Domestic Meat Industry

Started by BasileusMaximos, February 14, 2018, 01:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BasileusMaximos

Is it possible to cultivate a meat industry robust enough to provide enough meat to feed your colony without resorting to hunting?

Joelius Caesar

Yes, wild boars have a short gestation period, grow fast, and they can graze. However, this also depends how many colonists you have and how long/warm your summers are.

sick puppy

Quote from: Joelius Caesar on February 14, 2018, 03:29:42 PM
Yes, wild boars have a short gestation period, grow fast, and they can graze. However, this also depends how many colonists you have and how long/warm your summers are.
funny, you'd think, chickens, rabbits and rats are better suited for that...

Hans Lemurson

Chickens are great for meat.  Their reproduction rate via eggs is quite high.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Canute

I suggest chicken's for the eggs.
Since you can use the egg instead of meat for meals.

cultist

Quote from: Canute on February 15, 2018, 03:00:32 AM
I suggest chicken's for the eggs.
Since you can use the egg instead of meat for meals.

This is the best way to keep chickens. They can certainly provide meat and lots of it, but it requires lots of colonist work hours and animal feed. It's quite doable on jungle maps because you always have grazing areas, but I'd not recommend it on cold maps.

Shurp

Don't forget that pigs and dogs can eat dead raiders.  (For those of us playing on maps that don't have abundant grass to graze)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

tymur999

Get cows, they breed fast, yield lots of meat, and females also produce lots of milk.