How do you get chicks from chickens?

Started by mattig89ch, February 18, 2018, 09:59:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattig89ch

Hidy ho all,

I bought some chickens from a passing trader.  And I have a few fertalized eggs sitting in a heated stockpile, but they are saying they've been ruined by the temperature and will spoil in 13 days.

What little I know of breeding chickens tells me you need a fertalized egg, heat, and a safe place to store them to make them hatch.  So...is this not the case in rimworld?

VincentJ

NOOO!!!! No chickens !

They lay every day, and each egg is fertilized, so I get huge amounts of pussies when the weather allows it.
Ah, I get it, you bought only one or two chickens ? Everytime I have the event "a group of domesticated chicken chooses to join your colony", and soon I get the map invaded by chickens and baby chickens, I must butcher the pussies, sometimes 3 or 4 of them fly away from their egg.

Me, if I have a question, it is how having unfertilized eggs ?

Concerning your question, there's a range of temperature in which the eggs have no problems to hatch out : I think it's 7-23 or 7-33 °C
If they overcome these limits, the egg is indicated "spoiled", that means "eat me, no pussy will get away from your body, I swear you"
Except for alien chickens, that I've never seen

Canute

Quote from: mattig89ch on February 18, 2018, 09:59:18 AM
I bought some chickens from a passing trader.  And I have a few fertalized eggs sitting in a heated stockpile, but they are saying they've been ruined by the temperature and will spoil in 13 days.
When they are "ruined by temp." they are basicly like unfert. eggs. You can made just some omlett's from them. :-(

Looks like these egg's was to long at to cold or to hot temp. and the egg die.
The bad thing is that traders sometimes got these Fert. but ruined eggs for trading.
That happen mosttimes at cold or hot biomes. Or when an orbital trader drop the stuff outside when the temp. arn't ideal for eggs.

If these egg's arn't ruined you see an increasing percent timer, and you are geting new chickens when it reach 100%.

mattig89ch

Thanks all!  I think those original 2 eggs were put in the freezer.  Because now I have 3 chicks running around.

Thanks again!

VincentJ

You're welcomed ! And beware the chicken infestation ! I kill all the male pussies, they've eaten all my wheat and they are starving now

Bozobub

Quote from: VincentJ on February 18, 2018, 07:37:00 PM
You're welcomed ! And beware the chicken infestation ! I kill all the male pussies, they've eaten all my wheat and they are starving now

Er...  "Pussies"/"pussy" — except when referring to cats of any age, short for "pussycat" — is an euphemism for female genitalia or an insult (meaning "wimp") in English, NOT baby chickens, which are called "chicks".  See also "grab them by the pussy".  It's not a particularly nice thing to say.

Just a heads-up; you might want to be careful how you use that word ^^'.
Thanks, belgord!

Kiter5

i like breeding chickens. they have lots of babies. Its a good food supply.

I set always have a couple gardens for my animals and keep the rest of my gardens animal-free.

I prefer breeding iguanas though. they are actually good attack animals in early on battles.
(I'm just a couple months into Rimworld and haven't gotten into end-game level battles yet)

My Question:
I actually came here to ask about good egg incubation temperatures, specifically for iguanas. are they the same as chickens? (and turtles)

Injured Muffalo

When a hen and a cock love each other very much... ;D
A muffalo encountered a vimp near a patch of sweet vegetables. A struggle ensued. The muffalo gored the vimp with its horns. The vimp bit the muffalo with its beak. Finally, the vimp was bested, sending large chunks of its flesh in every direction. But the muffalo was injured. It shed a single tear.

VincentJ

Quote from: Bozobub on February 18, 2018, 07:59:59 PM
Er...  "Pussies"/"pussy" — except when referring to cats of any age, short for "pussycat" — is an euphemism for female genitalia or an insult (meaning "wimp") in English, NOT baby chickens, which are called "chicks".  See also "grab them by the pussy".  It's not a particularly nice thing to say.

Oh, I'm so sorry, I mixed up cats with chicken. So baby chicken are chicks, and baby cats are pussycats, that's all.
I think one of this responsable was the man who wrote "Fever".

Snafu_RW

Quote from: VincentJ on February 20, 2018, 11:08:00 AM
Quote from: Bozobub on February 18, 2018, 07:59:59 PM

Oh, I'm so sorry, I mixed up cats with chicken. So baby chicken are chicks, and baby cats are pussycats, that's all.
I think one of this responsable was the man who wrote "Fever".
Heh! You may also be mixing 'poussin' https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/poussin for baby chickens (derived from french)
Dom 8-)

Bozobub

Baby cats are "kittens"; "pussy" or "pussycat" is a general word for cats of any age.

Don't sweat it; I just figured you'd want to know ;D.
Thanks, belgord!

VincentJ

So american men really call the girls "chicks" ? ("poussin" in french, you're right Snafu)

I called a french girl "ma poulette", "my little chick", when I was 6, she told me she was not a chick.
End of conversation.

Bozobub

It's somewhat outdated slang.  Using it pretty much marks you as a knuckle-dragger, frankly. :P
Thanks, belgord!