Tasers

Started by Arkay_The_Arcane, February 06, 2018, 04:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkay_The_Arcane

Should be pretty self-explanatory. Basically a very close-range (if not melee) weapon that can only down the person that got hit. Because it can be pretty OP in some situations (berserk colonist, jail break, getting prisoners) it could be balanced by making it a pretty high-tech thing in the research menu, having it be rather expensive to make, and have a very long charge/reload time.

sick puppy

yeah good idea
the only reason to not implement tasers is that they are a very powerful tool
i have a few ideas on how to "nerf" them though:
- you have to fully load them at a loading station like a battery.
- you only have one shot each, then you need to reload.
- only touch range
- although strong attack (can knock out a healthy naked pawn with one shot easily), most armor and clothing will have strong resistance against it (except stuff like steel helmets)
- tech researchable just before charge rifle
- not usable through shields

OFWG

It's been suggested many, many times. Search for 'taser'. It's even in the 'frequently requested' thread.
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

O Negative

I think the problem with tasers and other non-lethal weapons is that they make dealing with psychotic breaks way too easy. You would only need one non-lethal weapon to deal with any number of berserk colonists, so balance can't be done with cost.

As an alternative, I think it'd be nice to have the option to build a psychic sooth emanater as a late game item. Would have an electric upkeep, and give colonists a slight mood boost (same as random event). Preventing bad moods is better gameplay than shutting down already triggered mental breaks, I think.

jamaicancastle

Quote from: O Negative on February 07, 2018, 05:32:27 PM
As an alternative, I think it'd be nice to have the option to build a psychic sooth emanater as a late game item.
There's something similar to that as one of the randomly-generated quest rewards in B18. However, it only has a limited radius, and you can't build or buy them, only get them from missions.

Bolgfred

I was think about modding a taser myself, and my solution for dealing the OP-ness, was to add a hediff "electrified" which reduces manipulation and conciousness. Every taser shot adds ~20%. On a value 50+ there is a chance for a heart attack/braindamage, and above 80% this chance is 100%.
By this a taser is good at diabling/debuffing people, but if used too much the customer might die, which makes the weapon pretty balanced I think.
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil