Add more RTS elements

Started by Gerblemcriberle0, June 04, 2014, 11:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerblemcriberle0

I was playing my game in dev mode and it occurs to me that this game could rival that of C&C 3, but with waaaay more depth.

Look at this colony:

You may thing nothing is special but I didnt get that big naturally. I understand there is a set theme for this game but maybe this is an idea modders and the Dev should hear out. Naturally more technology can be gained, but what if you can hire forces for your side and even manage them ? Like forces in orbit, or in other parts of the colony in special buildings? Or even vehicles!! All researched and built.

We could building structures that give bonuses that are called from the Security tab:

1. Air Strike:

2. Drop Ship Troops:

3. Drop in buildings from orbit pre-built, or even supplies grids (large amounts of supplies that cover an extended area):

And these are just a few, this idea came to me when I was testing a bunch of warring factions I spawned on one map with zombies, and I had to wall off my base just to survive and manage my supplies/weapons, even though it made it easier it wasnt easy. I think this game's RTS element isnt being explored enough yet. I hope modders consider stuff like this but I think Tynan should consider it.

a89a89

I donut think these would fit into the game because you suppose to be stranded on a rim world

johntiger

Quote from: a89a89 on June 05, 2014, 07:45:17 AM
I donut think these would fit into the game because you suppose to be stranded on a rim world

It's possible if Tynan add new storylines to storytellers like desperate colonists seeking new place to colonize to break away from current civilization and develop their own community. In this scenario, they would be more wealthy and more prepared though not fully trained, hence 'desperate.'

Untrustedlife

I agree with you good sir.......

OP, what mods are you using.. you mentioned zombies.
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

OmegaConstruct

This sounds like something that will one day be an awesome mod that focuses on the war and combat aspects, but it doesn't really fit the core of the game as mentioned. But seeing as the functions to do all of those things are in the debug menu, it stands to reason that a clever modder could build a mod that would be able to spawn troops from a graphic that looks like a dropship, or bomb an area with explosions or cause a ton of lightening. Change the size and frequency of the attacking armies, the weapons you have available, and tweak the options on the comms console, and you're ready to go to war.

Of course, I have no idea how to mod, so it could be hard as hell to do. But it sounds all so easy when I say it.

Morrigi

Quote from: Untrustedlife on June 06, 2014, 11:07:04 PM

Dropping small to medium-sized prefab buildings shouldn't be much of a stretch, honestly. However, unless a spaceship is coming down and dropping it from near-ground level, I have sincere doubts about it being anywhere approaching cost-effective.

Also, considering the very rude pirates that always seem to find your base, it'd be reasonable to assume that they'd have some kind of AA weapons at their base that could shoot down an approaching cargo shuttle.

So, in my opinion, yes, it would fit. However, I really don't think that traders would be willing to either risk their equipment and crew, or waste their money on gigantic heat shields, parachutes, and landing thrusters.

Oh, and even a very small colony can build, say, a 9x9 out of normal metal walls in less than an in-game day, so again... Not cost-effective.

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Morrigi on June 07, 2014, 08:14:27 AM

Dropping small to medium-sized prefab buildings shouldn't be much of a stretch, honestly. However, unless a spaceship is coming down and dropping it from near-ground level, I have sincere doubts about it being anywhere approaching cost-effective.

Also, considering the very rude pirates that always seem to find your base, it'd be reasonable to assume that they'd have some kind of AA weapons at their base that could shoot down an approaching cargo shuttle.

So, in my opinion, yes, it would fit. However, I really don't think that traders would be willing to either risk their equipment and crew, or waste their money on gigantic heat shields, parachutes, and landing thrusters.

Oh, and even a very small colony can build, say, a 9x9 out of normal metal walls in less than an in-game day, so again... Not cost-effective.

But why would they? They are pirates who  ( I presume) live on this planet, and traders who are just passing by. Its not like your an actual colony of some imperial power who has enemies/allies who can afford to do this kind of thing to you. You crashed an a pseudo-industrial old-west style world. Where people are still using gunpowder weapons, but have access to some high end technologies....

There is no profit to be made by anyone who does this...so they wouldnt.

(I believe that space-traders will be replaced soon actually, since we are supposed to be on a secluded, far off, rim-world, in a universe that lacks faster-then-light travel)

Unless the traders are constantly "Migrating" so to speak around the world , and making money that way (with their ships) which isn't much of a stretch at all i guess. (Still not cost effective to do prefab stuff though)
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Morrigi

Quote from: Untrustedlife on June 07, 2014, 09:37:57 AM
Quote from: Morrigi on June 07, 2014, 08:14:27 AM

But why would they? They are pirates who  ( I presume) live on this planet, and traders who are just passing by. Its not like your an actual colony of some imperial power who has enemies/allies who can afford to do this kind of thing to you. You crashed an a pseudo-industrial old-west style world. Where people are still using gunpowder weapons, but have access to some high end technologies....

There is no profit to be made by anyone who does this...so they wouldnt.

(I believe that space-traders will be replaced soon actually, since we are supposed to be on a secluded, far off, rim-world, in a universe that lacks faster-then-light travel)

Unless the traders are constantly "Migrating" so to speak around the world , and making money that way (with their ships) which isn't much of a stretch at all i guess. (Still not cost effective to do prefab stuff though)
Yeah, they may be taking a detour off a major trade route to make a bit of extra cash or something.

ITypedThis

With the drop ship troops, one could perhaps hire a group of mercenaries for X silver from a semi-rare mercenary ship, whom would stay around the colony for a week or so, killing anything hostile. Once their contract is up, they take off. Ideally as well, the mercenaries would not do work, could not be controlled by the player and need food and shelter, but would come fully equipped, not effect the colony's strength rating, and could possibly even rescue incapacitated colonists.

With the supply-grid and pre-built buildings however, I feel that they would not be needed/possible/balanced, in my opinion.

OmegaConstruct

Quote from: Untrustedlife on June 07, 2014, 09:37:57 AM

Have you ever read the Revelation Space series of sci-fi novels? It is a space opera without FTL, everything is sublight. But, traders travel from system to system at significant fractions of the speed of light, and due to relativistic effects the travel time is much less than the real time that passes by. The point being, there is the possiblity of interstellar traders even in an sublight spacefaring society. It all depends on what kind of fiction Ty writes around the game.

Untrustedlife

Then I shall link you to the lore:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fUO3KKbAbTxMP1lqphnnodY0NPoOVblCUkDw-54MDUc/pub

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pIZyKif0bFbBWten4drrm7kfSSfvBoJPgG9-ywfN8j8/pub

(Tynan wrote these for backers to read)

In the RimWorld universe, it takes years or decades to travel or communicate between stars. Because travel times are so long, planets tend to be disconnected from each other socially and technologically. So there are no great star empires, and interstellar travel is unusual. Each star system is mostly isolated from its neighbors.

Rimworlds - Distant and isolated planets lacking in strong central government and low in population density. These places tend to hover around the industrial level of technology or lower. Because they�re not homogenized by a central government, they tend to see a lot of interaction between people of different technology levels, as travelers crashland or ancient closed valut communities open up.

:)

which begs the question....... where do these traders come from...

I think they are all based on the current planet and fly around trading.. but thats just what i think....

That or they are from the same solar system...... but it wouldn't be much of a rimworld if the entire star system was populated....
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

LINK

OmegaConstruct

I think those perameters can fit the idea if interstellar trade. Perhaps the traders could be much less frequent than they are now, but I don't think that getting rid of traders altogether is required to match the fiction. I would imagine that there would be quite a demand for supplies from the central worlds out on the rim, and the traders who took the time to travel out to the rim systems could charge whatever they wanted and make a killing (which is much like what happens in the Revelation Space series, and to a lesser extent, at least conceptually, in something like Firefly).

But, as it stands now, seeing as how all of the goods you can trade for right now are things you can make yourself, it does seem like the traders are just working on the one planet. It would be cool if there are super expensive super high tech awesome stuff down the line that works in the long term interstellar trade angle.

Untrustedlife

Aww there we go, firefly, i believe firefly is one of the main inspirations for the setting?

I have never been able to really watch that show..

You make a good point.

I actually believe having rarely some real awesome things from traders of higher tech levels is planned.
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

LINK

OmegaConstruct

I'm sure that I'd not be the first to recommend the show to you. It is one of my favorites.

But yeah, in the Firefly universe, the entire star system is colonized. The inner planets and moons are super high tech, very advanced, while the outer colonies are in many ways like what you see in RimWorld.

SSS

Air strikes might not work, but ground-to-ground missiles could. Your colonists could build an large outdoor missile launcher. It would require manning (much like a comms unit) and manual targeting. It would also consume missiles, which I feel should be much rarer and much more expensive if something like this were added.

Oh, and you might want to build it in a secure area. 'Wouldn't want those raiders firing the missiles at you.

Edit: To clarify, I imagine this as firing missiles up in the air, to fall on the area of the map you selected, like artillery rather than as a "missile turret". They may or may not have a set range.