Guard animals for farm animals

Started by Mufflamingo, February 06, 2018, 10:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mufflamingo

Is it possible for animals (dogs, wolves, bears) to be assigned to protect domestic animals (chckn, cows, pigs)?
Bleeeee. . . . .

Toast

Not really. You can zone the bears etc. in with the livestock but they will not attack a predator preying on the cows unless you assign them to a pawn, send the pawn in to battle and tell them to release the animals, and by then the cow is probably dead.

The predator hunting alert mod would give you more time to react to such a situation, though. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1216424468

Mufflamingo

I would really like to have a feature like this. Is it possible through mod? Add a training for animals called Guard after obedience. The gist is, they will engage in wild animals that attacks colony animals. At least my farm animals are okay.
Bleeeee. . . . .

Toast

I also think it would be a nice feature. In fact, I'd like for human pawns to be able to be set to "Guard duty" too. Something for all those assassins and sheriffs to do besides sit on their useless butts between raids.

Canute

Currently the best protection are to build fences or walls to seperate your animal from the predators.
A mod just give your a warning when a predator is hunting something from you.

And about the protection.
Sure it would be nice to give animals this kind of training. But at the other hand do you realy want this ? When your dog try to fight some bear or other strong predators ?
Then this training would include pack tactics, so they never hunt stronger predators alone.

Grubfist

Quote from: Canute on February 07, 2018, 02:32:26 AM
Currently the best protection are to build fences or walls to seperate your animal from the predators.
A mod just give your a warning when a predator is hunting something from you.

And about the protection.
Sure it would be nice to give animals this kind of training. But at the other hand do you realy want this ? When your dog try to fight some bear or other strong predators ?
Then this training would include pack tactics, so they never hunt stronger predators alone.
Dog? My guard animal would BE a bear.

kingy10005

If some kind of pack hunting was added like if my hunter try to fight a big animal that's dangerous it would be nice for it to make two hunters team up same with if you have a farm and a bunch of chickens and want to have a wolf or two to attack dangerous animals on sight could then have more uses to keeping a attack animal fed plus message to let you know it's happening sounds like a good idea for the base game :D

Mufflamingo

My guard is a fcking Drake from Ni'Hal Mod. Hahaha.
Bleeeee. . . . .

sick puppy

Quote from: kingy10005 on February 07, 2018, 07:06:34 AM
If some kind of pack hunting was added like if my hunter try to fight a big animal that's dangerous it would be nice for it to make two hunters team up same with if you have a farm and a bunch of chickens and want to have a wolf or two to attack dangerous animals on sight could then have more uses to keeping a attack animal fed plus message to let you know it's happening sounds like a good idea for the base game :D
generally it would be nice if dogs and wolves hunted on their own

BoogieMan

I've tried, but no luck. No shepherd dogs for you. Animals don't seem to perceive anything that doesn't happen to them directly outside of being told to attack. Even then I sometimes have issues getting them to attack hostile animals.

mebe

I've had some success with tame wargs - give them no food source except what they hunt and restrict them to an area. They get pretty hungry and attack things wandering into the area - this sort of works for keeping the immediate area around your base free from critters, including things like foxes that get hungry, sneak up close to the base and chew on the eyeballs of your favourite crafter.