[B18-1.0] Monster Mash (v4.0.4) (Changed Frameworks and Dependancies)

Started by ilikegoodfood, February 01, 2018, 09:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilikegoodfood

Monster Mash

Description:
The RimWorlds contain a broad variety of Earthly and artificial animals, ranging from tiny squirrels to the extinct megasloth (megatherium), from chemically useful boomalopes to rogue bioweapons.
Yet, here in the lawless Rim, far beyond the reach of the shining cities and ethics review boards of the GlitterWorlds, many a mad scientist or budding entrepreneur has attempted to establish themselves as a new giant in the field of genetic manipulation. Regardless of how well their creations were received in the journals back home, the beasts they forged still roam, wild and untamed, in the wildernesses of the RimWorlds.

This mod aims to implement a (hopefully) large number of interesting, dangerous and exotic creatures to the game; some serious, some fanciful.

Currently implemented:
Carrion Crawler - A huge land snail that roams the arid shrublands in an unending quest for prey. This acid spitting, flesh eating beast is a beautiful native creature of some RimWorld's. It's shell makes for a fine furnishing to any room.

Inferno Beetle - A giant dendrevour (tree eater) that converts timber into chemfuel. Originally developed as a means of industrial espionage in the timber industry, the creature was abandoned due to its powerful flaming spit.

Land Kraken - A small, soft bodied, and lethal predator. Reasonably easy to kill but extremely dangerous in melee combat, the land kraken is armed with eight bladed tentacles and a poisonous bite. It sprays a cloud of ink to defend itself when shot.

Polar Colossus - An immense bear-like cyborg, the result of illegal experimentation with Mechanoid technologies. This monstrous beast is armed with an integrated power-core and thermal lance assembly. This assembly can be sergically extracted and transfered to human colonists, providing significant bonuses.

Sanguine Drake - A large predatory lizard developed for military operations on arid and desert-like worlds. Tough to kill, ride-able (with Giddy-Up!), capable of transporting goods and a fierce fighter, they far surpass camels or horses. In addition to their formidable capabilities, they are able to fire blood from the capillaries around their eyes at ballistic speeds, inflicting a powerful anti-coagulant venom, both from the blood-spray and their bite.

Other Features:
Full prosthetics suite for the Land Kraken while A Dog Said... is installed.
Monster Sighting (Event) - A random event that spawns a small number on Monsters on your colony map, regardless of normal biome-locking. They'll hang around for a few days and then leave again.
Thermal Core (Building) - The thermal core of a polar colossus, modified and mounted into an external casing. This structure functions as a powerful heating unit, but it dies after a quadrum of use.
Thermal Lance Assembly - The thermal Lance Assembly is a set of three archo-tech equivelent prosthetic parts that can occasionally be purchased from tarders, or harvested sergically form the Polar Colossus. All three provide significant bonuses in their own right, and when all are installed on a paw. the pawn gains full use of the Thermal Lance Assembly, granting them a ranged attack option (scales according to body size). The parts are:
Thermal Core: Comfotable Temperature Min - 40, Max -10 (results on a human is a comfortable temperature range of -24 to +16)
Optical Firing Assembly: +2 Accuracy and Aiming Time reduced by 10%.
Thermal Lance Firing Assembly: Provides a powerful bite attack that does both bite and burn damage.

In Progress:
Due to circumstances i will not discuss, I am taking a long break from RimWorld modding. I still have so much I would like to do with this mod in the future, but that may be delayed indefinitely. I'll let you all when I resume.

Installation and Compatibility:
This mod is Dependant on the Verb Expansion Framework (Steam Workshop) (Forum). Make sure that you have downloaded the latest version of VEF and placed it in the load order before MonsterMash.
This mod automatically detects and adjusts for the presence of the following other mods:
A Dog Said... (Steam Workshop) (Forum)
Giddy Up (Steam Workshop) (Forum)

Monster Mash should be loaded after all of the mods that it depends on. So, if you have A Dog Said... installed, the load order for those mods should be Core, Verb Expansion Framework, A Dog Said..., Monster Mash.
It should be safe to add this mod to existing save files, but changing mods mid game is always risky.
In theory, if no pawn, component, or resource from this mod is anywhere on your map, it should be possible to remove it from an active game, but I wouldn't recommend risking it.

Downloads:
For RimWorld 1.0
SteamWorkshop
DirectDownload (Dropbox)

For RimWorld B19 (Final Version)
Direct Download (Dropbox)
Steam Workshop

For RimWorld B18 (Final Version)
Direct Download (Dropbox)
Steam Workshop

This mod is intended to work alongside such great mods as the Animal Collab Project (Steam Workshop) (Forum) and the Megafauna mod (Steam Workshop) (Forum). Similarity in creatures should be minimal.
B18 also has combatibility for Combat Extended. Versions after B18 do not, nor will likely ever have CE compatibility.

Bugs and Localizations:
German: Monster Mash has been generously translated to German by Trunken.
Due to limitations in RimWorld core, the translations for the conditional A Dog Said prosthetics cannot be released yet. I'm working on a solution.

Please report any bugs that you find to me, so that I may try and solve them. When reporting a bug, please provide the error log and mod list.
I only speak English, so I cannot make localizations for other languages. If you know how and speak those languages, please feel free to create localizations and I can incorporate them into the core mod (Credits will be given).

Credits
A Dog Said... Animal Surgery (Steam Workshop) (Forum), created and maintained by spoonshortage. A mod that provides Animal Prosthetics and operations systems. Some A Dog Said... definitions are used in my mod for compatibility purposes.
Megafauna (Steam Workshop) (Forum), created and maintained by Spino. A fantastic animal addition mod that acted both as the inspiration for my mod and an excellent template from which to learn.
Verb Expansion Framework (Steam Workshop) (Forum), created by myself. A brand new framework designed to facilitate the various new features that I wish to implement in this mod.

License:
If you're a modpack maker and want to include Monster Mash or if you are a modder and want to use it as the basis of a derivative or similar mod, please feel free to do so. I only ask that you let me know about it and credit me where appropriate.

ilikegoodfood

Creature Gallery
    All images are currently from the final B18 version of the mod. The B18 Gallery can be viewed on Imgur.

Carrion Crawler

Inferno Beetle

Land Kraken

Polar Colossus

Sanguine Drake

Change Log:
    Version 4.0.4:
    • Carrion Crawlers will now only breed once adult.
    • Inferno Beetles will now breed.
    • The Legacy version of the Polar Colossus is no longer tradeable. This is to prevent new one being acquired from tarders.
    • The new Thermal Core can now be used to build the old Thermal Core building.

Version 4.0.3:
    • Carrion Crawlers will now breed
    • Added biome compatibility for AlphaBiomes
    • Inferno Beetles drop Chitin if AlphaAnimals is enabled
    • Animals from Alpha Animals that have tentacles can now benefit from Monster Mash's suit of prosthetics

Version 4.0.2:
    • Reworked Polar Colossus
    • - Polar Colossus always spawns with Thermal Lance Assembly Hediffs
    • - Implemented Thermal Lance Assembly HediffSet
    • - Implemented Thermal Core Hediff and Item
    • - Implemented Optical Trageting System Hediff and Item
    • - Implemented Thermal Lance Firing Assembly Hediff and Item
    • - Implemented Sergeries to allow implantation of all of the above into Humans (and all other animals when A Dog Said... is enabled)
    • All Animals, items and buildings are now tradable

Version 4.0.1:
    • Implemented cooldowns on all creature ranged verbs. They now fire slightly less frequently as a result.
    • The Land Kraken now releases ink when shot at (using VEF's smokepopDefense Comps).
    • Rebalanced spawn rates accross all biomes. They now appear a little more frequently and their territories overlap a little more.
    • Added support for all modded biomes from the following Mods: Advanced Biomes, Nature's Pretty Sweet, Realistic Planets, and Terra Project.
    • Adopted new version number scheme and patchnotes format to better match those I'm using for the Verb Expansion Framework.

Version 4: Removed dependency on ModCheck and the Animal Ranged Framework. MonsterMash is now dependant on the Verb Expansion Framework, made by myself to better fascilitate my goals for this mod.
    Version 3.02: Increased trade value of Thermal Core and Carrion Crawler Shell. Made all monster tradeable as AnimalFight. This means that combat merchants will stock and trade them.
    Version 3.0.1: Reset Meat Quantities to default, increasing meat harvested from the monsters by ~18%.
    Version 3 - Updated to 1.0.
    Version 2.0.1 - Fixed Inferno Beetle Shader and duplicate Bear Meat.
    Version 2 - Updated to B19.
    Version 1.4.1 - Hotfix to remove Carrion Crawler Leather when using CombatExtended. Increased Carrion Crawler armor and hit points when using CombatExtended. Update in-game about section.
    Version 1.4 - The Carrion Crawler, a massive flesh eating snail, now wonders through the arid shrublands of the RimWorlds.
    Version 1.3.4 - Hotfix that modifies various things: Inferno Beetles now understand that their shots create fire. Inferno Beetles now will not fire too close to allies. Inferno Beetles create slightly less fire. Polar Colossus now eats approximately 50% more. Total Bleeding Rate is now effected by blood pumping; lower blood pumping will reduce bleeding and higher will increase it.
    Version 1.3.3 - Hotfix that expands the range of the Land Kraken all the way north, and south, to the Cold Bogs of the arctic and antarctic regions.
    Version 1.3.2 - Hotfix to add in the additional body parts that I had planned and subsequently forgotten for the Polar Colossus in 1.3.1.
    Version 1.3.1 - Reconfigured the ranged attack of the Polar Colossus and other minor fixes.
    Version 1.3 - The Polar Colossus now wanders the frozen wastes.
    Version 1.2.1 - Small update to re-balance combat power and market value.
    Version 1.2 - The Sanguine Drake now roams the arid wilds.
    Version 1.1.3 - Monster Sightings event now implemented.
    Version 1.1.2 - Minor hotfix to update in-game mod description.
    Version 1.1.1 - Full A Dog Said... compatibility for the Land Kraken and its many new body parts and organs. It's all included in this mod, without the need for a seperate compatibility mod.
    Version 1.1 - Release the KRAKEN!
    Version 1.0.2 - Change diet type of the Inferno Beetle to match the Thrombo. It now eats hay and can be tamed directly.
    Version 1.0.1 - Adjusted harvestable insect meat quantity from the Inferno Beetle.
    Version 1 - This is the very first release and only includes a single organism at the moment.[/list]

ilikegoodfood

Reserved

Shinzy

Reserved! :p

Daww I wasn't quick enough to get inbetween your reservations

SzQ

Usually contemplating my personal spacetime reality at
    stream

Harry_Dicks

Awesome! Congrats on your release, bud. Also, remember that rouge is french for red. It would have to be the French to make a red bioweapon. Those dirty, dirty frog people! ;D

ilikegoodfood

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 01, 2018, 10:26:17 AM
    Awesome! Congrats on your release, bud. Also, remember that rouge is french for red. It would have to be the French to make a red bioweapon. Those dirty, dirty frog people! ;D

Thanks, fixed.

QuotePost small picture of created creature.
    Screenshot is on the way, just trying to get them to line up correctly. :D

EDIT: I have turned the 1st reserved post into a creature gallery, with all compatible mods enabled, so that everything is visible at once.

Harry_Dicks

Hahah holy crap, thinking about how crazy combat can get. So now, we can have pawns riding a battlemount. But we can also have both the pawn, and the mount, fire both of their ranged attacks. AND you can even do it while on the move!

I love all the diversity of mods that we have, it's so much fun trying to mix and match them. I am absolutely convinced that this is the path forward for games, for me at least. And not trying to have a "pissing contest" of people's time spent playing games, but after playing for 25+ years I am very, very particular about what I want, and usually know within five minutes whether or not I will think a game is garbage. I'm older now and knowing exactly what I want, so I refuse to waste my time on subpar games that I know will just further disappoint me if I were to actually devote time to them. The games I play don't necessarily have to have tons of content in their base game, as long as the devs are going out of their way to make things easier for modders. Really, how could a single company compete, content wise, with an entire community of dedicated and extremely talented and varied artists, programmers, and whatever else is needed to go into mod making. Maybe a single company could, but the cost overhead would be so high from having to retain so many employees that we could never have a game like this for $30.

Thank you OP for this, but also the entire RW modding community as a whole. And of course, everyone at Ludeon! :)

EDIT: I would recommend making a base folder for the mod. When you download from dropbox, and go to extract the zip, everyone will need to make a new base folder themselves, rather than being able to just point their extraction program at their RimWorld/Mods folder.

ilikegoodfood

A question on the Steam Workshop page made me aware that this needs to be explained:
    The Inferno Beetle is a Tree-Eater. It cannot be tamed while on the map and is only available through trade, events and/or dev mode.

Once tamed, it can be trained in Obedience and Release. It can be loaded up for caravan usage and, if you have Giddy-up installed, it can be ridden.

EDIT: I have updated the description to provide detailed information on the implemented creature.

ilikegoodfood

QuoteNOTE: Dendrovorous creatures cannot be tamed, but can be bought or arrive pre-tamed from events.

Made and uploaded a small edit:
    The Inferno Beetle now uses the same food types as the Thrombo, so it will also eat hey and be tamed directly by colonists.

RyanRim

Very nice addition, hope this mod grows big. Really waiting for the land kraken.

✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯

ilikegoodfood

Quote from: RyanRim on February 02, 2018, 06:53:06 AM
    Very nice addition, hope this mod grows big. Really waiting for the land kraken.

In that case I think that you'll be very glad to know that I have the first iteration of the Kraken working in vanilla, except that it refuses to hunt and it has no graphic yet.
    While soft bodied and easy to kill, the creature's eight tentacles are capable of ripping a colonist apart in fairly short order (2-4 seconds - I just watched it happen).

I made certain simplifications, such as not adding individual suckers along the tentacles, but otherwise it's pretty accurate to life.
    It contains mostly new bodyparts (Beak, Mantle, Siphon, Tentacle, Gills and a Kidney-Liver hybrid), some of which will be replaceable and transplant-able if you also have A Dog Said... installed (when I work out how to add new prosthetics and operations and patch them into A Dog Said...).

EDIT: The Kraken now works fully in vanilla RimWorld. Will start examining/working on the compatibility patches soon.
    They may take longer, as I will need adjust the way my patch files are, so as to split them out into sub-files, learn how to make prosthetics using A Dog Said... and create a Simple and Bionic Tentacle for the Kraken.
    Once those are all working, I would like to try and make a more potent venomous bite, but I'll probably release it without and then update the Kraken's Bite Damage Def as a hotfix.

Harry_Dicks