Ancient Dangers/Shrines Roof Collapse

Started by Harry_Dicks, February 17, 2018, 02:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry_Dicks

I had just recently opened an ancient danger in one of my test games. A couple in game hours later, the roof collapsed in it, and I never had any interaction with anything in there. One would think that no "ruins" or ancient dangers, or really any buildings that RimWorld spawns in should ever have an internal area of greater than 12x12 for buildings. Or at least, never have any configuration so that the roof collapses after opening up just one square in the wall. You can clearly see how big of a collapse it was, too.

Oh and also, I had a decrepit old bag that came with the group, she spawned literally laying down, having cryptosleep sickness. I swear this isn't a joke, on day 2 it was her birthday, and her gift to the colony was dementia...

Calahan

Did you mean to post this in Suggestions? I'm assuming you didn't so moving it to Bugs.

As such, can you please confirm if this was from a vanilla game? And if so do you still have the log file from this session, and/or any save games? (before or/and after the roof collapse).

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Calahan on February 17, 2018, 02:32:02 PM
Did you mean to post this in Suggestions? I'm assuming you didn't so moving it to Bugs.
Oh man, close one! I would never be dumb enough to do something like this on... purpose...

Quote from: Calahan on February 17, 2018, 02:32:02 PM
As such, can you please confirm if this was from a vanilla game? And if so do you still have the log file from this session, and/or any save games? (before or/and after the roof collapse).
Unfortunately I had moved on from it. This is the first time I had ever seen it, and as far as I can tell, I don't use any mods that reconfigure how ruins spawn. My apologies that I didn't think to save the game when it happened, as I was doing a bunch of quick little test games just to see if things were working right. However, I did have an extremely stripped down mod list, if it even matters. It was one of these two lists, having maybe 5 different mods between the two. The only placement I'm not sure of was Zombieland, as I had pulled up this stripped down list and put ZL into it, because I was having an issue with the zombies stuttering and was seeing if it was a compatibility issue with another mod. I went ahead and put it into the list where I believe it was when this occurred.

Anyway, I'm not even sure if any of this is even helpful to anyone since this wasn't a vanilla game. If it isn't of any help, oh well, maybe next time I'll remember to document everything properly :)

Core
HugsLib
JecsTools-1.0.9.4
ModSwitch
Rimworld_ModSyncNinja
Humanoid Alien Races 2.0
Androids
zombieland-1.9.8
BetterPawnControl
ExpandedRoofing-0.18.0.3-dev
Hand Me That Brick
ImprovedWorkbenches
FashionRIMsta -A18
Right-Tool-for-the-Job-Rebalanced-0.18.1.3
Mending
Fallout-Traits-1.0
T-MoreFloors
T-MoreBedsVanilla
TradingSpot
More_Trade_Ships
RuntimeGC
Notifications Archiver
HelpTab
ResearchPal
EdBPrepareCarefully

Core
HugsLib
JecsTools-1.0.8.9
ModSwitch
Rimworld_ModSyncNinja
Humanoid Alien Races 2.0
Androids
zombieland-1.9.8
BetterPawnControl
ExpandedRoofing-0.18.0.3-dev
Hand Me That Brick
ImprovedWorkbenches
FashionRIMsta -A18
Fallout-Traits-1.0
RuntimeGC
Notifications Archiver
HelpTab
ResearchPal
EdBPrepareCarefully

Calahan

Thanks for the additional info. And for confirming you don't have a save for this (as the devs will often ask for one, so saying you don't have one saves them the time of asking).

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 17, 2018, 04:14:13 PMAnyway, I'm not even sure if any of this is even helpful to anyone since this wasn't a vanilla game. If it isn't of any help, oh well, maybe next time I'll remember to document everything properly :)
I'm not sure either tbh. If this was from a vanilla game then ison would (due to this report) probably check the code for ancient danger generation to double check that no invalid (in a roof collapse sense) 13x13+ rooms are spawned.

But since this happened in a modded game it might only have happened because of a mod(s). And guess without a save it'll remain an unknown (at least unless/until someone else reports the same issue).

So what I'll do is leave this thread in bugs for a while to see if anyone else reports encountering the same thing. If they do then hopefully their additional info will help narrow down the cause (mainly mod related or not right now). But if nobody posts after a week or two then I'll likely shuffle this over to mod bugs. (but lets see if anyone else posts first).

Razuhl

Ancient shrines are generated with sizes ranging from width 6->21 and height 5->25. Those sizes include the walls, they are not the inner size.
width: 1->4*4+(0->3)*1+2 = 6->21
height: 1->4*3+(0->3)*1+2+0->8 = 5->25
The colored ranges in each formula are linked. The second occurrences uses the same value as in the first but one lower.

The generation is located in RimWorld.GenStep_ScatterShrines.ScatterAt(...). The limits for the ranges are stored in local members.

Snafu_RW

Hmm.. all ADs I've seen spawn that were larger than 13x13 have had a roof-supporting pillar somewhere near the centre (logical), but it can happen that activated insects mine out that pillar, whether the AD has been revealed or not..
Dom 8-)

Razuhl

Spawning a comparable temple I observed the same story as the op. After 4 days(colony time) the roof collapsed because a bug dug the pillar away.

Then I observed what happens if the pillar is not spawned(I suppressed it in the spawning process, I did not remove if afterwards).

A large room that spawns its own roof(like shown by the op) won't have its roof collapse, even if a piece of wall gets removed. The game won't validate the roof until you change it.

A large room that uses natural roofing(rock roof) and spawned in roofing will immediately collapse. Probably because the existing roof got changed by extending it and the game had to check if it was still ok.