(Update) RimWorld PC Requirements

Started by Matty, October 26, 2013, 01:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matty

Hi, I have seen many people ask this but without an answer, What are the PC requirements to play RimWorld

For refrence, mine is currently a 1.3Ghz laptop with an Ati Mobility Radeon HD4330 (4 years old). I am able to play Minecraft at 13fps and Don'tStarve with 30fps
She's called Golden Syrup, since she runs so slow :)

Tynan

Your laptop will probably chug on the game as it is now, because it's not optimized. In six or twelve months the game will be running better.

There are no fixed requirements because the game changes all the time and we haven't done any optimization yet.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

DeltaV

Since I hate to start a new thread asking basically the same question:

I assume this computer will be fine to play RimWorld on? It's been able to play most games I've gotten pretty well, and RimWorld doesn't look like the most difficult game to run, but you can never be too careful:

Quote from: Douglas AdamsIt is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Tynan

DeltaV - yes, probably.

In general, though, I don't really know. I've only seen this game run on two machines!

GC13

How much work is there for the graphics card to do in RimWorld, Tynan? Seems to me it's more of a CPU kind of game.

Tynan

Quote from: GC13 on October 26, 2013, 10:04:38 PM
How much work is there for the graphics card to do in RimWorld, Tynan? Seems to me it's more of a CPU kind of game.

Yes, the game is completely CPU-bound (I think).

Matty

Thanks, I'll reply to the thread once I've played it. Even if I can't I should be upgrading my old laptop anyway.

At a guess, if you can play Don'tStarve or Minecraft this *should* be ok.

Tynan

Quote from: Matty on October 27, 2013, 12:13:27 AM
Thanks, I'll reply to the thread once I've played it. Even if I can't I should be upgrading my old laptop anyway.

At a guess, if you can play Don'tStarve or Minecraft this *should* be ok.

RimWorld has a lot more going on than either of those games, I'm afraid. Minecraft enemies appear in tiny numbers and don't really do pathfinding. DS seems to only show a small area of the world (though I haven't played it).

Consider a case like in RimWorld: 25 raiders are attacking, 15 turrets are tracking them, 15 colonists defending, 150 fires putting out sparks and smoke and propagating themselves, 50 animals pathing around and finding food, 4000 plants emitting seeds and reproducing and such... it adds up.

That said, Prison Architect does more than RimWorld, but they've been around longer and their system is much more optimized. RimWorld needs optimization.

Produno

Dont forget the countless dead bodies accumulating onscreen inc rubble, guns, blood, other trash like blown up walls and sandbags. Im sure all this can add to quite alot of extra usage. It also depends how the game processes all this stuff.

Im guessing it should 'run' on pretty much any spec machine within reason, it just may not run well. Yet. And obviously the longer you play the worse it will get without proper ways in place to remove all that extra build up of stuff over a long period of gaming.

I would guess CPU and memory are the main components needed to run this game well. Though dont forget multicore isnt yet incorporated so a single high powered processor would run the game best.

I would guess DeltaV will be fine but i think Matty will most probably struggle atm. Once optimised it may be a different story. Though im only going by my own experience with software and hardware so dont take it as gospel.

aerojet029

on this system -4.0GHz i7-2600k, GTX 560 Ti, 8GB of ram-
at least on the .232 build 95% of the time the game runs smooth as butter, but every once in a while you can notice it chugging along. the occasional memory dump helps tremendously. and is barely something worth noting

minecraft used to be very system intensive (in early alpha) because even if you couldn't directly see a block, it was rendering every block in a chunk. now i get over 500 frames per second on the default texture pack.
most of the slow downs seem to happen near a base with a lot of things going on

nomadseifer

QuoteDont forget the countless dead bodies accumulating onscreen inc rubble, guns, blood, other trash like blown up walls and sandbags. Im sure all this can add to quite alot of extra usage.

I'd be very surprised if this accounted for much of a performance hit.  As Tynan described in his comment, its all the active stuff that contributes to CPU slow-down.  Like more colonists, raiders, animals, turrets, propagating plants.  Rubble, corpses, blood, are just graphical changes that occur once and don't require ongoing processing.  I assume they remain static until the player interacts with them.   
Love of an Idea is love of god - FLLW

Produno

Quote from: nomadseifer on October 28, 2013, 12:37:23 AM
Rubble, corpses, blood, are just graphical changes that occur once and don't require ongoing processing.

You have any evidence to back this up?
These 'graphical changes' have stats, they interact with the world (citizens complain about the colony being a dump), when something needs to be built the rubble has to be removed first, all this information still has to be processed. How often is this information given to the colonists? How often is all this information checked? It could be every frame, though this would be quite intensive. How does the game know how many of each and what are on each square? These 'graphical changes' even have to be stored somewhere, the textures are probably fairly small but they still add up when theirs hundreds of each on screen. So trust me it does all add up, especially in an unoptimised state.

These are some of the reasons i suggested a single high powered CPU (inc the points Tynan stated) and plenty of RAM when considering if being able to run the game 'well'.

Though im by no means an expert and im just using an educated guess from the programming/modding i myself do and the designing and building of gaming systems and home media systems that i also do.

Btw, my post seems a little condescending, its not meant to be :)

British

I have an i7 3770K, 16 GB RAM, and on a 250x250 map, there's some slowdowns now and then.
Regular 200x200 maps are just fine 90% of the time.

I wish my SLI could help with that...

Matty

Looks like I won't be able to play it :( Gutted. I'm going to try anyway since I'm hoping to upgrade soon.

GC13

Yeah, you're way past due for an upgrade anyway. $500 plus OS and accessories would get you an enormous upgrade in a new desktop.