What's the most lacking part of Rimworld for you, and how would you improve it?

Started by Call me Arty, February 13, 2018, 03:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canute

Lav,
maybe you should reread the description of Green Thumb.
The advance isn't the small skill boost. The pawn with Green thumb get a mood boni when he is planting stuff.

Cold/Heat, i bet you only played in temperated biomes so far. Then yes you are geting these more often and they don't have much effect for you.
But imagine you are playing on a desert, summer temp. around 45C, and then a heat wave comming.
Not only that your plant die because it is too hot, maybe you didn't got proper clothes and your pawn geting heart stokes.
These event can be dangerous for unprepared colonies.

And when you don't like them, you can disable them at the Scenario editor.

cultist

Quote from: Boston on June 11, 2018, 12:12:21 AM
..... What do you mean, "enormous amounts of microing"? You select how much of each ammunition you want a character to carry in their inventory loadout, and they automatically pick it up as they use ammo.

... until you get a new weapon, at which point you need to make new loadout from scratch. I found it was actually easier to make loadouts for each character and just change that, rather than try to cover every weapon and ammo type in the game. Say you want one rifleman to use a knife and the other a longsword - gonna need another new loadout for that.
I'm not bashing the loadout system as such, it's about as good as it can be. It's just that the game doesn't benefit from this level of complexity, because it already has this type of challenge in spades (item management). The changes to bleeding out, weapon ranges etc. that CE adds are much more relevant and interesting IMO.

Regardless, I stand by my statement. I like the idea, but in reality it only adds to the early-game challenge, which isn't the lacking part of this game.

cultist

Quote from: Canute on June 11, 2018, 09:09:26 AM
Cold/Heat, i bet you only played in temperated biomes so far. Then yes you are geting these more often and they don't have much effect for you.
But imagine you are playing on a desert, summer temp. around 45C, and then a heat wave comming.
Not only that your plant die because it is too hot, maybe you didn't got proper clothes and your pawn geting heart stokes.
These event can be dangerous for unprepared colonies.

You're missing the point. Heat wave = always middle of summer, cold snap = always just before winter starts. There's little challenge if you always know when to expect it and can prepare for it. And there's no challenge at all if it happens during the first few hours of gameplay for a tribe on a hot map either, then it's just the game deciding that you're done playing now. None of these scenarios are fun.

Canute

Not realy, when the cold snap comes before you are harvest all your food for the winter, he can ruin your winter time.
Same with heat wave, in combination with both, it can be that you didn't got enough food for the winter.
Sure you can counter it, special when you are an expierenced player. But as first time Rimworld player such an event can ruin your colony.

ANY event can be harmless if you know how to counter it. A tornade at example never destroyed any of my buildings so far.

Reolos

In no particular order of importance:

Z Levels. Without Z levels Rimworld will always be in the looming shadow of Dwarf Fortress. I know it is probably beyond reality, as the game would have to be totally recoded, but that is my Wish...

Core "Prepare Carefully". I will wait to play a new Alpha or Beta until the Prepare Carefully Mod is updated to compatibility. I never play the game without it and I am not alone. It, or something similar, should be a core part of the game.

Water. There has never been a water mechanic to the game, and since A11, it has been my greatest request. Water for pawns, livestock, crops, heating, cooling, etc... Adds more depth and difficulty to biomes.

Revamped quest system. The quests you receive from other factions are nice, but they are very basic, with not much depth. A deeper colony quest system that you could design with the editor or at game start would be welcome, so the path of your colony is rewarded by meeting quests along the way.

Other "win" conditions. I have never built the ship and "won". It isn't how I like to play. I would rather tough it out until it is no longer fun or the framerate from the raids are impossible. Other win conditions could include Hegemony: 10 of your own bases built and surviving, Alliance: A certain number of factions are allied with you against the remaining, Dominance: A certain number of bases raided and or destroyed by your hand. They aren't much richer than the Escape win, but at least there could be alternatives.

Children. Everyone wants pawns to reproduce and children to be a part of the game, I assume.

Bastobasto

The '' Inbetween '' phase. When your colonists have just enough food, are doing things by themselves and you can only wait. This phase is long and boring. Maybe add more micro gestion ? I do not damn know.

Shurp

I haven't had too much trouble with this.  But I play Cassandra, who throws regular attacks at you.  So I'm often busy fending off one attack or another, then cleaning up, then reacting to the next attack, with a little time in between to focus on building/growing.

If you play Randy you'll often wind up with long periods of absolutely nothing going on...
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

ReZpawner

Wouldn't the implementation of Z levels be absolute murder on the performance of the game?

Bozobub

Not a given.

Dwarf Fortress very definitely compares favorably to the complexity of Rimworld's simulation; you can build freaking Turing machines in it, FFS o.O'.  Either adding a true, RimWorld-like graphics layer to DF or adding Z-levels to RimWorld is rather plausible, in my opinion (and equally quite desirable).
Thanks, belgord!

Mehni

Quote from: Reolos on June 11, 2018, 11:37:26 AM
Revamped quest system. The quests you receive from other factions are nice, but they are very basic, with not much depth. A deeper colony quest system that you could design with the editor or at game start would be welcome, so the path of your colony is rewarded by meeting quests along the way.

Mind clarifying how you want to design a quest? What elements should it have, what options should each element have? What are some different ways of getting quests, what are some different goals in the quest?

Diche_Bach

"What's the most lacking part of Rimworld for you, and how would you improve it?"

Colonists tend too far toward the "snowflake" whiner end of the continuum. Feels a bit too much like "baby sit your colonist" simulator.

How would I "improve it?" Reduce the importance of some of the "unhappiness" moderator factors, reduce the frequency of "weak psyche" traits. Buff the character traits factors which contribute to resiliency.

People flipping out is fine; people struggling to thrive is fine. It just happens too much I think.
Nothing is lost, nothing is created, everything is transformed.

gipothegip

In general, I would like for more interesting interfactional relations, both in how the player interacts with them, and in how they interact with eachother.

Making the world more alive would be something I'd also like to see. This could just be subtle things one can find out in the world that imply it has a history, that other factions interact, etc. Kind of like how geographical features are named. Maybe there could be art descriptions generated that recount an event that occured at one of the npc colonies when you buy things. Maybe books or scrolls could be added for the purpose of generating texts that make an account of some event.

In general, I would like something of a framing device using the world around the player's colony, to better tie in the game world with the storytelling aspects of the game. Right now I feel things are too centered on the player and their colonists, and that the larger world outside the player's colony is somewhat vague and underdeveloped. We seem to see little of what is going on in the rest of the world.
Should I feel bad that nearly half my posts are in the off topic section?

MeowRailroad

The one thing that I think needs to desperately improved is the way vegetation doesn't grow back after the first winter. It only grows back in the edges of the map, which is frustrating as the map looks so barren with just exposed soil, and you have less access to healroot and berries if they don't grow everywhere.
Quote from: Tynan on December 02, 2016, 05:24:06 PM
This is like being in a remote fishing town in Libera and asking, "Why can't I just pay one of the fishermen $10 to take me back to Los Angeles?"