Fuzzy text search for items/creatures and other UI conveniences

Started by jackd23, February 11, 2018, 03:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackd23

Cheers,

after getting really into RimWorld, I'm finding myself thinking about ever more little convenience or quality of life things. Like a clear visual distinction of mature (100 %) trees or harvestable plants without workarounds or modding, or a quick-search. Ripe apples are red for example!

Sure it all gives you some busywork, but I think in the long games you're often busy enough already. So I was wondering specifically, what are the chances to get search boxes added?

When you set up a stockpile, for example, and you're browsing through it to find something specific. Sure, if you play the game for 500 hours, you'll probably find it right away, but...

Or when you construct furniture, and suddenly notice there's a new resource available for it but you don't quite know why you have it available, and where. Or when you're sure you still have some steel on the map, and remember it was forbidden but even though skimming over the map twice you haven't found it. A search for items and creatures on the map may be nice, jump to buttons, quantity, durability, perhaps forbidden status. Ctrl-F and you get a dialogue with a list and text box.

The closest I could find pre-emptively investigating was somebody asking for a search box in the research screen.

Not sure what to think of being unable to craft any furniture out of a material you don't have stored, but could reasonably easy make. Say, you have granite chunks nearby and a stonecutter's table to make the blocks, but you can't queue a building job for granite furniture, walls, or floors.

I'm also not yet sure how to dispose of items that your guys don't like to wear, anything from something worn by a corpse, or made of human leather for example. Don't ask. Mistakes have been made. So, items with a special status or manufactured items made from specific materials. Perhaps even a way to distinguish items of certain quality levels (e.g. poor, normal, superior).

More keybinds/hotkeys. Perhaps not global but available in specific selections, especially selecting tabs (vanilla and mod tabs, e.g. Combat, Social, Gear, Character, Needs, Health, et cetera). Or a keybind to bring up the Bills dialogue on crafting stations, which would also be a tab.

Context menus, instead of simply selecting something and choose from the Miscellaneous keybinds and very large icon bar in the bottom, a compact context menu when right-clicking.

I guess this adds to the concept of context menus, right-clicking on an item in a stockpile to quickly remove it from the stockpiles storage configuration/allowance.

This is yellow, glowing text. I don't know why, but it made sense to put it here.

Perhaps drag and drop, when an item is selected, don't start a bounding box when you hold down the left mouse button on it, but instead initiate a drag and drop operation to either have it priority-hauled/create a priority hauling job or reinstalled to a specific location. If hauled, and if that location is in a stockpile, add it to its storage configuration if not already in it.

Although you can bounding-box and double-click items in a stockpile, you can't select multiple plants with a bounding box in a growing area, or double-click a plant in a growing area to select all types of that plant on-screen (same, other, or out of growing area). Same for, say peach trees, apple trees, heal root (all double-click). Though you can on items on the ground, or even animals.

It would also be nice to have hauling priorities for items, say I want all that herbal medicine be hauled ASAP. So when I have two people with a high haul priority, I want them to run around the whole map collecting those.

I'm sure that some of those things have come up in the years past in one form or another, and I'm not sure why those are not a thing. I'm a very UI focused user and programmer, and also gravitating a lot to a "giving options" notion. What are the chances of any of this getting into the game prior to or post 1.0, and why not?

Best regards

jackd23

Actually, nevermind. I was not fully aware of the extend of the modding support that this game is rocking.