'd be nice to make my colonist cabins as they're all the same.

AwesumnisRawr188

There is a planing system, if that's what you mean. You can highlight tiles any way you want and they stay there until a colonist does something to the block.

Tynan

It wouldn't be hard to make the prefab tool as a mod, I think.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

vagineer1

Quote from: Encode on June 17, 2014, 11:20:13 AM
Umm, we might not on the same page here. You do know prefab and the currently 'planning' are totally different things. Or I've brought my 'high' expectations here again. Haha.

The 'planning' you mentioned do nothing more than highlight with a white square. The 'prefab' I supposed we're discussing here is to set out a floorplan of what to build/mine and use that as 'stamp' to replicate instead of doing everything manually over and again. Is this right?

It would be interesting if there was a tool like Prison Architects where you just click and drag a box over the area you want cloned.
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.