[Request]Sex And babys

Started by Robertmra, June 07, 2014, 06:17:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

decanus

I am not so keen the main topic line as with most of my colonies life span they would be lucky to get to labor let alone repopulating my defense line, but i wouldn't mind some sort of animal husbandry/domestication of animals for a steady supply of meat and maybe milking if muffalos are anything like cows, tho failing that we could also have squirrel milk :o could alway blame the animals faster gestation on some genetic modification from research

xXXXFLINTXXXx

what if when the colonist have been social together their chances for a sexual relationship grows? P.S. my other idea was they can only be have baby's in royal beds
and when they have a good relation ship they want to see each other (when separated loyalty or happiness goes down and when put together loyalty or happiness goes up!)  :P

TheNakedM24Man

llunauk

I want this also.  If people don't like it or want it then maybe just add a option 'Human Breeding On / Off' and everybody is a winner yay!

It would pave the way for a lot of mods or expansion if there was a want for it.  The whole idea of building a school for the children to go and learn colony skills from sounds good aswell as grown ups.  Maybe add a science lab to grow vat babies / clones.  Its a vast area and easily added too and very much something I'd expect from a world that already research high tech. 

Dragoon

Quote from: llunauk on July 06, 2014, 01:57:35 PM
I want this also.  If people don't like it or want it then maybe just add a option 'Human Breeding On / Off' and everybody is a winner yay!

It would pave the way for a lot of mods or expansion if there was a want for it.  The whole idea of building a school for the children to go and learn colony skills from sounds good aswell as grown ups.  Maybe add a science lab to grow vat babies / clones.  Its a vast area and easily added too and very much something I'd expect from a world that already research high tech. 

I second that if you don't want it simply don't enable it  ;D after all vatgrown babies are already a thing in this game. Just look at the back stories.
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

AstronauticalFerret

Get to end game, people finally want to have kids, wait 25+ years to bring them up in game, hit a base population cap, ASTEROID TO THE BASE! Start over with your offspring to build anew among the ruins of their parents and loved ones! *evil laugh*. How to make the game literally infinite.

Viperlol

Well I don't think sex should be in the game but instead should you have the technology and research, you could take two biologically compatible people and create a vat child at the cost of greatly injuring the "parents" for genetic material. Resulting in waiting 15 days or so for rapid vat growth until said child is 16 years old and an expendable member of your colony.
When in doubt, rely on everyone else to fix up your .xml

teyhouse

Quote from: Viperlol on July 07, 2014, 11:20:55 AM
Well I don't think sex should be in the game but instead should you have the technology and research, you could take two biologically compatible people and create a vat child at the cost of greatly injuring the "parents" for genetic material. Resulting in waiting 15 days or so for rapid vat growth until said child is 16 years old and an expendable member of your colony.
I think we should at least consider the option to clone people if "making" them is to "Sim-Like".

ps0705

Quote from: absentminded on June 12, 2014, 02:52:47 AM
What if, in Rimworld, pregnancy was a liability, not free colonists.
I completely agree with this. Relationships and having children should add to the challenge of the game. Not as a source for additional colonists. It would make the colonists more unpredictable, and perhaps more loyal to protect their offspring.

Additionally you could add gameplay elements like tribals or mechanoids abducting babies, similar to abductions in DF. I could think of several more events, not to mention negative and positive thoughts.

Seeing as this is posted as a request on the modding subforum, I don't really see how it matters if this is relevant to rimworld or not. It's relevant as long as someone wants to try it out!

llunauk

We have some nice big double beds and yet our colonists sleep alone.  Why arn't they pairing up with members of the opposite sex?  Under such conditions the closeness between colonists would be magnified.  If said colonists are gay then it'll be VAT Babies in the science lab.   I think it would be silly and immersion ruining if our colonists didn't have children.

Kirid

Yelling "The Sims" doesn't really explain anything about the reasoning behind not wanting children.
Look the game Space Colony, its sims in space without playing dollhouse, yet you still care for their basic needs.
They are all 3 simulation games. Take X people and keep them alive(or not) in this location while you build.
In all 3 games the people are free to roam, yet you assign or tell them to do specific tasks.
What Rimworld and Space Colony do not do is micromanage each activity in the peoples lives.
What The Sims does not do is have groups of raiders with mortars tearing your people apart, then giant laser-shooting robots coming in to finish the job.

Rimworld already includes cannabalism and slavery, because its a part of human reality. As is sleeping, food, not liking to be shot, insanity.
Childbirth, friendship, private property are just as much a part of that reality.
You can't rollerskate in a muffalo herd

Dragoon

Quote from: Kirid on July 12, 2014, 11:02:51 PM
Yelling "The Sims" doesn't really explain anything about the reasoning behind not wanting children.
Look the game Space Colony, its sims in space without playing dollhouse, yet you still care for their basic needs.
They are all 3 simulation games. Take X people and keep them alive(or not) in this location while you build.
In all 3 games the people are free to roam, yet you assign or tell them to do specific tasks.
What Rimworld and Space Colony do not do is micromanage each activity in the peoples lives.
What The Sims does not do is have groups of raiders with mortars tearing your people apart, then giant laser-shooting robots coming in to finish the job.

Rimworld already includes cannabalism and slavery, because its a part of human reality. As is sleeping, food, not liking to be shot, insanity.
Childbirth, friendship, private property are just as much a part of that reality.

I agree children would be important to the game.
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

TenSaidYes

I hope this gets done. I'd love to see it happen.

I know that there's an in-game 'pregnant' trait, so obviously the thought has come up once or twice over the course of development, even though currently the traits do nothing and it's just meaningless flavor text.

Personally, I'm hoping that the AI storytellers are eased WAY THE HELL back in terms of how quickly things escalate, and the process of getting to the point where you can just hop off the planet is scaled up to take quite a bit longer, so that colonies really -can- run for long enough to see the need to reproduce as a viable part of the formula. As it is, it's either -GTFO within a handful of weeks- or die at the hands of an invading army of raiders.

Unless you play on friendly, which I find terribly dull, it ends up being a 'run away or die' experience, rather than a 'thrive, survive, and build up your society to the point it can return to the stars' experience. Which is sad, because that's quite an appealing feeling.

Dragoon

Quote from: llunauk on July 12, 2014, 07:01:46 PM
We have some nice big double beds and yet our colonists sleep alone.  Why arn't they pairing up with members of the opposite sex?  Under such conditions the closeness between colonists would be magnified.  If said colonists are gay then it'll be VAT Babies in the science lab.   I think it would be silly and immersion ruining if our colonists didn't have children.

well about the sexual orientation thing would that be like a 3rd trait or what?

Luroshard

I think that sexual orientation should be included in a sort of information tab for colonists as it would create more of a story, make colonists more diverse, and add a variety of different decisions to be made such as capturing and recruiting raiders in order to fill in the gaps for the sexual reproduction that is lacking because of the conflicting sexual orientations.