Mental States are still mental...

Started by Shurp, February 13, 2018, 06:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

Jet was having a bad day, so I told him to smoke a joint and chill out, which improved his mood.  Then he got hungry; ok, not a problem, go eat a meal...

...and in the middle of eating a meal he has a mental break.  Last straw?  Hungry.  Now he's hiding in his room, and *won't eat*, and is starving to death (current malnutrition: 13%).

"I'm soooooo hungry I can't take it any more, I'm not gonna eat!!!"

Rimworld pawns are so mental...

--------------------
Edit: his malnutrition got all the way to 30% before his mental state finally broke and he grabbed the meal I had left for him in his bedroom.  Good to have him back!
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

gipothegip

lol, I just imagine somebody being halfway through eating a burger, and they're like "damn it, I can't take this hunger anymore!", and they throw it to the ground angrily and storm off to their room.
Should I feel bad that nearly half my posts are in the off topic section?

sick puppy

huh. funny. i just had the same thing happen to me. it is also a bit silly when they start wandering aimlessly off of being tired.
like wth man
go sleep
idiot
*pawn collapses due to exhaustion*
Canute

For such cases, it would be good to have a slap in the face ingame.
Sometimes they just need that together with some word how stupid they are.
Or at hard cases, a teaser, rescue and feed him.

eadras

Shurp

It would be nice if colonists could forcefeed a mental pawn or tie him into bed without employing the arrest mechanic.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

SzQ

You can beat him with wood log without arresting.

Usually contemplating my personal spacetime reality at
stream

Lys

Quote from: SzQ on February 17, 2018, 06:51:40 AM
You can beat him with wood log without arresting.
Side-Effects include: Worsened relations, crushed limbs, permanent brain damage and death.

Shurp

Yes, I used to employ the "beatings will continue until morale improves" philosophy but I tired of the micromanagement involved... especially since it took as long for the pawn to heal from the beating as it takes for him to pass out from exhaustion.

I just find it laughable that a pawn who's upset from not having food will then refuse to eat, or as "sick puppy" above points out, refusing to go to be because he's tired.  Are we dealing with two-year olds here?

Cranky two year old who has been up too long: "NO, I don WANNA go bed!"
*cranky two year old passes out from exhaustion*

kingy10005

would be nice if the persons friend or wife son etc could talk them out of it maybe ? or what if your warden with good speech could speak some sense into them . don't like the arrest even if it saves there life you get bad effects :)

sick puppy

the worst combination (for me) are the mental breaks that take forever. honestly? berserk rages are among my favorites. it is so short it barely interrupts my daily business and in the worst case when the pawn sees another one they just have a scuffle like when some people insult eachother. it's one of the many reasons why i always have a considerable amount of club wielding pawns in even the latest game states. done with the spaceship and still some of them have the clubs. they are among the least fatal weapons while still being able to reliably do their jobs, especially for bad shots. furthermore, they dont raise colony wealth as much as a good gun.

but i digress. what is most annoying is when you have dangerous climate and they start to wander around aimlessly forever. sure enough, if you have enough pawns and a big enough fortress, the loss of workforce is unimportant and the probability of the whacko to even leave the building is low. still. it happens. and usually that's where they collapse from exhaustion. but they dont snap back to reality. they are still i  their own world, so after sleeping an hour or two you cant send them back to their beds. you cant take them to their beds. you cant save them, unlike a pawn that is extremely starving, having a heat stroke or hypothermia. you have to let him sleep. outside. on the floor. far away from any table in case the pawn gets hungry in the morning. and maybe even in danger of animals, raiders, mechs, fires, heat and cold.
so.
damn.
annoying.

this is serious, i want a "take pawn to bed" option for pawns that passed out from exhaustion, because it is practically the same state for a non-doctor tribal pawn. if someone's out cold and doesnt answer, that means trouble. way more than enough reason to save the pawn and bring it to the hospital.

Shurp

Have you tried recruiting the sleeping pawn?  I've never had an exhausted pawn continue with a mental break while asleep.

sick puppy

Quote from: Shurp on February 20, 2018, 04:12:15 AM
Have you tried recruiting the sleeping pawn?  I've never had an exhausted pawn continue with a mental break while asleep.

yup. doesnt work. the long boring mental breaks dont let me do that. after the pawn wakes up by itself, maybe, but i cant recruit a crazed pawn in his sleep.

Shurp

It must depend on the break variety.  I tend to get minor breaks -- "hiding in room", "binging on food", etc.  They usually end when a pawn goes to bed or passes out.  It sounds like worse breaks don't have that feature.