Stacksize

Started by Jan2607, January 30, 2018, 08:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan2607

Since years of playing RimWorld I had always a question, which I never asked: What is the reason for the stacksize for most resources of 75? :D

Hans Lemurson

Because once you add that 76th item, it's just too cumbersome.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Injured Muffalo

I'm going to venture because 75 is what a healthy colonist can carry.
A muffalo encountered a vimp near a patch of sweet vegetables. A struggle ensued. The muffalo gored the vimp with its horns. The vimp bit the muffalo with its beak. Finally, the vimp was bested, sending large chunks of its flesh in every direction. But the muffalo was injured. It shed a single tear.

Jan2607

Quote from: Injured Muffalo on January 31, 2018, 04:33:31 AM

Then why is 75 what a colonist can carry?

Dashthechinchilla

Quote from: Jan2607 on January 31, 2018, 06:26:18 AM

weight and carrying capacity. A healthy colonist can carry about 75 of most items of average weight.

What I really question is why the pawns only cook one meal at a time. Who makes only enough cooked potatoes for one person?

SzQ

Quote from: Dashthechinchilla on January 31, 2018, 11:34:01 AM
What I really question is why the pawns only cook one meal at a time. Who makes only enough cooked potatoes for one person?
I do :-\
Now that's the question that deserve it's own thread. There totally should be a way to cook many meals at once faster than cooking them severally. Even at current stove it should be possible to cook few meals at once. Just give us premium stove extremeplus to cook 10 meals at once.

Usually contemplating my personal spacetime reality at
stream

Jan2607

weight and carrying capacity. A healthy colonist can carry about 75 of most items of average weight.

Yeah, but what is the reason why Tynan did set it to that value? Your answer is like "A tree is a tree because it's a tree" :D
But is there any reason behind Tynan's decision?

And there is a mod for cooking 4 meals at the same time, called "Feed the Colonists".

Hans Lemurson

Yes, 75 seems like an odd and arbitrary number.  My guess is that it was in fact chosen arbitrarily.  Maybe 50 was too small and 100 was too big, so Tynan decided to use the average.

A healthy pawn can carry 75 units of wood just as easily as 75 units of cotton, so it's clearly not about weight.

It's also not an inherent stack size limit, since Hay, Wool, and Kibble can be stored in much larger piles, but are only carried 75 units at a time.

it's not even clear how you would decide what the "right" size for a stack should be in the first place.  I mean, what does "one unit" of steel even represent?  Sure it has a weight, but the things it can be used for by no means correspond to said weight.

Kiter5

extra large capacity CrockPots for all!

Quote from: SzQ on January 31, 2018, 01:55:48 PM
I do :-\
Now that's the question that deserve it's own thread. There totally should be a way to cook many meals at once faster than cooking them severally. Even at current stove it should be possible to cook few meals at once. Just give us premium stove extremeplus to cook 10 meals at once.

Jibbles

The stacksize limit used to bother me but I got over it.  I like it since you can make multiple piles around the base. Pawns will have quicker access to most materials since they're in various locations.  I do wish there was a toggle to merge items that aren't fully stacked in a specific pile. Not sure why that's not a thing.

Canute

Do you ever tryed to carry 75 single can's of coke ? They just weight 25 kg, but i don't think you manage it to carry them all without help of some tools ! :-)

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Hans Lemurson on January 31, 2018, 09:16:56 PM
Yes, 75 seems like an odd and arbitrary number.  My guess is that it was in fact chosen arbitrarily.  Maybe 50 was too small and 100 was too big, so Tynan decided to use the average.

A healthy pawn can carry 75 units of wood just as easily as 75 units of cotton, so it's clearly not about weight.

It's also not an inherent stack size limit, since Hay, Wool, and Kibble can be stored in much larger piles, but are only carried 75 units at a time.

it's not even clear how you would decide what the "right" size for a stack should be in the first place.  I mean, what does "one unit" of steel even represent?  Sure it has a weight, but the things it can be used for by no means correspond to said weight.

Hauling and weight are peculiar in this game.  Within the map, it matters less than it does in caravans, where it is a major constraint.

Being incapable of carrying 100kg any distance but watching a cook single-handedly tote an elephant 3x max sniper range in a matter of hours is pretty amusing.  Presumably they're taking some kind of elephant carrying berserker pill for this special occasion, otherwise someone who could carry an elephant this way could also snap raiders in two bare-handed with little effort.  I wish I were that strong.  I'd join the NFL or something and literally just push-throw the center into the QB every play regardless of shotgun formation, commanding the highest salary in this history of the league.  Good times.

sick puppy

(3 new replies were added before i could send this message)
dunno. maybe in the first few alphas or even pre alphas tynan found 75 to be a good balance? i mean it not only has an effect on stack sizes but also on how much pawns can carry and most importantly how many times they have to walk to build something like a duster, big machines, long cables and so on. so while it may seem arbitrary it could totally be an active choice of balancing.
doesnt explain why an injured pawn can only carry 70 cloth but 70 rocks aswell.
the choice for making hay for example stack up to 200 and neutroamine and silver for example to 500 i believe is because they are small amounts/light, therefore you could store loads of these in reality in small space. on the other hand, why you arent able to store 75 spears in pile which are essentially a thin piece of wood, isnt explained this way either.

the best explanation i could come up with is balance.

Hans Lemurson

Quote from: Canute on February 01, 2018, 05:18:22 AM

Do you ever tryed to carry 75 single can's of coke ? They just weight 25 kg, but i don't think you manage it to carry them all without help of some tools ! :-)
75? Sure.
76? No way.  That last one just keeps falling off all by itself.

jamaicancastle

Quote from: TheMeInTeam on February 01, 2018, 12:36:07 PM
Being incapable of carrying 100kg any distance but watching a cook single-handedly tote an elephant 3x max sniper range in a matter of hours is pretty amusing.  Presumably they're taking some kind of elephant carrying berserker pill for this special occasion, otherwise someone who could carry an elephant this way could also snap raiders in two bare-handed with little effort.
No, you see, the secret is that in the future, they have invisible hand trucks. And sleds. And wheelbarrows. (Hey, it makes as much sense as raiders lighting fire with their minds and orbital trade ships being able to beam your stuff up through solid rock.)