Saddest Animal Stories

Started by MrIslanders, January 25, 2018, 07:57:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrIslanders

So I'm pretty new to the game. I have had my first colony for a couple of (real) months now, and I've only had to not save three times.

Okay, let's get on to the juicy story. My colonists were just mining some steel, and I get this notification saying a pack of yorkshire terriers have joined by colony. I was just like, great! That's exactly what I need! I have low food and now I have 7 more mouths to feed. I decided not to slaughter them because I am stupid, so I just kept them around. Later, half of them ended up getting cirrhosis, but that's besides the point. I ended up training them to fight. Worst decision of my life. Anyway, one of them was fighting a timber wolf, and got her back legs and front left paw bitten off. This yorkshire terrier was named ana (I did not choose the name). A couple of days later (in Rimworld time), I find out that Ana is pregnant! Fantastic! Now I have this incapacitated yorkshire who isn't capable of moving that is pregnant sitting the dining room. I found out that I could get prosthetics for my animals, so I installed the mod (A Dog Said). I sent one of my most useless colonists (it was my doctor) to go and install the prosthetics. As it turns out, she was getting married at that time. Oh Well! Ana the yorkshire is now up and moving again. We got raided once more, and Ana went out to the front lines. She got injured again, but no legs were torn off. Not very thankfully. I get this notification saying, "Ana has had a miscarriage due to injury." Nooooo! ANA! My doctors tend to her, and she gets fully healed :D. A couple of days later (in Rimworld time), she gets pregnant again. WOOOOOH! We get raided again. I cross my fingers she doesn't miscarry again when she fights. Guess what happens? She didn't miscarry? Nope! Your wrong! She miscarried again. Just my luck at rimworld.

grrizo

Lol! It happens to me all the time. I have alpacas and muffalos, and every time there's a raid, I forget to put them into a safe zone. They always end up beaten up with the correspondent miscarriages.
Tip: If your pets get drunk or use drugs all the time, you need to make a "animal zone" and restrict the area where the stuff is. And you can make kibble in the butcher table for them, so they don't have to step into the freezer, potentially drinking your beer.
I have a zone for pets, a zone for livestock and a safe zone for those who can't fight in the raids. You just have to make it and then in the "animal tab" you can decide wich zone is for every animal.

As for a story, once I had a pawn who had a high ability to tame animals, so I often gave her a pet to bound. This pet always ended killed or eaten, all the time. But it was funny, because it always happened to her pets, and quickly!
Poor gal, she was always sad.
Lavish meal, now with extra Yorkshire terrier meat.

Iqew

I once had a colony that had around 20 Winter Wolves and one of those wolves, let's just call her "Youko" would always get pregnant. She was basically the Eve of my colony of wolves but sadly, she had dementia and miscarriages were often. If she didn't have a miscarriage so often, I'd wager I would have about 50 winter wolves.

Oh, and she would always get herself injured when going outside her barn. And on one faithful day, she got ripped to shreds by a wandering puma.

Jackalvin

The horse for my one legged warrior lost 3/4 of his hooves. He cannot walk, and just sits there out of respect for his combat days as a noble steed.
-Insert Witty Joke Here-

MrIslanders

Update on Ana: She is now the proud mother of Ooga-Booga and Darya (no I did not choose the names.)

kubolek01

If losing your Oris everytime when a raid featuring Scrin units is counting, yea it does. Why the hell they always come from wrong direction, WHY?
Eat lead, walking pile of silver! (greedy Player)
I...I can't do it. Leave it alive, please!(inner soul)
It lives 200 years to end up as a jacket?!(realists mind)
If I would go to vacation in off-Earth, even fictional place, I'd choose Nibel.

Techpanda89

I've been playing the game for awhile now and have had a number of interesting stories involving animals. Most recently I was attacked by a group of Yorkie manhunters which was sad as I mowed them down with lasgun fire (playing the Imperial Guard mod). On that same map, later on, I was dangerously low on food and just had my crops wiped out by blight. Two pigs -- male and female -- self-domesticated and joined my colony. I kept them alive in hopes that that would reproduce giving me a new food supply and after a few days, it happened.

The sow gives birth and the baby piglet is all small and cute, wandering around the animal zone (Mmmm, bacon) when, out of nowhere some stupid cobra bites and kills the piglet. Then, it bites and kills my sow.

kubolek01

Quote from: Techpanda89 on March 27, 2018, 08:17:04 PM
I've been playing the game for awhile now and have had a number of interesting stories involving animals. Most recently I was attacked by a group of Yorkie manhunters which was sad as I mowed them down with lasgun fire (playing the Imperial Guard mod). On that same map, later on, I was dangerously low on food and just had my crops wiped out by blight. Two pigs -- male and female -- self-domesticated and joined my colony. I kept them alive in hopes that that would reproduce giving me a new food supply and after a few days, it happened.

The sow gives birth and the baby piglet is all small and cute, wandering around the animal zone (Mmmm, bacon) when, out of nowhere some stupid cobra bites and kills the piglet. Then, it bites and kills my sow.
As of the first incident I had described, I let no predators live on the map. What is pretty easy when you control 50% of it. Suggesting the same for you.

Jackalvin

1st raid, Rich Explorer, Temperate Forest.
Bob- Okay Fred, there's a pirate with a blunderbuss. It's really inaccurate, so just stay behind this large wall
Fred The Lab- Bork
Bob- Here he comes! Get Ready!
*Bob shoots with charge rifle at The Naked. Two rounds hit. Fred wanders out of cover*
Bob- Fred! Get over here!
Fred- Bork
*One lucky shot hits Fred smack dab in the head, blowing it off and spraying viscera over Bob*
It was the second day though.
-Insert Witty Joke Here-

kubolek01

Quote from: Jackalvin on March 28, 2018, 08:24:35 AM
1st raid, Rich Explorer, Temperate Forest.
Bob- Okay Fred, there's a pirate with a blunderbuss. It's really inaccurate, so just stay behind this large wall
Fred The Lab- Bork
Bob- Here he comes! Get Ready!
*Bob shoots with charge rifle at The Naked. Two rounds hit. Fred wanders out of cover*
Bob- Fred! Get over here!
Fred- Bork
*One lucky shot hits Fred smack dab in the head, blowing it off and spraying viscera over Bob*
It was the second day though.
More fits to one of my colonists. I had to revive him 2 times! 2!!! (Brain shredding shots both times)

Indoril120

One of my favorite colonies, Rimville, had a whole slew of problems that stretched on for years, and the animals were spared none of the misery. My original colonist's cat, Swampy, got hounded by a warg and lost an eye before I managed to kill the beast. She probably would have been better off being warg-chow in the long run, but I couldn't have known that at the time. As winter set in, temperatures dropped to a brisk -40C, and with so many other problems plaguing my colony (food shortages, lack of wood, and lack of warm clothes), I overlooked poor Swampy. The poor thing just started falling apart from frostbite. She lost one of her paws and her tail at first, then her other three paws when the heating went out in the shelter I put her in. Eventually the food ran out entirely and we had to eat everything - dead bandits, dead colonists, and sadly, the pets too. Swampy was served up as kitty kibble alongside the huskies. The colony went on to flourish after three hard years, but we never forgot the ones who died to make that dream a possibility.
RIP Swampy cat. X'(

df_inc

In my latest game an Elephant managed to get into the compound as I was demolishing and rebuilding a wall.  They ended up trapped in my 'dining room'.  I was unable to tame them, had no way to feed them and was faced with the prospect of watching them slowly starve themselves to death.  Before that sad ending though they went crazy and rampaged through the dining area, ending with a more hastened death.

Lessons to learn when building with roaming wild animals nearby!

Shurp

And you never thought to just open a wall so they could wander back out?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

df_inc

The thought was there, the action was not.  :-\