The fall of fallton

Started by Arandmoor, June 05, 2014, 02:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arandmoor

Background: Was playing with a turret mod I made that added three new turrets: a Lee Enfield turret, a Shotgun Turret, and an R-4 Blaster Turret.

Day 0:
I have no idea what happened, but out of an entire ship full of derelicts the only survivors I could find were a crazy female doctor who refuses to do any menial labor, a seemingly sane inventor, and a woman who will only describe her day-job as "housemate".

She is a ridiculously good shot with a rifle for a "housemate"...

So we landed on this God-forsaken rock hoping to find a verdant paradise. What we got was a dreary desert that somehow (mercifully) isn't a jungle given how much it rains. Rain started ten minutes after we crashed, and let up for a whole two hours the second day before starting up again. At least there wasn't any -KABOOM- ...lightning.

God damn it. The shelter is on fire...

Day 2:
A squirrel tried to rip the doctor's face off.

I hate this planet.

We abandoned our landing site for a spot roughly a half kilometer to the west because it had easy access to a steam vent and was surrounded on two sides by mountains. An old ruin to the  south along with a steep hill the doctor termed "cute" could be used as a nice defensive fortification with some good old-fashioned manual labor.

The east is wide open though. I don't like wide-op...who the hell is that?

Is that a bow and arr... why isn't the turret firing? How the hell is he ranging our gun-turret with a bow and arrow?

- bang, bang, bang -

That "housemate" is one scary woman. She "winged" him. He's alive but with a painful-looking gut wound. She says she was trying to kill him and missed.

...I don't believe her.

Day 9:
Everything is looking up, I guess. A slaver ship came into comms range a half-day after we finished the comm terminal, and the bow-man (A hermit with a name I cannot pronounce for the life of me) decided to join us after the "housemate" talked to him once. Considering how the inventor tried to talk to him about 40 times only to be told where to stick it I can only imagine what she said to him.

I might be imagining things, but he smiles around her like his life depended on it...

Our merry band now numbers six with the two medieval warriors we purchased from the slavers. They both agreed that hot potato soup and warm beds are better than a slaver ship's cell block.

Day 10:
Why is the inventor sleeping next to his research desk? And why is he twitching? And...laughing? -BOOM-

...why did the idiot just try to punt a Boomrat? That almost never ends well.

Day 14:
Well that was interesting. Our neighbors to the south-west decided that they liked our potatoes so much they wanted to "water them with our blood".

Too bad for them though. We completed our eastern wall and they had to come in though a funnel into a kill-zone with six turrets pointed at them along with six very pissed off colonists. The inventor's Lee Enfield turrets really paid for themselves when the bastards tried to run away and now we have two prisoners. One of the turrets didn't make it because one of the raiders decided to drop a frag grenade on top of the damn thing. Unfortunately for him he was standing right next to the turret when he made his brilliant decision and the grenade somehow bounced off of the bloody thing and landed at his feet. Between the grenade and the turret going off, there wasn't anything left of the poor sod.

At least it made for easy cleanup...

Day 19:
What the hell is going on? Debris have been falling from the sky for days now. We don't have enough room for all this stuff!

Day 20:
The inventor has decided to tell everyone about his new "baby". A turret with a shotgun mounted on top. He says it's real short range, but tough as hell and easy to build.

He's not wrong, though I have my doubts about it's usefulness...

Day 22:
We ran out of power for lights, and our new additions were complaining about having to sleep in the dark as if it wasn't the whole idea in the first place. So the plan was to set up a solar farm to the north-west behind a protective stone wall. Everything was going well except that the lads decided all at once that their new favorite past-time was mining, and they completed the tunnel through the mountain way ahead of schedule.

Unfortunately, nobody wanted to patch the hole in the wall we left in case the wall was finished before the tunnel got started, and somehow our eastern neighbors found out about it before the oversight could be fixed.

On top of that, the inventor and the housemate decided to run off on a date or something and were caught outside the wall.

Fortunately for us, five of the bastards decided to chase down the two love-birds which meant the rest of them got shredded by our turrets anyway. That shotgun turret was pretty useful, truth be told, even if it did end up eating a grenade in the end.

Things weren't as good for the inventor and his date. They got gunned down by the raider leader. Apparently he had a minigun...

Thank God he didn't bring that into the settlement. That would have sucked.

Day 26:
The inventor has invented something he calls "The R-4 Blaster Turret". He assures us they're perfectly safe and wants to replace a few of the turrets out front with them.

Why does he keep telling everyone how safe they are?

Day 29:
Well, everyone else is dead. We got attacked by a bunch of suicide bombers who dropped directly into the settlement from orbit or something and one of the idiots had a frag grenade.

It was the middle of breakfast. Everyone was in or near the main building where the food and table are, and the front got dog-piled soon as the shooting started. Well, one of the idiot invaders dropped a frag grenade next to one of the "perfectly safe" R-4 turrets...

When those things blow up, they blow up big.

I wish the inventor had told us, or anyone really, that the turret power-source was unstable.

They gang-fired. All three of them along with two other turrets in-between them. Killed the pirates. Killed the settlers. Killed everyone.

At least it was quick...

max97

nice, moral of the story; dont call a colony Fallton xD! 8)