[B18] (WIP) Lord of the Rims - A RimWorld Collaborative Project

Started by jecrell, February 18, 2018, 12:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Call me Arty

So, are we looking at a Rim of Madness / Rimsenal (kinda) / Vegetable garden where the project itself is modular (we can choose to have specifically the Orc pack, the Biomes of Middle Earth pack, the Helms Deep siege pack, etc) or are we just getting "Lord of the Rims" wholesale?

On an additional note, how dedicated to the source material are we getting? I personally really liked the Cosmic Horrors mod over, say, the Star Wars mod, because it felt like we were just encountering the twisted monstrosities that deep space has to offer, rather than two intellectual properties colliding. To simplify it, are we going to encounter "A race of slender and graceful pointy-eared humanoids in-tune with nature" or are we encountering "Wood Elves previously populating the city of Rivendell in Middle Earth fleeing the scourge of the One Ring forged by Celebrimbor"?

Quote from: DiamondBorne on April 19, 2018, 06:59:15 AM
I'm curious about the direction/feeling of this mod collab. Will this be a 1:1 recreation of LoTR or a 'what-if' style where Middle-earth denizens has  survived Dagor Dagorath and achieved space travel?

Woops, sorry, completely missed that when I was reading through, didn't want to be redundant.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Umbreon117

Quote from: Call me Arty on April 23, 2018, 03:48:25 PM
"Wood Elves previously populating the city of Rivendell in Middle Earth fleeing the scourge of the One Ring forged by Celebrimbor"?
Uuuhh...Nani? I...understood "Middle Earth".  :o That's it...Shows my knowledge on Lord of the Rings.

Anyway, this I second this much more knowledgeable persons question. Such a thing would definitely be nice.
I'll shoot your colonists...After a long nap.

Call me Arty

Quote from: Umbreon117 on April 23, 2018, 09:26:55 PM
Anyway, this I second this much more knowledgeable persons question. Such a thing would definitely be nice.

I'm not that knowledgeable, I just wikied a couple things (didn't know Tolkien had elf varieties). I even kept out the fact that they've got an extra special name (Silvan Elves) so I wouldn't come-off as too geeky.
Main point being: Finding an assault rifle in Rimworld is fine. Finding an ArmaLite AR-15 just feels a bit. . . off. I know the whole point of the mod is adapting Tolkien's works, but I'd go to the LOTR movies, books, or games if I wanted to be immersed in that world.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

MCreeper

I think devs said that there will be an option to enable\disable vanilla thingies.

Bombadil

Some people want an authentic LOTR experience, some don't. How do we please everyone? We can't, unfortunately. What we can do is make it all modular, that way people pick and choose what they want. How the components will be dividied up is not yet fixed, but we'll most likely have a standalone factions pack, for example. Personally, I will want to play with zero modern tech and no electricity. So I will use the LOTRims mods and other mods, if needed, to make the style I want. In regards to the specificity of items, like the example of the assault rifle vs AR 15, there may be some named weapons, like the sword Sting.

Call me Arty

Quote from: Bombadil on April 26, 2018, 06:13:10 PM
In regards to the specificity of items, like the example of the assault rifle vs AR 15, there may be some named weapons, like the sword Sting.

Thank-you for answering my question, though, I do have a couple issues with your decision for Sting.

Sting is, by all means, an special elven shortsword. No problems with that, as a different type of human (Rimworld lore) or entirely different race (Tolkien lore) would certaintly have different ways of smithing. Same reason I'd have no issue with calling a Zweihander and Katana by their respective names, rather than just "sword." Sting's different though. It's got a title, and it's got an enchantment of sorts. There's only the one Sting, and it glows blue when orcs are close (and is, allegedly, the bane of spiders). If you make more than one Sting, it's no longer special. If you make just the one Sting but it doesn't have it's special effect, it's not Sting, it's just a disproportionately rare, run-of-the-mill, elven shortsword.
It's your mod, not mine, and I - though I would if I could - am not contributing to it, I only hope to provide some constructive criticism. Your effort and ideas are impressive, no doubt. Although, as somebody who really loves the game and is interested in this mod, I'm slightly concerned. From what I can determine, the Lord of the Rims mod would be excellent for something along the lines of a standard fantasy RPG lacking on the non-human or mystical, while it chlashes with Rimworld's existing universe. Maybe it will be a "hey, you got your peanut butter in my chocolate" clash, though it seems to me like a "hey, you got tuna in my fruit salad" clash. The legendary, one-of-a-kind items (Glamdring/Foehammer and Orcrist) and otherwise exceedingly rare items (such as the nineteen Lesser Rings) don't really mesh well with Rimworld's "better make an assembly line because everything's going to turn to dust one day" mentality.

Bombadil

There would only be one of each named weapon allowed in the world.

Tomasdav

Quote from: Bombadil on April 27, 2018, 11:39:40 PM
There would only be one of each named weapon allowed in the world.
yeah thats pretty stupid with about 100 faction places per planet good luck finding that Stinger

Bombadil

Yeah, it would be really stupid to put just one weapon in the world and leave it to chance to get it. That's why we won't do that. There will be a specific mechanism, like a mission or something, to get named weapons.

Call me Arty

Quote from: Bombadil on April 28, 2018, 06:15:07 PM
Yeah, it would be really stupid to put just one weapon in the world and leave it to chance to get it. That's why we won't do that. There will be a specific mechanism, like a mission or something, to get named weapons.

Well, that'd be interesting, I'm just curious about how you'd go about making it so that you can only get an event/weapon once, and how you'd make it special beyond the average sword (glows when Orcs are close). Both of those are features I've never seen in a mod before, so pardon me if I was just expecting those to not be part of LOTRims.