[Tool] cookiecutter-rimworld-mod-development : Build a Mod In 30 Seconds or Less

Started by fyarn, February 10, 2018, 11:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jptrrs

For those like me, scratching their heads after installing this cookiecutter in VS and getting only a blank window, don't despair. First, you gotta add the "Data science and analytical applications" package, back on the Visual Studio Installer (and it takes a while to download).
Now, on with the modding using the fancy tool...

redxlaser15

How, just, what? I installed it and opened the zip folder and there is a whole bunch of stuff that I have no clue what to do with!
I don't understand the labelling and stuff in there, and the 'readme' is super confusing to me too.
Seriously, just, how?
Supposedly you don't need this 'visual studio' thing, but how do I ensure I'm not using it? What four options buttons are you talking about?

Mehni

I spent more time fighting the very peculiar environment the cookiecutter sets up than it will ever save me. In the end I found it quicker to set up a solution manually. If you set it up right once, you can even export your project as template and subsequent mods will be ready to go in a few clicks.

The wiki has very detailed instructions on how to set up a solution, and it works well. https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Modding_Tutorials/Setting_up_a_solution

slgray16

It seems i don't have cookiecutter installed, or I am running the command in the wrong location.   

C:\>cookiecutter gh:n-fisher/cookiecutter-rimworld-mod-development

'cookiecutter' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

The cookiecutter instuctions are just a link to a GIT solution.  How do I install it?   Does it need a path entry?

WinnieTheJinping

I'm having the same problem. PIP is firing, but apparently cookiecutter is not installed anywhere. I've spent a good half hour googling a solution and have yet to find any
Edit:
1) Had to add cookiecutter to path. This was helpful: https://cookiecutter.readthedocs.io/en/latest/installation.html
2) Visual Studio 2019 had to have the FULL Python workload. IDK why, but it works and I don't want to break it.

Now I have cookiecutter. And all because I just wanted to see if i could get it up. I don't even need it HAHAHHAHA

WinnieTheJinping

Quote from: slgray16 on June 10, 2019, 12:23:04 AM
It seems i don't have cookiecutter installed, or I am running the command in the wrong location.   

C:\>cookiecutter gh:n-fisher/cookiecutter-rimworld-mod-development

'cookiecutter' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

The cookiecutter instuctions are just a link to a GIT solution.  How do I install it?   Does it need a path entry?

Yeah it does

Chanka

For anyone using this for version 1.1, you need to change the .NET Framework version to 4.0.

This can be found in the Project Properties>Application>Target Framework.

Marvolath

I'm trying to use it with Visual Studio 2019. I already have git, python and cookiecutter installer, but when I can't find the template in File>New or in the Visual Studio Installer. Any idea? 😟

I'm still able to create the mod using the console (cookiecutter gh:n-fisher/cookiecutter-rimworld-mod-development), so I'll use that meanwhile :)

LWM

Marvolath

.Net 4.7.2 compatibility package was already installed, but the SDK wasn't.
I've installed the SDK but there is no change.

Rexow

This first line of tutorial is giberish for me:
1. cookiecutter gh:n-fisher/cookiecutter-rimworld-mod-development

I have no Cookiecutter in my VS, is it becos I didn't done whatever this thing is saying ?

superhot

Hi. Is this Tool available if I use Jetbrains Rider instead of VS? Or at least with VS Code instead of Community?

LWM

The line from the tutorial `cookiecutter gh:n-fisher/cookiecutter-rimworld-mod-development` is a command-line command. You may have to install the cookiecutter tool if your system doesn't have it already. If you use the command line to create the frame for your mod, you should be able to open it in VS/VSCode/whatever.

There are a few open issues you should be aware of - you can see them on the github page.

Missilenight

Hey there  :),
I am aware that his thread hasn't been active in quite a while, but there is a minor issue that I had with cookiecutter and the github template.
I followed all of the instructions as stated in the github tutorial but, when prompted with "_visual_studio" I keep getting prompted with "Error: Unable to decode to JSON".
I do admit this is the first time I have ever used Cookiecutter, but I tried with some other templates (mainly from the cookiecooker tutorial on github and a few forks from the rimworld github) and they were successfully setup.
Any suggestions or solutions as to how to resolve this JSON issue would be very appreciated  :D .

(I attached a picture of the console when just submitting everything as default, showing the error underneath somewhere, it's my first time posting so I don't know how this works  :'( )