New Event Idea - Nuptial Flight/Young Insect Queen

Started by Keychan, January 30, 2018, 02:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keychan

The idea stems from ant and bee colonies where newborn queens go into a phase called Nuptial Flight, where the young queen ant gets wings and leaves the main colony to mate and build up its own. 

What would happen in-game is that the player will get a message that a young hive queen has enter the map and will be looking for a place nearby to brood. 
The young Hive Queen will enter the map, young and with wings, and will randomly choose an area on the map that would have a mountain overhead roof.  It will then dig until it meets that location and dig out a small room.  It will idle around its small room until it matures, losing its wings and getting fat. (Probably eating some nearby local wildlife or farm animals while at it)
And I've thought up two scenarios for its reproduction phases once it matures:

1. The Hive Queen will spawn/build a MegaHive.  The MegaHive does not spawn insects, but normal hives at twice the normal rate.  It will also spawn an exessive amount of insect jelly and glowpods.  Only the Hive Queen will be able to tend to the MegaHive.  If the MegaHive were to be destroyed, all normal hives stemming from it will become dormant and no spawn other hives.

2. The Hive Queen will lay insect eggs that have a chance to spawn as either 3 already existing insect types.  (Higher chance for Megascarabs and lower chance for MegaSpider).  She will spawn a normal hive once a week.

As long as the Hive Queen lives, as a part two warning notification for the player, a portion of the insect hive population will attack the player like when a raid siege or waiting raid chooses to attack the player.  This would only happen after a very long period where the Hive would 'feel' its confident to attack the player. (Its population when compared to player wealth)

The Hive will be something you would want to nornally deal with early, but, if scenario 1, you can also use it to choose to farm it's insect jelly and glow pods.  Probably also the queen may have a valuable body part for killing it at its mature stage.

sick puppy

seems like you havent had enough trouble with bugs yet ;)
try playing on a higher difficulty or on a map with lotsa mountains. i always do and the bugs are enough trouble as is. if it was a different animal or i don't know what else, yeh, ok, maybe, otherwise thanks but no thanks

Grubfist

Quote from: sick puppy on January 31, 2018, 03:38:47 PM
seems like you havent had enough trouble with bugs yet ;)
try playing on a higher difficulty or on a map with lotsa mountains. i always do and the bugs are enough trouble as is. if it was a different animal or i don't know what else, yeh, ok, maybe, otherwise thanks but no thanks

The main issues people have with bugs is bringing the wrong weapons to the fight. Most bugs have exceptionally high Sharp resistance, so standard guns and bladed weapons are extremely ineffective against them. If you bring fire-based weapons and blunt weapons, insects die much easier.
One thing I've found to be very effective is getting a very large creature as a battle-beast. Ones that don't have much in the way of claws. Things like muffalos, or elephants that can batter something with blunt damage for large amounts per hit. The added benefit is they can sponge quite a few hits generally. Use them as a tank and get some guys with maces supporting them and you can take out bugs pretty quickly. Alternatively, if the hive is not somewhere near important things, shooting incendiary launchers from afar or placing traps and luring things over them by taking advantage of their leashing also works over a long period of time, as they bleed and get infections.

sick puppy

thanks, though i didnt know about their weakness in blunt damage, i already have lots of steel club wielding pawns and battle beasts. still is hard to cope with them as they are quick and strong. also you cant just sit them out like a manhunting pack (which are also vulnerable to guns).

and fire in my opinion is cheesing the game...i know you can just put wooden flooring in all cave complexes to molotov them, but that really isnt the meaning behind them in my opinion...the game has various weaknesses in ai, no need to abuse them. more fun that way. i also dont get cheaters and hackers. but that's just me. (and mostly concerns other games.

Grubfist

Quote from: sick puppy on January 31, 2018, 05:45:12 PM
thanks, though i didnt know about their weakness in blunt damage, i already have lots of steel club wielding pawns and battle beasts. still is hard to cope with them as they are quick and strong. also you cant just sit them out like a manhunting pack (which are also vulnerable to guns).

and fire in my opinion is cheesing the game...i know you can just put wooden flooring in all cave complexes to molotov them, but that really isnt the meaning behind them in my opinion...the game has various weaknesses in ai, no need to abuse them. more fun that way. i also dont get cheaters and hackers. but that's just me. (and mostly concerns other games.

Not sure how purging giant insects with fire is cheating? The traps pathing sure, but shooting incendiary launchers and molotovs at them is both effective and can be quite risky. Making the area they might spawn in extra flammable is just being prepared. The issue is there is not really much blunt damage that is ranged, but fire is both ranged-capable and effective at fighting bugs. Blunt damage is very efective but obviously those bugs are nasty in melee, so it's risky.
Ideally you want a brawler (who has some pets) with a mace, rather than a club, and the mace should be made out of silver or uranium to get bonus blunt damage. If you're using clubs, making it out of jade (or uranium/silver) can also get bonus blunt damage. When you select building materials, you can press the info tab to see how using that material will affect the melee weapon. Plasteel, for example, is a great option for making sharp weapons, while uranium is your best bet for a metal to make your maces from.

sick puppy

Quote from: Grubfist on January 31, 2018, 06:20:56 PM
Quote from: sick puppy on January 31, 2018, 05:45:12 PM

Not sure how purging giant insects with fire is cheating? The traps pathing sure, but shooting incendiary launchers and molotovs at them is both effective and can be quite risky. Making the area they might spawn in extra flammable is just being prepared. The issue is there is not really much blunt damage that is ranged, but fire is both ranged-capable and effective at fighting bugs. Blunt damage is very efective but obviously those bugs are nasty in melee, so it's risky.
Ideally you want a brawler (who has some pets) with a mace, rather than a club, and the mace should be made out of silver or uranium to get bonus blunt damage. If you're using clubs, making it out of jade (or uranium/silver) can also get bonus blunt damage. When you select building materials, you can press the info tab to see how using that material will affect the melee weapon. Plasteel, for example, is a great option for making sharp weapons, while uranium is your best bet for a metal to make your maces from.
i didnt say it was cheating. but cheese. i dont like either.
and it is cheese in that the ai has no real defence against fire. granted, i havent tried fire against raiders extensively, but if the fire doesnt just randomly go out by itself most enemies and even allied pawns will just burn to a crisp with nothing else of you to do. fires in caves arent problems either, so you can just let it burn down by itself, no fear of forest fires.
sure, i know there are better weapons, but i also have to look out for the efficiency of things. cant spend money on jade only to make an awful club out of it. rather take the good steel clubs that get dropped by raiders regularly.
generally it is easiest to deal with bug hives in my experience by rushing them with all your troops and animals. if only few bugs spawn, only few can attack you, afterall. in other playthroughs i have left them alive when they were near entrances of the map especially when it is an often used road for traders and visitors, or even raiders. unfortunately that doesnt happen often and they have a high tendency to obstruct you in your daily business and to get out of hand.

HighDerpLord

Quote from: Keychan on January 30, 2018, 02:11:16 PM
The idea stems from ant and bee colonies where newborn queens go into a phase called Nuptial Flight, where the young queen ant gets wings and leaves the main colony to mate and build up its own. 

What would happen in-game is that the player will get a message that a young hive queen has enter the map and will be looking for a place nearby to brood. 
The young Hive Queen will enter the map, young and with wings, and will randomly choose an area on the map that would have a mountain overhead roof.  It will then dig until it meets that location and dig out a small room.  It will idle around its small room until it matures, losing its wings and getting fat. (Probably eating some nearby local wildlife or farm animals while at it)
And I've thought up two scenarios for its reproduction phases once it matures:

1. The Hive Queen will spawn/build a MegaHive.  The MegaHive does not spawn insects, but normal hives at twice the normal rate.  It will also spawn an exessive amount of insect jelly and glowpods.  Only the Hive Queen will be able to tend to the MegaHive.  If the MegaHive were to be destroyed, all normal hives stemming from it will become dormant and no spawn other hives.

2. The Hive Queen will lay insect eggs that have a chance to spawn as either 3 already existing insect types.  (Higher chance for Megascarabs and lower chance for MegaSpider).  She will spawn a normal hive once a week.

As long as the Hive Queen lives, as a part two warning notification for the player, a portion of the insect hive population will attack the player like when a raid siege or waiting raid chooses to attack the player.  This would only happen after a very long period where the Hive would 'feel' its confident to attack the player. (Its population when compared to player wealth)

The Hive will be something you would want to nornally deal with early, but, if scenario 1, you can also use it to choose to farm it's insect jelly and glow pods.  Probably also the queen may have a valuable body part for killing it at its mature stage.

i think its a great idea, and im looking for such events to mod in to make the environment look much more vital and alive. I love the idea of a hostile force on ur map increasing in power if u let her