How to increase FPS with tons of mods?

Started by Jan2607, January 28, 2018, 06:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan2607

I'm using a lot of mods and I like to speed up the game when nothing interesting happens. This causes a heavy FPS drop.
Is there any solution to optimize the game?
I'm currently using RuntimeGC but it helps not that much.

My computer actually runs "only" on 8 GB RAM. Would it help to use more RAM?

Bozobub

The only "solution" to date, is to play on Linux, instead of Windows.  Yes, really, I'm not making fun of you.
Thanks, belgord!

Jan2607

Well, that is not really an option for me :D

Canute

I don't think Rimworld run's better on Linux, you don't just run out of memory since rimworld is 64 bit under linux.
But i can be wrong since i never did it.

Play one smaller map and world help a bit .

But you should rethink about your mods a bit.
Addig the x weapon mod with similar weapons don't realy enhance your gameplay expierence.
You should keep a basic modset of QoL/Tweak mods and then add a few theme mods to play a colony with these.

Jan2607

But... There are so many great mods :D
I don't run weapon mods, just one turret mod (More Vanilla Turrets). The other big mods are Rimatomics, EPOE, A RimWorld of Magic, Misc. MAI and Hospitality.

The map I commonly play on is 300x300. Smaller maps don't have enough space to get my colonists to their defense positions in time.

Bozobub

Quote from: Canute on January 29, 2018, 09:30:19 AM
I don't think Rimworld run's better on Linux, you don't just run out of memory since rimworld is 64 bit under linux.

Addig the x weapon mod with similar weapons don't realy enhance your gameplay expierence.
You should keep a basic modset of QoL/Tweak mods and then add a few theme mods to play a colony with these.
You are incorrect, according to those who have tried it.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=38015.0
Thanks, belgord!

Mufflamingo

Quote from: Bozobub on January 29, 2018, 09:59:58 AM
Quote from: Canute on January 29, 2018, 09:30:19 AM

You are incorrect, according to those who have tried it.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=38015.0

That thread gave me nosebleeds.
Bleeeee. . . . .

Bozobub

..?  Whatever.  Regardless of our opinion, either way, YES, several people who have tried both versions have seen significant performance improvements running the Linux version, most especially when running large numbers of mods, even for less-optimized versions of Linux (such as Ubuntu/Mint).  This makes oodles of sense, considering the Linux executable is 64-bit, as opposed to Windows' 32-bit, which solves many memory issues immediately.  Additionally, Linux simply has far less CPU and RAM overhead for the OS, in general, allowing that many more CPU clock cycles for RimWorld, instead ;).

Please note, I'm no Linux "fanboy"; I use Windows almost exclusively (where most of my games live).  Nevertheless, facts is facts; I'm also no OS bigot.

@Jan2607:  More RAM won't help at all, most likely, because ALL 32-bit processes are restricted to 2 GB of address space, by default, although 32-bit processes running on 64-bit Windows CAN see some potential benefit from setting the "Large Address Aware" flag — which is already the default for RimWorld, by the way — enabling the process to address 4 GB, instead of 2 GB.  Unfortunately, however, this does nothing if you're using 32-bit Windows.  Your 8 GB of RAM is way, WAY more than the Windows version of RimWorld will currently be able to use, that simple ^^'.

Sadly, the only way more RAM will help your current situation, is if you commonly have your system's memory simultaneously crammed with other tasks that eat a LOT of RAM, while running RimWorld, forcing excessive use of your page file (virtual memory).  While certainly possible, I strongly doubt this is the case.
Thanks, belgord!

Jan2607

So, if I'm understanding it correctly, a 64-bit version of RimWorld for Windows would help to adress these issues?
Why is there none? Did Tynan state anything if there will be one in the future?

Bozobub

Tynan, AFAIK, has specifically said that there *is not* a 64-bit Windows version of RimWorld coming soon, but I'm no dev and this is also my hazy recollection of third-hand info, at best; "YMMV" ::).

Be that as it may, yes, you should see better performance for RimWorld on Linux, because there the executable is already natively 64-bit, most especially concerning your issues with lots of mods.  You might want to check out that thread; there are 1 or 2 mods that don't work quite right in the Linux version, if you decide to go there, although fixes are available from what I can see.

Personally, I don't care to bother, but I also run *zero* mods ^^'.
Thanks, belgord!

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Mufflamingo on January 29, 2018, 10:30:18 AM
That thread gave me nosebleeds.

What? Why?

Also to the OP: I was running up to 320ish mods at one point. I'm now down to 150 and things are so much better. You have no idea the pain I have went through, cutting out "essential" mods from my list. I am now a broken man...

But really, what I did was make a list of "must haves" for me. Things like Fluffy's and Rainbeau Flambe's mods. And a few content ones, too, like Rimatomics, Dubs' Bad Hygiene, Rim of Madness, and a few others. I made my new necessary list, and then started slowly adding back onto the list from my collection of downloaded mods, in order of their importance to me. Once this list got up to a little over 100 mods, then each and every addition I make to the list is highly considered beforehand. I know one smaller mod won't make that much of a difference for performance, but if you keep telling yourself that, then when you have 200 small mods choking your CPU you will start to think a bit differently!

I combined all the mods that were simply one patch into my own "patches mod." I'm not sure if it helps with load times or anything, but I would think having all of my patches in one file is way better than 30-40 individual ones. I've also started my own "frankenstein" mod, that I have so far put a few of the small things, from a lot of bigger mods, into one mod for me with the stuff I wanted. For example on Medieval Times, I think it adds way too many armors and weapons, so I just take a few things from there. So far, my Frankenstein mod consists of all of these things:

Visible Pants
Shutdown Mechanoids
Death Rattle
Idle Pawn Fix
JTZone Buttons
Lush meadows
Fire and Cold wands, and heads on spikes from Filthy Orc Invasion
A few pieces of armor from Medieval Times, along with the desk, book making, braziers, hearths, throne, art, street lamps and parapets
Room Stats
Dodging Rebalanced
More single pieces of apparel from random other mods
Advanced Hospital Bed and Vitals Monitor from CTS
Longrange Pod Launchers
Pyres
Modular Tables
Vanometric Buildings
Embrasures
Toxic Suit
Toxic Drugs
Thermal (anti heat) Suit
256x256 melee and ranged weapon reskin pack
Leather Coats
Nanoskins (custom)
Animal Hoods (and some extra animal hoods)
Some more I'm sure I've forgotten.

My point is, I think I originally thought that there were a lot of mods that I really didn't want to give up, but it was only for maybe a few things inside of them that stood out to me. It really isn't too difficult learning how to manipulate things in xml. But by me creating my own amalgamation of piecemeal mods, I was able to cut down on my CPU overhead enough to make a difference. And at this level, every bit helps! I also understand that this can be outside of the scope of what some people are willing to deal with. But if you are, and have no life like me, I think it is a worthwhile investment ;)

Jan2607

You had 320 mods and cut it down to 150?  :o
I'm at ~20 mods and I thought, that would be much...