Variations of social fights(New Events, and scenes for art).

Started by Call me Arty, February 06, 2018, 01:10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Call me Arty

Social fights are a fine feature, don't get me wrong, I just feel that there would be other ways for colonists to deal with each other than beating on each other, especially when one is definitely lacking in melee ability.

As a preface, I think that colonists attending these events should receive positive moodlets similar to attending a party. After the event, they will receive a positive or negative (short-term) moodlet based on whether or not the pawn they liked the most won or lost it.

Drinking Competitions: A classic. Two colonists, rather than beating the tar out of each other, settle it by taking a bunch of alcohol out of storage and seeing who can dring the most while staying upright. Nothing complicated, they just get, say, ten each and drink in turns until one blacks-out. Now, in the current system, the first one to drink will always be the loser unless they have tolerance. It's a bit of a bummer, but giving people variable tolerances from the get-go is a whole other change for another thread. Only triggers when you have 12 bottles of beer (6 being enough to cause a blackout).

Arm-Wrestling Competitions: Essentially minimizing injuries. Two pawns will sit across from each other if there is a 1x1 surface between them (1x2 tables at the narrow ends, or a chess table). The two colonists will struggle for a bit before one is chosen as a victor (the melee skill and brawler/wimp traits having a lot of influence). During the fight, injuries may occur to the colonist's arms, hands, and fingers including bruises and, in some cases, fractures to bones like the humerus. But hey, at least nobody had a finger torn off or beaten unconscious. Only triggers if you have these aforementioned 1x1 surfaces with chairs/stools either side.

Mutually-Assured Tantrums: Rather than beat on each other, the two colonists take-out their frustration's on their property. They both go to the other's rooms and do their best to break beds, end tables, plant pots, etc. Only lasts a limited time, similar to a mental-break tantrum. They may even go so far as to sabotage one of the other's projects in process (think of an unfinished assault rifle, for example). Only triggers when both colonists have a bedroom.

Duels: An extreme alternative but a logical conclusion. Both colonists will meet in some central part of the colony, and duel. It should only occur if both colonists are equipped with a weapon of the same type (ranged/melee) and will continue to fight until one is either downed or dead. Reserved for rivals who truly hate each other.

Additionally, they would make for more interesting subjects for art than people vomiting or striking your twelfth vein of steel. "On this day, Marion did drink Ox right under the table, as his wife watched with new interest."
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

sick puppy

interesting ideas. at first i thought they kinda blew because many times they wouldnt trigger for some reason (like when you dont have beer standing around or no fitting table or no bedrooms or not the same weapon, but then i realised that that was exactly what made it interesting. now people dont just have all-infantry or all-shooter colonies but they'll try and have it 50:50 so that the possibility of a duel is as low as possible. they'd also try and have beer around that arent for sale.

additionally, i'd implement this rule though: you can only make a drinking competition if the two fighters both have social drinking enabled (a drink a day wouldnt work, teetotaler either)
chemical interest and fascination would always be up for a drinking competition though, which would finally give them a slight upside.

drinking competitions would most commonly be won by men as in reality, because it is a biological fact that women cant drink as much as men. but it would also be interesting if we could implement that people that are used to drinking will be able to drink more. for that you'd need a counter implemented for lifetime beers and maybe other drugs consumed. obviously, having a cirrhosis would make any pawn lose very soon.

about duels: would be funny if that made people use pila more because at max range they constantly miss xD
( i assume that duels alwayshappen at max range where each of the two can hit the other)

kaeh

I think these are really nice ideas !

Now i'm thinking about creating a mod for that, can i have your agreement for creating it, as that's your ideas here ? ;)

angleof9

Quote from: sick puppy on February 06, 2018, 11:17:25 PM
about duels: would be funny if that made people use pila more because at max range they constantly miss xD
( i assume that duels alwayshappen at max range where each of the two can hit the other)

Yeah, it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... wait... you said pila? Sorry, I meant head ;)

kaeh

OK, so... I've start trying to do something, but now I'm blocked and don't see how it could be solved.
When Harmony patching the startSocialFight method, we only have access to the second involved pawn, the initiator being a private member of the class :/.

For now I don't know if I could somehow access it or maybe patching another method (but this one is literally the one we want here)

I'll ask in the modding section and keep you informed.

Edit 08/02/2018 15:04 : It worked, Fereal helped and now it works, the "Alcohol Contest" is in progress ;)

Call me Arty

Quote from: kaeh on February 07, 2018, 05:14:09 AM
I think these are really nice ideas !

Now i'm thinking about creating a mod for that, can i have your agreement for creating it, as that's your ideas here ? ;)

Oh, go ahead man. And while you're at it, see if you can get Jecrell and Rainbeau on some of my other ideas that need to be in the game.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

cultist

I would settle for social fights ending before someone gets killed... I think "beaten to death randomly" is one of the top 5 death causes in my colonies.

Call me Arty

Quote from: cultist on February 10, 2018, 07:48:03 AM
I would settle for social fights ending before someone gets killed... I think "beaten to death randomly" is one of the top 5 death causes in my colonies.

What're the other four?

Alerter

Wow, great job man! I really want to see some of those in the game.

But I would like to comment every type of social fight:

1) Drinking Competitions: love everything about it, great idea indeed. Although, I don't produce alcohol usually, its always better to have two drunk colonists than two colonists without fingers.
2) Arm-Wrestling Competitions: no questions, just nice and balanced social fight.
3) Mutually-Assured Tantrums: very questionable. Its more like a mental break, that may happen when game decides, since player can't control relations between pawns very well. I personally don't want to lose all furniture every day, because of my colonist with psychopath trait (since everyone hates him/her).
4) Duels: very very questionable. You simply lose control of two pawns for a certain period of time, regardless of their mood level (could be frustrating during raids). Losing pawn is also very bad: your psychopath can just shot every other member of your colony in worst possible scenario.

But anyway, there are good points in your idea for sure.

Call me Arty

Quote from: Alerter on February 12, 2018, 08:21:46 AM
. . .
3) Mutually-Assured Tantrums: very questionable. Its more like a mental break, that may happen when game decides, since player can't control relations between pawns very well. I personally don't want to lose all furniture every day, because of my colonist with psychopath trait (since everyone hates him/her).
4) Duels: very very questionable. You simply lose control of two pawns for a certain period of time, regardless of their mood level (could be frustrating during raids). Losing pawn is also very bad: your psycopath can just shot every other member of your colony in worst possible scenario.

Actually, IIRC, Psychopaths never start social fights, but they can be involved in them. I think they can't form negative or positive opinions of anyone, so they're not likely to make rivals. Other people can still like or dislike them though.

Also, I don't see the fights involving destruction or dueling as any worse than standard tantrums, binging drugs, starting fires, or wandering around in the frozen/hostile wilderness until you're starving and exhausted. Besides, you at least won't have to use medicine to fix someone's bruises if they're dead   :D .

Alerter

Quote from: Call me Arty on February 12, 2018, 03:04:15 PM
Actually, IIRC, Psychopaths never start social fights, but they can be involved in them. I think they can't form negative or positive opinions of anyone, so they're not likely to make rivals. Other people can still like or dislike them though.

Exactly. I think psychopaths actually can have negative opinion of someone (if anyone will treat them badly during surgery and this kind of stuff), but it rarely matters, since they gonna insult everyone anyway. Its just very hard for them to be at least "neutral" for other pawns (maybe with pretty or beautiful traits only). I just imagined how my psychopath with highest shooting level will trigger all my pawns to duel him eventually  :D.

Quote from: Call me Arty on February 12, 2018, 03:04:15 PM
Also, I don't see the fights involving destruction or dueling as any worse than standard tantrums, binging drugs, starting fires, or wandering around in the frozen/hostile wilderness until you're starving and exhausted. Besides, you at least won't have to use medicine to fix someone's bruises if they're dead   :D .

I personally never have colonists with pyro/chemical interest traits, so I may play around those mental breaks if my pawns are having good mood. This idea won't allow player to control this random stuff at all, since every colonist will be able to smash your base or hunt his rivals at any moment (only if you will have beautiful colony with kind people only, where every member is a part of a big family).

P.S. its always easier if they are dead :)

Call me Arty

Quote from: Alerter on February 12, 2018, 03:52:16 PM
I personally never have colonists with pyro/chemical interest traits, so I may play around those mental breaks if my pawns are having good mood. This idea won't allow player to control this random stuff at all, since every colonist will be able to smash your base or hunt his rivals at any moment (only if you will have beautiful colony with kind people only, where every member is a part of a big family).

Do the same thing as when Edward Scytherhands is picking a fight with Willy McWimp in the base game: Bludgeon him in the back of the head, and throw him in the Punk Tank for the night. Plus, the M.A.T. aren't supposed to be colony-wide rampages, just both pawns going to the other's room and trashing it. Nothing vital (assuming Ivan Von Instigator doesn't live in the battery storage closet). Most rooms in a colony have doors to punch through before (like normal tantrums) they only deal enough damage to furniture and structures to justify some repairs and cleaning, a lot of the time, nothing even breaks.

gipothegip

This sounds nice, some more social events in general would be interesting.

I believe the traits of the colonists involved should influence what kind of fight / competition they get into. For example, somebody with a chemical interest would be raring to get into a drinking contest.
Should I feel bad that nearly half my posts are in the off topic section?

Call me Arty

Quote from: gipothegip on February 13, 2018, 05:59:16 AM
This sounds nice, some more social events in general would be interesting.

I believe the traits of the colonists involved should influence what kind of fight / competition they get into. For example, somebody with a chemical interest would be raring to get into a drinking contest.

I was thinking the same thing. A couple of my pacifist are shockingly spiteful, so I could see them going for a drinking competition or something similar to it to settle disputes.

cultist

Quote from: Call me Arty on February 12, 2018, 01:27:35 AM
Quote from: cultist on February 10, 2018, 07:48:03 AM

What're the other four?

In random order...

- killed by hungry ninja animal
- died to very early disease (mostly tribal)
- lucky shot to brain/heart from raider/mech
- insects pop up in bedroom