Add a Homesick mood penalty

Started by Crow_T, January 28, 2018, 08:23:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow_T

The basic narrative of Rimworld is that people crash land on a planet and want to get back to where they were going- I think adding a Homesick mood penalty makes sense. It can start out small after a year and remain pervasive and/or grow as time goes on, or it can come and go randomly. I'd also like to see a "Losing Hope" penalty after certain events, like after X number of raids or other big negative events. Obviously the severity of the debuff would be based on several factors like personality and relationships with other colonist/animals. The big picture is that these kinds of feelings will give more of a push to progress forward in the game.
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

Harry_Dicks

There is already a mood modify in the game similar to what you want but a different name. When your pawns first crash land they get a mood buff from a new colony, that starts waning over time. I think it could be related to your colonies' wealth.

You are asking for an increased difficulty on mood over time that will have zero remedies or interaction with the player. Essentially a ticking malice? Unless that was toggle-able or had a way to interact with it, I don't think this would add any value to the game.

Crow_T

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 28, 2018, 11:06:35 AM
There is already a mood modify in the game similar to what you want but a different name. When your pawns first crash land they get a mood buff from a new colony, that starts waning over time. I think it could be related to your colonies' wealth.

You are asking for an increased difficulty on mood over time that will have zero remedies or interaction with the player. Essentially a ticking malice? Unless that was toggle-able or had a way to interact with it, I don't think this would add any value to the game.

* I also said it can come and go randomly, similar to the pyro spree. I think as a broad idea it works in the context of the story, obviously balancing it to make it interesting is difficult- but game balancing rarely is easy ;)
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

jamaicancastle

It might work as an optional game condition, like the planet killer but less severe. Every year or so your pawns all get a stacking say -3 or -5 until you leave the planet.

When I read the thread title I actually thought it would apply to colonists who were in caravans for too long (i.e., away from their home map), and I was thinking it might be neat to have that and a wanderlust trait that would negate that mood and give a negative mood if they don't go out on caravans.

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 28, 2018, 11:06:35 AM
There are actually two sets of mood here: New Colony Optimism/Hope are one-time moods with a fixed duration that happen when you first start out. When they run out, they're gone. Low (or Very Low or Moderate) Expectations moods are tied to the map's wealth but aren't limited in time; if your wealth drops for whatever reason, it can cause those moods to come back.

Mufflamingo

Lol same. I thought it was a caravan/second base that misses their home(main colony).
Bleeeee. . . . .