Books

Started by Arkay_The_Arcane, February 17, 2018, 06:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkay_The_Arcane

I'm gonna be honest here. I came up with this idea because I really wanted one of my colonies to have a library. So, I kinda expanded upon the idea, and came up with the following:

Books are bit of an omnitool, in the sense they help out with multiple things, but only do it slightly. Books could be added in multiple ways. The way I think would be best, is making books somewhat like art. Every book has different effects, and have a randomly generated summary, similar to the randomly generated description of the artwork.

When I say books could have different effects, I mean that, for example, on book is a skill book. It slightly increases the skill it talks about, and gives little to no joy. Meanwhile, there are also fiction books that don't add any skills, but add joy.

A new furniture that could be added would be a writing table. People can write books there, and the quality of the book is based on a few skills. Fiction books would be creativity, while with skill books would be the skill it describes. To make a book, you'd need leather and wood, or even just first have wood turned into paper, although that seems a bit excessive. The leather, of course, is for the cover.

A trait that could be added: Bookworm. Bookworms love to read, and will get a greater mood bonus from reading one, even getting a positive mood bonus from reading skill books.

SzQ

In case you didn't seen it. Clutter add bookshelves and colonists take books from there to read somewhere. Pretty cool.

Usually contemplating my personal spacetime reality at
stream

BlackSmokeDMax

The mod Arbitration: Realistic Research had a great system very similar to what you would like. Think the flow went something like this:

Make paper from wood at the brewers bench.
Combine paper and wood to make a book at the writing desk. (There might have been a paper combining step before this as well)
Write book at the writing desk. (Choose either research book or joy book)
Combine like books into a set.
Create empty bookshelf from wood.
Combine like sets of books and bookshelf into either a research bookshelf or a joy bookshelf.
Place joy bookshelf somewhere for pawns to read to gain joy.
Place research bookshelf near research desk to increase research speed and unlock further research.

That was all from memory, so i may have it slightly wrong. But i think you get the gist of it, it was a great system. This mod also had vehicles and trailers that could haul multiple stacks. Think trailers could also be used by a pawn manually with no vehicle.

Sadly, the mod hasn't been updated since alpha 13 or 14. I'm hoping that the release of 1.0 will see the author return and update it, but that is likely only wishful thinking.

VincentJ

The mod "additional joy objects" uses the same method to grant your settlers books.

The art skill is used to make books, but they just improve your joy
(actually I play in french, so I don't know how is called the relative gauge to joy in the english version... leisure gauge ? pleasure gauge ? happiness or mood gauge ?)

Penguinmanereikel

Quote from: VincentJ on February 18, 2018, 08:03:47 AM
(actually I play in french, so I don't know how is called the relative gauge to joy in the english version... leisure gauge ? pleasure gauge ? happiness or mood gauge ?)
Est-ce la grande barre en haut à droite de l'onglet "Besoins", ou est-ce l'une des plus petites en bas à droite?

S'il vous plaît noter que tout cela a été fait dans Google Translate. Toute erreur de traduction est la faute de Google.

VincentJ

Une grande barre en haut à gauche ! Ahahah

Near the "needs" gauge, yes. Google Translate has a quite correct french, by the way. Perfect french, actually.

Third_Of_Five

+1
I made this same suggestion, I definitely think this idea is underrated.

VincentJ

Quote from: Third_Of_Five on February 21, 2018, 09:56:02 AM
+1
I made this same suggestion, I definitely think this idea is underrated.

If you find Rimworld should really include this option, you can write it here :
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=39065.0

Harry_Dicks

Between the Cults mod with a typewriter (only benefit is for sanity atm) but I also have the desk/writing from the Medieval Times mod might be something you would be interested in.