Rubble can block blueprints

Started by Injured Muffalo, February 06, 2018, 04:28:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Injured Muffalo

A tornado went through my camp and destroyed a bedroom. I ordered a bed where the previous one was destroyed, and tried to prioritize the task for my builder. But the only menu option I could get was cleaning rubble. There was a guy repairing the wall too, but the bed is two cells and the cell he wasn't standing on was no help.

I do believe the other cell was more responsive when I tried again later.
A muffalo encountered a vimp near a patch of sweet vegetables. A struggle ensued. The muffalo gored the vimp with its horns. The vimp bit the muffalo with its beak. Finally, the vimp was bested, sending large chunks of its flesh in every direction. But the muffalo was injured. It shed a single tear.

Canute

Sometimes when some other pawn allready working on that blueprint, these option to priority a pawn to do it didn't show up.

If you don't have a safegame to explizit show this behavior it will hard to track down.

Injured Muffalo

I play permadeath, so no saved game.

But I'm pretty sure no one was doing it. Or else they would have hauled the wood over while I was fiddling with the blueprint.
A muffalo encountered a vimp near a patch of sweet vegetables. A struggle ensued. The muffalo gored the vimp with its horns. The vimp bit the muffalo with its beak. Finally, the vimp was bested, sending large chunks of its flesh in every direction. But the muffalo was injured. It shed a single tear.

Calahan

As it stands I don't see how this bug report is actionable for the devs. Since it currents reads as "At a specific moment in the game I wasn't able to prioritise a bed to be constructed, but later on I could".

So unless you can pin down exactly what happened / what the exact situation was (when you couldn't prioritise the bed to be constructed) then I don't see how the devs can do anything with this report. Since there could be several valid reasons why you couldn't prioritise the bed construction, so there's no telling (from the information and lack of save file) whether or not one of the valid reasons applies here.

This might well be a case of a missing feedback message (if no right-click menu appeared when you tried to prioritise the bed construction), but again more precise details are required, or ideally a vanilla save, that reproduces the setup with the missing feedback message.

I'll leave this open for a few days for you to provide reproduction steps or a save game about this bug (as requested in the pinned "How to Report a Bug" thread). But the general rule of thumb is that the devs can't fix a bug unless they can reproduce it. Likewise (re: more info) for a potential missing feedback message.

Injured Muffalo

Make me do everything...

Step 1. Destroy a bed. (perhaps not necessary)
Step 2. Place a bed blueprint.
Step 3. Move a colonist to where the headboard will be.
Step 4. Select a colonist, supposedly to build.
Step 5. Check for context menu. There is none; it is a "missing feedback message."

Rubble may be irrelevant. Hopefully my save too. Try it.

Canute

You know that pawn who walk over blueprints will interrupt the building process (new at B18).
You sure your pawn didn't stand on the blueprint when you try to build it ?

Calahan

Quote from: Injured Muffalo on February 14, 2018, 12:27:27 PM
Step 1. Destroy a bed. (perhaps not necessary)
Step 2. Place a bed blueprint.
Step 3. Move a colonist to where the headboard will be.
Step 4. Select a colonist, supposedly to build.
Step 5. Check for context menu. There is none; it is a "missing feedback message."
Thank you for providing clear reproduction steps. As Canute says, not being able to work on blueprints/current construction jobs if another Pawn is standing on the tile(s) is WAD and new for B18. So this isn't a bug, but it is a missing feedback message (that I will add to the list when I get chance).

Quote from: Injured Muffalo on February 14, 2018, 12:27:27 PM
Make me do everything...
Well it is your bug report, and generally the person submitting the bug report does have to do the majority of the work in adequately describing how the (possible) bug they encountered can be reproduced. Either via reproduction steps or a vanilla save game. And if the person submitting the bug report doesn't provide enough information in their initial report, or if what they've provided is ambiguous (which makes it a LOT harder to work out what bug they are trying to report), then it's only natural to ask that person to provide additional details and/or to clarify what issue they are reporting.

Especially when the missing information is precisely the information requested in the "How to Report a Bug" thread. Namely a save game or reproduction steps. That pinned thread is there for a reason, and primarily so that bug reports are submitted with all the information required for the devs to address the bug.

Anyways, I'll close this now since this is not a bug (but a missing feedback message). And thank you for taking the time to report it, and for providing the additional information required to identify the issue.