Lower impact of Disfigured status on social interactions

Started by Grubfist, January 29, 2018, 12:30:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grubfist

Half my colonies devolve into social fights because everyone gets minor eye wounds, which are always permanent and make a character count as disfigured. It's kinda ridiculous for someone to get so much hate because they took a bullet to the eye defending the colony or got a burn scar on their eye putting out a fire in the main hall. It really doesn't feel like it makes sense. Either that, or heroic actions need to somehow be added to the social impact as a way to counteract it. I'd propose making it a -5 or -8 however, rather than the -15 it is now.

patoka

agreed. i also have unreasonably many insults in my games and it seems like everyone is a wuss and cant take the sight of a correctly tended to lost finger or toe. especially lost toes seem so unimportant to me. personally, i have never thought any less of a person for injuries like that. ok, eyes might be a bit creepy or if your nose is missing, but lost toes, fingers and scars dont impact me in the slightest. quite on the contrary. i find scars to be sexy and from what i've heard i'm not alone on that. especially scarred men seem to be viewed as very masculine.

from a balance perspective i have no idea, i havent played the game for long enough. BUT to me it just seems to make bionics even mightier since they get rid of scars and missing limbs, as far as i can tell it also removes the uglified state of a character.

and from a gameplay perspective it is very frustrating because i cant do much about it. sure, git gud and dont lose limbs and stuff, but a beautiful person with a scar, a missing toe and an injured eye to count as ugly? :/
i'd much rather look out for not accepting teetotalers in my chemically interested tribe; that at least i can influence actively.
and it doesnt look like facial reconstruction surgery is ever going to be a thing, so lost noses will be creepy forever...not even luciferium can solve that.
surely you dont need to rebutcher corpses that you already half butchered if you leave the table to smoke a joint real quick?

grrizo

Yeah, it's silly.
I have a genocide colonist who eats people and kill prisoners like cattle (and he already killed cattle in a break) but everything it's okay with him.

Oh, but the blind dude with his eyes scarred? Everyone hates him. He fighted against every single raid and tended almost every hurt colonist. But that doesn't care, he is disfigured.
Lavish meal, now with extra Yorkshire terrier meat.

Third_Of_Five

I agree.

There's also the aspect of normalization that isn't taken into account. If most of your colonists are disfigured and spend a lot of time around other disfigured people, eventually they're just going to become used to it and won't be bothered by it anymore. Desensitization by repetition and all that.

AileTheAlien

Maybe this impact could be dependent on social ties to the person? For example, everyone in town might know that Old Joe is missing an eye, but he's an OK person. The travelling trader Fancy Felicia isn't used to seeing disfigured people, so is uncomfortable when trading with Old Joe.

Injured Muffalo

Quote from: AileTheAlien on January 30, 2018, 08:08:27 PM
Maybe this impact could be dependent on social ties to the person? For example, everyone in town might know that Old Joe is missing an eye, but he's an OK person. The travelling trader Fancy Felicia isn't used to seeing disfigured people, so is uncomfortable when trading with Old Joe.

I was slightly surprised that a traveling misandrist trader didn't react to my male buyer via price or whatever.
A muffalo encountered a vimp near a patch of sweet vegetables. A struggle ensued. The muffalo gored the vimp with its horns. The vimp bit the muffalo with its beak. Finally, the vimp was bested, sending large chunks of its flesh in every direction. But the muffalo was injured. It shed a single tear.

sick puppy

this was actually one of the first things i wanted to write about, but most things have been said

overall i can only say that the current system is unbalanced. not too badly, but it seems to me as if two pawns that dont currently like eachother that much will never ever get a good relationship or just not hate eachother's guts.
i think it's a bit silly that the game practically forces you to arrest pawns and make all pawns wardens that hate that person (or vice versa) and chat with them until they are besties. i dont know about you guys, but that's not how i make friends. when i changed schools i tried to eat with my new class mates in the canteen as often as possible, hang out with them in our free time, give them lil presents and stuff. not abduct them and make them suffer stockholm syndrome.

Grubfist

Quote from: sick puppy on January 31, 2018, 04:12:11 PM
not abduct them and make them suffer stockholm syndrome.
It's not stockholm syndrome, they just explain how wonderful this colony that harvests organs is and build up trust. I mean, half the time the prisoner was someone that just tried to kill them, it takes a lot of time to become trustworthy after that.

That said, the relationship between recent prisoner/warden is always the best because it's the only consistent way to make pawns socialize positively :X

sick puppy

Quote from: Grubfist on January 31, 2018, 04:38:47 PM
Quote from: sick puppy on January 31, 2018, 04:12:11 PM
not abduct them and make them suffer stockholm syndrome.
It's not stockholm syndrome, they just explain how wonderful this colony that harvests organs is and build up trust. I mean, half the time the prisoner was someone that just tried to kill them, it takes a lot of time to become trustworthy after that.

That said, the relationship between recent prisoner/warden is always the best because it's the only consistent way to make pawns socialize positively :X
q.e.d.