What's the most lacking part of Rimworld for you, and how would you improve it?

Started by Call me Arty, February 13, 2018, 03:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kori

In that case I'd love to see the implementation of Ammo.

I think the only reason that this isn't part of vanilla yet is the missing inventory.

sick puppy

Quote from: BetaSpectre on February 19, 2018, 02:54:05 AM
Lack of colonist inventory - a colonist can't carry items efficiently like how someone with a backpack should be able to.
not sure what you mean by this. how would you implement carrying a killed thrumbo or centipede, then? do you have to take them apart in that very place with something like a butcher spot?

East

1. Rim World game wants to absorb some famous mod.
It does not hurt the balance of the game, but it maximizes convenience.
For example, allow tool, stack merger, medical tab, blueprints mods.
There are certainly modes already there, but many people seek the completeness of vanilla. And expects continuity compatibility.

I want to see a list of the items on the map. Now only indirectly through the list.

Improved scenario editor. I want to create a sort of story, but I only offer editors that are too restrictive. Two or more of the same events are also blocked. It is impossible to put an attack order on a specific date.
If Tainan is going to improve and open the topic, I will include more details.

In-game world maps are still boring and uninteresting. I hope he will bring it up to an exciting level when playing with the Rim World World Map alone. So I will send out the colonists to play the game with World Map.

I have nothing to do in a late game. Enemies were weak, food was overflowing, and doctors were trained.
I think need to the boss, the wave of the enemy, some action to get the score, the wonders and so on.

sick puppy

Quote from: East on February 22, 2018, 07:03:39 AM5.
I have nothing to do in a late game. Enemies were weak, food was overflowing, and doctors were trained.
I think need to the boss, the wave of the enemy, some action to get the score, the wonders and so on.
this one is solved easily. turn up difficulty

East

Quote from: sick puppy on February 22, 2018, 09:36:58 PM

I played at the highest level of difficulty, raised the difficulty of the mod, and put the raid option once every four days.
Hardcore SK mod is also completed.

The difficulty does not change the battle pattern itself.
If the defensive line is above a certain level, the enemy number will only cause a delay in the game.

Contents other than raids are needed from a certain property size.
I think maybe it will be solved if the world event becomes more interesting, but the world event is not fun right now.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: East on February 23, 2018, 01:59:51 AM
I played at the highest level of difficulty, raised the difficulty of the mod, and put the raid option once every four days.

If the defensive line is above a certain level, the enemy number will only cause a delay in the game.

I think maybe it will be solved if the world event becomes more interesting, but the world event is not fun right now.

This furthers my belief that we need to be able to edit the "scenario options" on the fly after the game has started, or at least a mod that will allow us to do this. Say I am late game, and I want to have a raid recur every 5 days, and have eclipses always coming and going, and/or whatever other specific events/incidents/raids I want to have turn completely on or off, or set them up on recurring intervals, which I can further adjust when I actually turn on or off or change the interval date for whatever scenario options that I want.

Maybe I want a raid every 5 days, but not start until year 7? I feel like we are forced to make all of the decisions in the scenario editor before we start our game, but we will want to change a lot of this stuff later on. Or maybe the player changes their mind half way through, but now they must restart a whole new game simply because they cannot change these things after the game has started. Frustrating.

sick puppy

Quote from: East on February 23, 2018, 01:59:51 AM
Quote from: sick puppy on February 22, 2018, 09:36:58 PM

not sure what mods you use but it might be the mod itself that makes the game easier for you. sure, not all of them do, but still quite a number. personally, i dont play mods that make the game noticably easier. but i guess that's just me.

you can change story teller though. i'd go from chillax to cassandra at least. randy tends to be easier than cassandra, but he will sometimes swing so hard it almost breaks the space/time continuum. just trying to say that if anybody, randy WILL eff you up.

Ser Kitteh

While we're at it, can we make the scenario editor better?

I want to make quests appear every 5 days but can't. Considering that it can take chance and you can go YEARS without an AI persona core, I see this is a glaring issue. Antigrain, serums, those are luxuries. AI persona cores? Yeah, that's an important thing to get.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Ser Kitteh on February 24, 2018, 10:22:43 AM
While we're at it, can we make the scenario editor better?

I want to make quests appear every 5 days but can't. Considering that it can take chance and you can go YEARS without an AI persona core, I see this is a glaring issue. Antigrain, serums, those are luxuries. AI persona cores? Yeah, that's an important thing to get.

If you want, please show support for this on the thread I've started for it. I'm hoping if it gets enough attention, then maybe we can see some changes. Or at least hope that a modder might make something happen. ;)

Boston

Non-powered, or "primitive" play. Right now, vanilla Tribal starts are little more than speedbumps to electricity and the same things offworlder colonies have.

Mainly, this is due to how ineffective non-gunpowder weapons are. Believe me ornot, but an arrow to the heart or lung will kill you just as dead as a bullet will.

Kalre

JDDoolin

First Post! 
... which I hate to make all whiny.  This is a real fun game, and I've wiled away many enjoyable hours playing it.

My Micromanagement Play Style
The question is, "what's the most lacking part of Rimworld for you".  As it is, I am constantly trying to restrict them to zones where the important work is to be done, and changing their priorities so they focus on the important work of the moment.  And rather than playing at speed 3, I am pausing the game to fix all the zones, and priorities. 

It could be, that making fixes to make micromanagement easier does not lend to a better game for most people.  So long as you're keeping your people fed, raids and other dangers are correlated with your colony's wealth, rather than the amount of time passed.  This means that being efficient with your time by micromanaging your colonists doesn't really benefit you in being ready for the raids.   You might recognize my problem to be more of one, that perhaps I am trying to micromanage my colony too much...  Perhaps I would enjoy the game more if I just accepted that my colonists are going to waste a lot of time walking across the map, and just played on speed 3 all the time. 

But for players like me, who do like to micromanage, I would say these are the most lacking parts of Rimworld:

Menus are Too Mouse Intensive;  Context Sensitivity is Not Redundant Enough

I'm often a bit frustrated at how mouse-intensive and context-sensitive the menu-system is.  Or rather, how badly the interface recognizes correctly what context you want to be in.

For instance, when I want to expand a zone, I would expect that when I click on the zone, the option to expand that zone, or clear parts of that zone would become available.  Instead, I have to select the zone, then hit tab or Architect, then check whether the zones tab has been selected, and if not, then select it, then click on expand zone, or delete zone. 

When I have a character selected, and he's running off to go plant something, if I want to change his work priorities, I can't do it from the character's character page.  Rather, I have to open up a spreadsheet of all the characters, then search for that character in a list, and then find the relevant category, and change the number. 

How I would Improve It

I can imagine a couple of ways to improve this.  One would be to give the player a keyboard shortcut to straight to the end of menus, like a macro that would execute several things when a single key-combination were selected "click, tab, zone, e(k)pand, manage, new" for creating a new animal zone, for instance.  Another option would be to give some of the menu options in the architect menu a keyboard shortcut.  And a third option would be to make some redundancies in the menus.  So, for instance, when you click on a stockpile zone, expand zone, and shrink zone should be in that menu, as well as in the architect->zone menu. And work priorities should show up in the individual character tab, as well as in the "Work" tab.

Caravan Menu Should be Editable

One other thing is that the "Form Caravan" screen should be continuously available as long as the caravan is not under way.  When they are packing for the caravan, you have the option to cancel the caravan, and start over.  But you don't have the option to change your mind about who is going, or what is being brought along, or which direction they are setting off.   (Edit; others have discussed this issue:  https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=39192.0 )

sick puppy

honestly, i'd be happy if my colonists actually did what i told them to do.
most importantly quitting a manually priotized job after seconds. on a sidenote also recruited pawns that suddenly go back to their daily job.
the recruits' thingie exists because players sometimes forget that some of their pawns are in war mode and that they dont do anything. switching them back automatically makes some sense, but if you're like me, you hate it. just give me a notification that some of my recruits havent been doing anything for the past minute just like you would if my pawns have no tasks. i click on it and unrecruit them. OR, which happens more often than not, i ignore the notification because i still need my soldiers.

now the other thing is a different story. it isnt too bad, as if you make a bad constructor or generally a slow worker build something huge by manually prioritizing it, he might take days if not weeks to finish it and he'll even forget to eat. well, that's exactly what i want: dont forget to eat. sleeping isnt THAT important. but i guess eating isnt either...i'd get notifications for both anyway if i forgot someone and they have to work their butts off.
the more i think about it the less reasons do i see in a pawn quitting their manually prioritized jobs. like seriously. there just is no reason to do so, especially not after seconds to piss me off. by the way, would be nice if pawns didnt just plant or harvest once if i prioritized it manually on the map. how about the pawn at least continues a few more times? then just go do whatever, but clicking every plant to harvest is annoying as hell and changing work priorities on the work tab is also annoying if i have a system that finally works after so long.

sadpickle

Caravans and their mechanics. Easily the biggest headache of the game.

Headshotkill

1. Ruined city biomes, we've already got the ancient roads and the isolated ruin but a fleshed out mini-biomes featuring the ruins of an ancient metropolis where you can settle with easy shelter but unfertile ground is something I've dreamed of since alpha 1.

2. Rainfall per year having more impact on diversifying tiles within a biome. Basicly the more rainfall per year a tile has the more dense the vegetation in that tile meaning jungle with lots of rain would be choke full of trees while jungle with less rain could start to resemble more of a savannah. The humidity would also determine flamabillity of the vegetation so the dryer more sparse vegetation is more flamable than the dense vegetation which would render the IMO "gamey" firewatcher obsolete, so we have to sometimes react to wildfires instead of waiting for rain, as fireball of death would be extremely rare with this system.