What's the most lacking part of Rimworld for you, and how would you improve it?

Started by Call me Arty, February 13, 2018, 03:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

OK, I take that back.  The range mechanic is far more annoying than the missed shot mechanic.

A bunch of sappers attack my base.  They breach a perimeter wall which was set up a bit distant from my main base (leaving room for expansion), but I figured the range wouldn't be an issue, I had colonists behind some hastily constructed defenses armed with charge rifles that I had modded the range out to 30 to ensure they wouldn't be useless....

...but noooooo... 2/3rds of the raiders have sniper rifles, and stand there outside of range just plinking at my colonists. 

What is the use of researching and manufacturing what's supposed to be the best weapon in the game if you have to head back into your armory and grab a bunch of sniper rifles before being able to shoot back at anything?

The range mechanic simply sucks.  Bullets don't just magically stop when they reach a certain distance.  Sure, sniper rifles should be much more accurate than charge rifles at 50 meters but charge rifles shouldn't be utterly useless.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Names are for the Weak

I wish that plants and animals appeared based on the temperature of the map you were in, not the biome. I've seen iguanas freeze to death just because the biome was technically a desert, but was still very cold.

KozmoD

Talking about animals, is it possible to make them spawn from a specific tile?

Third_Of_Five

Quote from: Foefaller on March 28, 2018, 02:36:47 PM
Two big ones for me:

1.) Lack of uses for surface water. No, I'm not preaching for a thirst meter or irrigation for plants, but I mean more things like the Hydro generator that's already been mentioned for 1.0, things like fishing, bridges, building moats, rafts, water freezing over in the winter and possibly drying up in the summer, Things that make water interesting and potentially useful, not simply a hassle to basebuilding.

2.)Personal interactions between faction members. You get a visitor, they stay for a while, leave... and you often never see then again. I'd love to see land caravans or explorers comprised of the same people that do regular trips (especially if your colony is on or near a road) with pawns making friendships and even romances with visitors. Could probably lead to some new interesting ways to get new recruits as well.

I second both of these suggestions. Especially the second one. There are already events in the game which tell you if a caravan that is arriving has someone among them who is related to/in a relationship with one of your colonists, yet even then there is no interaction between the two groups whatsoever.

Shurp

Interesting idea -- especially if they don't like each other, get in a fight, and negatively impact your faction rating.

Or your colonist falls in love with a trader, marries him, and runs off to join your faction -- and you get a nice faction boost in exchange for losing a pawn.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

greggbert

I'd like to see some sort of incorporation of vehicles
Like to see the ability to build mobile homes that you can pull around the map with animals or vehicles
I'd like to see animals or vehicles like snowmobiles that move quickly in snow.
Also I'd like to see horses,
Like to see more cages, and more uses for precious metals.
Flamethrower traps would be good also.
Also musical instruments like guitars and flute
And give the enemy tribes more personality, such as tribes of all women, tribes of all cannibals, Tribes where everyone has a bionic eye, Tribes that are obsessed with explosives and ride boomalopes.
Also would like to see the ability to construct robots or android colonists.

Sokestu

Vehicle or at least aircraft, I can understand that introducing land vehicule are hard to create but aircrafts for transport is fairly possible,I mean 10 guys may build a starship, able to travel acros stellar systems but can't build aircrafts ?
I have to admit that I use mod to correct that, but it's really annoying to have to use drop pods for travelling fast across the world like I think I should be able If I can build space stuff.

The 2nd and last thing I will say here will be about water from sea/rivers. I think giving the ability to fish may be interresting when it come to decide where to camp.

DuckBoy

Nomadic (-Ancient Danger Hunter-) Tribe play could use some polish still: 

The highest speed setting seems to be dependent on processing/map size, and when you have no active colony, everything goes extremely fast.  This has led to some !!hilarity!! in an unexpected boomrat ambush on a tiny map when i'm looking at the world screen.  Visiting a town should auto pause, otherwise all my colonists starve by the time I hit space bar. 

Forming a caravan is pretty finicky.  I'd like a button to abandon colony AND form caravan, which would bring up the same Warning: anything left behind will be abandoned, and the same screen from map encounters.  Feel free to make it prevent caravanning if there are active raids/manhunters/open ancient dangers to prevent cheating the system.    Acceptable Now!

Let me see the map screen when I'm looking at Config: Choose caravan direction.  I have no idea which way to send them because I can't see the map.    FIXED!

I want the abandon and form caravan screen (and the encounter screen) to ignore silliness like forbidden, not in stockpile, and buildings that are "built" but can be packed up.  Let me pack up everything that isn't literally nailed down.  What's the point in carrying around 5 sleeping bags, a vanometric generator, batteries, and a steel turret if I drop them on the ground and forget them every time I'm ambushed by ravenous bunnies and try to take a nap afterwards? 

Tribals should be able to accept those 24hr to pay silver quests from a faction without a comms console if they're standing in the other faction's town.  SUPER FIXED!!

Other major issue with forming caravans is the "OH crud, 2 days into packing, I forgot to pack X, guess I have to cancel the whole caravan, drop 600 pounds of garbage back into all the stockpiles all over the map, wait for all the pack animals to empty, then form a new caravan that has X in it."  A right click add to pack animal like exists during encounters, or a new order marking additional items for pickup would solve this.  So would having more control over when the caravan I'm disbanding gets unpacked and which items should just stay on the characters until the next caravan.    ULTRA FIXED! 

Then there are all the pawns who go insane and cancel the caravan for lack of flake because the muffalo is carrying all the flake and they can't find it.  I don't know how to solve that one short of making each caravan member a stockpile, but I don't see a non exploitable way of making that work out nicely. 

And umm, I love this game?  Just a reminder, since it sounds like I'm complaining...!!!

Call me Arty

Quote from: DuckBoy on May 27, 2018, 05:49:24 PM
And umm, I love this game?  Just a reminder, since it sounds like I'm complaining...

Don't worry, the only people who complain about this game are the ones who either love it or don't understand it, and it sounds like you've spent plenty of time in the caravan menus alone.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Shurp

Now I don't feel so bad about constantly complaining.  I must be completely in love with this game!

Call me Arty

Quote from: Shurp on May 29, 2018, 08:52:27 PM
Now I don't feel so bad about constantly complaining.  I must be completely in love with this game!

-or you suck. It's up to you, flip a coin if you must.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

Call me Arty

PSA FOR THIS THREAD

I don't want to get all semantical or crappy about details, but this thread was made with the intent of being both more, and less than "suggestions." I wanted people to get some ideas out without all of the nit-picking and criticism you'd find if it was a serious suggestion. As the title says, "I have an issue, this is how I could see it being fixed." This is opposed to the more common occurrence of "put this in the game because I want it in the game."
This doesn't just mean "I want tropical fruit in the game." Preferably, it would be more along the lines of "There's a serious lack of variety in nutrition, and the amount of diseases in jungles doesn't justify living there. If jungles had unique fruit, not only would it not be a starch, but it could also be a joy object (like a less potent fine meal) and could sell for more a decent price without growth being slowed by high temperature (because it's used to it)."

I apologize if this seems hypocritical ("This thread is so you can give ideas without people trying to crush them, btw, you're doing it wrong), I just wanted to highlight this. No offense to Tynan, he did it with good intentions, but we probably don't need another "Your cheapest ideas."

Shurp

And I'll repeat what I said earlier: the combat mechanic is maddening, and I would fix it by removing the range restriction on firearms and instead rely on inaccuracy at long range to make ranged combat more realistic and simultaneously more entertaining.  No more building walls around my turrets because a tribesman with a bow standing at range 26 plinks it to death.

BTW, I already modded exactly this.  Yay mods.  I'm trying out my first open base now.

Call me Arty

Quote from: Shurp on May 31, 2018, 01:42:39 AM
No more building walls around my turrets because a tribesman with a bow standing at range 26 plinks it to death.

I didn't realize how much of a problem that was for me until you just now mentioned it.

Canute

Ok Shurp, no range restriction, but then the accuracy of the turret at range 26 should be around 1% ! :-)
And no minigun exploid that allow you to aim far behind, to get a higher chance to hit anything on the path.