Which starting scenario do you play?

Started by NiftyAxolotl, February 02, 2018, 09:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your most common starting scenario?

Crashlanded
24 (52.2%)
Lost Tribe
17 (37%)
The Rich Explorer
8 (17.4%)
None of the Above!
9 (19.6%)

Total Members Voted: 46

NiftyAxolotl

Feel free to vote for two. Choose "None of the Above" if your game is so heavily modded that the standard scenarios are unrecognizable 8)

I became a bit soured on Crashlanded when I felt forced to rush to research Gun Turrets every game, so now I play almost exclusively Lost Tribe to avoid that temptation. Now my colonies usually fail in the first year ::)

Mufflamingo

I start standing (not drop pods) with custom made colonist in prepare carefully and remove all equipments/items and pretend we were outcasts with zero anything to start with.

Then I forage food and lumber then start my cabin. Then I create a layout of my new found town with More Planning mod and viola, a new town has emerged. (After a few years.)
Bleeeee. . . . .

Crow_T

I like Rainbeau's Scenarios, in particular the low tech crashlanded starts. IMO it's reasonable that 3 random people wouldn't be able to build a solar panel right away, but it's still easier than Tribal.
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

Toast

Crashlanded and Rich Explorer, with customizations. I've played the game so much that by now there are certain elements that no longer offer a challenge greater than their tedium (hi alphabeavers), so I customize to exclude them--but otherwise, I think the basic scenarios are just well-balanced and fun enough that I haven't needed to look for others.

Tribal start has some cool aspects, especially in the recent updates, and I'm glad it's in the game, but ultimately it's not the playstyle for me.

Cloud Breaker

The majority of my time with Rimworld has been lone explorer.  I love starting a new colony and rolling my starting colonist and seeing what I end up with.

Since b18 I haven't been caring as much about min / max stats and have been rolling out with pretty much anything cause it makes emergent story so much more interesting to me.  I always bond with my starter colonist on lone explorer and love imagining the pawn as a person and running a narrative in my head while they go about Rim-Worlding.  My oldest colonist is always the colony leader / manager in my mind.  And as they die off it goes in succession really makes it interesting for me.  The colony leader also gets the starting charge rifle.  Ive had some games where that sweet piece of kit has gone for like 10+ years being passed down as people die. 

I enjoy starting where you do in the tech tree.  I actually usually dont get around to researching till the second year lately.  Probably a bad habit but with the tech advantage I have everything I need for that first year.  I tend to build to the map and take advantage of the local situation so bases are unique.  I enjoy planning out a long term base and building towards the initial plan in stages slow over time. 

With crashlanded I find I care less about my colonists for the game.  When you start alone every person you get is a gift and they really stand out and develop personality that I find Im missing when I start with 3. 

Call me Arty

With that title, I thought somebody needed help starting the game up.

I cannot recommend the (I don't remember the name, whoops) more. . . accurate crash landing mod. It can be pretty easy to forget that there was an entire ship to carrying those escape pods. Sure, you get three colonists, that's pretty standard. Open-up Prepare Carefully and: There are no starting items. Huh, that's odd. Start anyway.
Your pods drop. You spawn.
Okay. Pretty standard.
"A cryptosleep block has fallen."

Entire sections of the ship start dropping randomly. Fuel and slag everywhere, fires starting and spreading throughout the map. Rain's been disabled until night. So, what's your priorities? If that fellow crash-landed colonist can walk after you pull them out of a fire, plus, they're a doctor. That' probably going to be helpful for all the burns, fractures, and lacerations. Then again, there's an excellent charge and plasteel mace rifle right in the middle of another inferno, and you have no other weapons. Are those as important as the medicine or food though? We need everyone we can to fight fires, but a fair amount of the colony are doctors working on triage right now, what's more important: The hunter staying alive or the winter clothing? There's only enough medicine for one set of infections, are we letting the best crafter lose a hand or letting the pop idol die?

These tough decisions can drastically change your colony for the foreseeable future. Everything from having a colony of 12 crippled and disfigured colonists from the get-go, to opportunistic clothes salesmen. Food can last the day or the next two quadrums. It's neat. You could also just have lousy luck and have some prisoners containment crash-land right on top of you so they shank whoever wasn't crushed.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Grubfist

I make my own scenario based off of lost tribe. I remove all the animals, improve the weapons slightly, and disable wanderer join and spaceship offer events.

Ra_silk

Quote from: Call me Arty on February 06, 2018, 03:56:37 PM
I cannot recommend the (I don't remember the name, whoops) more. . . accurate crash landing mod. It can be pretty easy to forget that there was an entire ship to carrying those escape pods. Sure, you get three colonists, that's pretty standard. Open-up Prepare Carefully and: There are no starting items. Huh, that's odd. Start anyway.
Okay. Pretty standard.
I need to find that mod, it sounds amazing

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Ra_silk on February 07, 2018, 12:34:54 PM
Quote from: Call me Arty on February 06, 2018, 03:56:37 PM
Okay. Pretty standard.
I need to find that mod, it sounds amazing

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=8967.0

Believe that is what you are looking for. Haven't played it myself since A13 or A14, but remember it being a hell of a fun start! Think the last time I used it, I also combined that with the Ocean biome mod that had receding tides. That had small islands that you coudn't get between initially. All the water on the map would recede revealing the ocean floor and goods to find. Plus you could then access other land areas. Later you could research ways to build access between islands while tide was present. Not sure if that was ever updated from long ago.

loc978

I put in none of the above, but my start is very loosely based on the rich explorer... it's just that instead of weaponry and money, they start with a high-end turret and some basic robots... also usually a portable generator... with very little food or medicine. All impossible without modding the ever-loving crap out of the game, of course.

Oh, I also make it next to impossible to acquire more human colonists... and avoid doing so in gameplay. More bots, more turrets... maybe one MAI companion in a given playthrough.

TheMeInTeam

Tribe tech modified to start with less.  Puts more pressure to use the map ASAP.