Should Rimworld have bosses?

Started by Call me Arty, February 15, 2018, 09:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Call me Arty

Regardless of whether it's something like a silver-backed Thrumbo or a pirate in a tank or mech suit, should Rimworld have them?

Currently, the game's pretty grounded. Shooting a human in the brain will kill them, just like in real life. This doesn't exactly mesh well with the typical video game response to making bossfights. Even Thrumbos and Centipedes take the same amount of bullets you'd expect to kill an ancient space-beast, and a bus, respectively.
So, would a boss(es) fit in the game? Currently, the game is centered around the idea that human lives are precious, but easily disposed of. The boss would have to be carefully balanced so that it would pose a real threat, but not completely wipe colonies more focused on agriculture than deadly armaments. Most bosses directly impair progress through the game, but Rimworld doesn't have that. You could build a spaceship as long as you just researched it, and you wouldn't need anything more than a research bench, multi-analyzer, and enough power for a component bench to make some advanced components. If you could do all of that wearing rat skins and using wooden spears, then a boss wouldn't be needed. The most powerful weapons in the game can already be acquired via killing raiders before they use them or by destroying an outpost, and those are already powerful enough that anything that would be better and worth the effort would most certainly be overpowered. Need resources? You can just trade enough joints and hats to buy all of the plasteel and uranium you could possibly need. So. . . what would justify them?
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

SzQ

It might be optional side of the game. Instead of defending go and hunt those bastards somewhere in the wild. Special creatures, special enemy outpost, special enemy homebase to destroy going trough layers of their defense instead of them rushing on your defense positions you had comfy time to build.

such stuff 8)

Usually contemplating my personal spacetime reality at
stream

Canute

Ohhh some mod's allready added some bosses, but they didn't made it to the latest release.
But at last 1-2 made it into the Hardcore-SK modpack and still alive there, maybe you should play it, and encounter Zeon.

Bolgfred

Urgs... I don't think something like an end boss does fit the game. Neither as an animal or a boss raider/mechanoid.

Otherwise it woulde cool if a Leader wouldn't only join a casual raid, but come with his/her own brigade of elite soldiers, having very good equipment and fighting skills.
Would be also an interesting world event type, like " Enemy leader set up camp in the wild. he and his entourage will stay there for a while until they leave."
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

gipothegip

I don't know how I feel about bosses per se, but it would be neat if there were special challenges that varied in some way to be distinct (and perhaps more challenging) from run of the mill events.

Maybe have these tied to certain events / player actions, so they happen as a result of something rather than being a part of the standard fare rng.
Should I feel bad that nearly half my posts are in the off topic section?

O Negative

It'd be nice to see stronger units for each faction for the late game. That way the storyteller doesn't have to keep tossing in MORE garbage enemies at you to simulate an increase in challenge over time.

A single mechanoid capable of destroying an established colony is along the lines of an endgame boss for this game. Not necessarily what I'm suggesting, but similar.

Bolgfred

Quote from: gipothegip on February 16, 2018, 04:36:36 AM
Maybe have these tied to certain events / player actions, so they happen as a result of something rather than being a part of the standard fare rng.

during caravan...

You stumbled over a big red button. You feel like you really want to push it. Nothing will happen, right? Push that friendly button. This button seems trustworthy!
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

gipothegip

Quote from: Bolgfred on February 16, 2018, 05:13:47 AM
Quote from: gipothegip on February 16, 2018, 04:36:36 AM

during caravan...

You stumbled over a big red button. You feel like you really want to push it. Nothing will happen, right? Push that friendly button. This button seems trustworthy!

lol, that sounds like an event from Death Road to Canada.
Should I feel bad that nearly half my posts are in the off topic section?

lancar

Bosses, per se, do not have to be huge HP sponges with lots of weapons. Many RPGs use normal enemies encountered later in the game as minibosses for the early bits.

A fairly easy and straightforward way to implement "boss" type enemies could be Tribal animal handlers, complete with their own retinue of dangerous beasties that guard them while they attack.

Or how about a Pirate leader with a few personal hacked Scythers for protection?

Elite task force squads of well geared foes was already suggested above as well.

Kirby23590

I would be afraid and happy to see and fight an Insectoid Queen or a Giant Mechanoid with the strength of Four Centipedes or something like that.

Maybe in quests where a Hive Insectoid Queen might be guarding Treasures containing Super-weapons like the Satellite beam or orbital artillery and tons of silver and lots and lots of loot!

I don't know how it would be implemented though...

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Jackalvin

Oh God, imagine fighting a archeotech AI, with powers beyond our mental grasp! Now I'm not thinking oh turning RW into a RPG, but bosses would make the game much cooler! Think about:
A Centipede turned war machine by a Chief, think about those things that they put on elephants, now put that on a sentient bus with an inferno cannon!

A crazy cat lady who awakes angry hordes of cat from cryptosleep caskets! Make that bionic cats (that would need ADS though)

A thrumbo pulled chariot, that needs no explanation.
-Insert Witty Joke Here-

Bozobub

In mods?  Certainly.  In the "vanilla" game?  Most certainly not.
Thanks, belgord!

tommiethegun

I'd really like bosses added to vanilla as extra worldmap quests. "Our ally is asking us to slay the AI Mech Dragon at these coordinates"

That could let the bosses be much much harder than normals mobs, without needing to massively upgrade base defenses for them, since they can only be fought by traveling to them.

Crow_T

This is a pretty cool idea, some rare strong enemies that show up with raids occasionally would be pretty neat.
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

Canute

As tribal start, isn't any centipede attack like a boss fight ? :-)
Sure if you know how to handle it, it isn't that worse anymore like in RPG's with a good group.