Disabling events/incidents in 1 out of 2 colonies. Or changing them on the fly.

Started by Harry_Dicks, February 01, 2018, 12:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry_Dicks

EDIT: I've kinda expanded/changed my idea and the title, or what I think would be great to have to make my scenario possible, that you can see in my second post in this thread.

I have been thinking about setting up my own "psuedo z-level" through mods, but I need to figure out if it is possible to disable events for one of my maps but not the other. The idea behind my extra level is to use two permanent one way portals, one on each map, with the exit point of one portal next to the entry point of the portal on the opposite map. This is so that I can imagine it as a sort of "staircase" leading to my second map. On the smaller map, I would have to use God Mode to create a wall around the entire edge of the map, to prevent animals and grass from coming in. I can also build a thick roof overhead to never have to worry about drop pods coming through (what happens if you try to send a drop pod to a map that it can't land anywhere?) The stuff that I am concerned about are things happening on the second map that I don't want. For example, raids, plants, weather, poison ships, etc. So I am curious if anyone knows if there is a way, like the scenario editor has, to disable any events/incidents from one map, but not the other. In my imagination, this would be like my dungeon level under my base, so that the only way anything ever gets into this map is through the portal I have deep within my mountain home. Also, I am not concerned at all with pawns moving, hauling, or trying to interact with jobs between one level and the other. I just want to be able to send them to my dungeon whenever I want ;)

These are the mods I will use, along with the reasoning:

Set-Up Camp: use this to make small maps, you can customize the size in mod options, and these camps can also be permanent, so you don't have to have a pawn there. I will probably use 50x50 starting off.
Advanced Roofing: able to create thick stone roofs, so that drop pods can not come through, essentially like a mountain overhead.
TMagic: permanent one way portals, among other totally freaking awesome stuff. Try this mod out if you haven't already!

Another issue I was thinking about was raids. Say I can disable raids on my second map, but would it be possible to have the value of that map added to my first one, so I still receive appropriate level raids? This isn't too big of an issue for me, because I can always swap storytellers or ramp up the difficulty as needed. Lastly, I know there would be other issues that might pop up like this one, that aren't too apparent to me at first. If anyone else can think of other issues that I might have, please let me know, so that I can evaluate my options to try and find a possible solution.

Also, are raids even able to happen if there is no available cell for them to spawn into from the map edge? I want to say I've seen something like this for animals, but I am not 100% sure on either one of them.

Anyone that's able to help in anyway, even just pointing me in the right direction for more resources, I will be greatly appreciative. Thanks!

jamaicancastle

This is possible with modding, but probably not the scenario editor. To disable incidents for the second map, you'd want to fiddle with the incidents' targetTypes and the code related to them. (This would unfortunately be a C# problem for sure.) Chaining maps together would be a little difficult, but totally doable. What you'd want to do is look through buildings on the map, and if any of them are ladders, look up the map they connect to and add its wealth to yours. (There's a little more to it than that but that's the general idea.)

I was looking through the wanderer code lately for some modding and I can say 100% that it does look for a cell on the perimeter that can reach the colony, and if it doesn't find one, it won't fire. I don't know if raids are the same way.

Harry_Dicks

Well I ended up changing the post title, because I started thinking about this after reading about it in another thread:

Quote from: Canute on February 02, 2018, 04:27:07 AM
Maybe try something special for your next colony.
Use a basebuilder Storyteller
But add at the Scenario editor
1-2 Create incident Enemy raid with repeating 3-7 days.

The storyteller give you non hostile events, while you get raided frequently.

That actually sounds like a really smart idea, but I was wondering if it would ever be possible to take this a step further. Could we ever be able to edit what events/incidents we have available to encounter once the game is already launched? For example, in the scenario editor I can disable infestations. Well, what if I just want to have them disabled for X amount of time until I am ready. The way I'm thinking it works is, if I have them turned off in the scenario editor, then I will only ever get them if I use dev mode.

Any chance for something in the future where we can enable/disable events/incidents after we've already started a game?