Animal Mods

Started by tymur999, February 05, 2018, 06:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tymur999

Are there any animal mods which allow animals to stay in their pen, but automatically retrieve food if needed? I am tired of cows walking around base, which is causing dirt and is kind of annoying.

wwWraith

Just put their food in their pen ;) Or make their pen somewhere where they can graze.
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

tymur999

I have hay, but not long enough to sustain any animal until the next harvest. Is it possible for animals to only eat grass if it's in their diet?

wwWraith

It's possible if you have enough grass ;) Though probably they may eat hay and other things, too, if it's in their allowed area. You can try Smarter Food Selection if you want more control on what your animals (and colonists, and prisoners ;) ) eat (the B18 version is on Steam or Github: https://github.com/Wishmaster01/Smarter.food.selection/releases).
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

Kori

I sometimes make their whole pen a growing zone, set it to grass (Vegetable Garden mod), install some skylights (Dub's Skylights mod) and one or two small heaters.
I usually have way too many animals, but even during very long winters they rarely need any hay and I feel better because their barn is cozy.

Just make sure to use no other plants than grass for this, because they will always eat the whole plant so even haygrass wouldn't be worth it (growing time 7 days vs only 2.5 for grass).

Mufflamingo

Install animal husbandry mod. Its a must have for farmers!
Bleeeee. . . . .