Strange washed-out graphics on new macbook pro (Resolved)

Started by Toast, February 12, 2018, 02:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toast

I've been playing Rimworld since A15 without many issues. I just recently upgraded to a new Macbook Pro, and after the switch, Rimworld suddenly looks overexposed, like all the blacks are washed out greys and everything is too bright. It's like it needs gamma correction, but I can't find any gamma correction settings in the game. Example screenshot: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1299727846

It doesn't make sense to me that everything looked fine on my older computer but the new one is having this problem. I'm not sure how to fix it. Any suggestions?

It's a Macbook Pro 15-inch 2017 with an integrated Intel graphics card and also a Radeon Pro 555.

nccvoyager

So, first thing I would suggest is to run the colour calibration utility on the device.
The default colour profile that Macbooks use is, apparently, quite "washed out" and not at all vibrant.

If this does not fix the issue, then try disabling the "auto-brightness" setting.
It seems that Macbooks, especially those with a "Retina" display, as of the OSX "El Capitan" update, automatically increase the gamma (or increase the brightness and decrease the contrast) of the display if the system thinks the screen back light is too dark for the surroundings.

If this solves the issue, but you still want auto-brightness, check this forum link (the source for my offered solution) wherein the second post provides instructions for the alternative method.
*External Link*
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4004031

Toast

The auto-brightness setting was absolutely responsible. What a dreadful "feature." :P  Thank you for your help.

Calahan

Glad to hear you managed to solve this, as I seen your screenshot in the bugs thread and can't imagine trying to play the game the way it looked.

@ Nccvoyager - Thanks for the help as always!

nccvoyager

Indeed, glad that the problem is resolved.
(In theory, the auto-brightness "feature" works well at what it is supposed to do; increase the visibility of the screen if the backlight is insufficient. In practice, however, the fact that it uses the gamma ramp instead of brightness just makes it annoying, rather than useful.)

@Calahan, no problem. Snow here again (and more debt) so I probably won't be on more than once a week at most.
Of course, not too much going on in the support section at the moment, so not that big of a deal.