Rimworld turns purple-screened immediately after startup

Started by xhwzth1215, February 19, 2018, 09:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xhwzth1215

So my issue has been encountered by many players, and yes I've read all the mentioned solutions but none of them helps.
When starting the game, the music starts shortly but the screen remains purple-pink.
I'm using Intel Core I7 and Nvidia Geforce 1050 so it's unrelated to AMD issues. When I tried version A15 and A14, the startup is fine but the generated map, guess what, is purple. I've tried reinstalling and getting rid of mods but the problem persists.
I've tried using different versions of graphics driver but, you know.
Also, my computer somehow can't install some versions of the C++ visual redistributable(2015's for example), maybe that's a relevant factor.
This problem is driving me crazy, as I've lost numerous saves while uninstalling (my bad) and spent loads of time fixing it, please help!
P.S output_log attached for reference.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Calahan

Your log file (thanks for including it) pinpoints the error as being related to an unsupported shader:

Desired shader compiler platform 4 is not available in shader blob

WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UI/Default' - Pass 'DEFAULT' has no vertex shader
ERROR: Shader Shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UI/Default' - Setting to default shader.
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/VideoDecode' - Pass 'YCBCR_TO_RGB1' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/VideoDecode' - Setting to default shader.
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Internal-StencilWrite' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Internal-StencilWrite' - Setting to default shader.
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Internal-CombineDepthNormals' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Internal-CombineDepthNormals' - Setting to default shader.
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/BlitCopy' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/BlitCopy' - Setting to default shader.
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/BlitCopyDepth' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/BlitCopyDepth' - Setting to default shader.
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Internal-GUITextureClip' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
ERROR: Shader Shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Internal-GUITextureClip' - Setting to default shader.
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Internal-GUITextureClipText' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
ERROR: Shader Shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Internal-GUITextureClipText' - Setting to default shader.
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Internal-GUITexture' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Internal-GUITexture' - Setting to default shader.
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Internal-GUITextureBlit' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
ERROR: Shader Shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Internal-GUITextureBlit' - Setting to default shader.
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/ConvertTexture' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/ConvertTexture' - Setting to default shader.
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Sprites/Default' - Pass '' has no vertex shader

Which is usually caused by an outdated GPU driver (but yours is up to date), or a GPU that is simply too old to run the software (not the case here either).

Can't recall anyone having this particular set of log errors before, so did some Googling, and the error appears to be caused by some missing Direct X 9 components. And depending on which version of Windows you are using, it might not be that easy for you to get them. So

1 - Try checking for updates to  DirectX 11 (by checking for a Windows update).
As according to the log file your version of DirectX 11 (Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.1]) seems to be out of date, as the most recent version is 11.4.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh404562(v=vs.85).aspx

2 - Next up is to try (re)installing DirectX 9.0C again.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34429

I'm going to assume you are using Windows 10 for now (but please confirm your O/S like I asked). In which case the above installer might not work for you. But in my Googling I did find this very helpful looking thread (on Steam). One of the user's who posted in the thread (user: Madfish starting at post #8) is seemingly having the exact same problem you are (with the game "The Hive")
https://steamcommunity.com/app/325730/discussions/0/357286119110767313/

That user posts a very detailed troubleshooting write-up (which is well worth reading), and the upshot is they managed to resolve this issue by obtaining the missing DirectX 9 components from the following installer.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

Now the snag is that this user was using Window 8.1Pro. And if you are using Windows 10 as I've assumed, then this particular installer might not work for you.

3 - This issue could also be due to the problem you say you are having installing those Microsoft redistributables. Those can be, and usually are, pretty essential. So I'd recommend troubleshooting their installation with Microsoft support at your earliest convenience.

I'll leave it at that for now and wait for you to try the above, and to confirm your O/S. Although I'd also like to ask:

A - If you have encountered this issue with any other games? In particular any other Unity games (do you have any other Unity based games you can run to test them?).
B - Is your computer fairly new? And
C - When was the last time RimWorld worked on your current computer? (I'm assuming it has worked because you mention you have lost saves when reinstalling). So has B18 worked before? (so no pink screen). And if so, when did it stop working? and did anything of note happen around this time? (Such as was a new GPU driver released? Did you change any 3D settings in the Nvidia Control Panel? Such as forcing the global use of certain 3D settings?).

xhwzth1215

Thanks for the support on such short notice! I really appreciate your help and I'll try out the strategies given shortly.
I was suspecting DX problems but by far only tried reinstalling DX10. (Update, reinstalled DX9 but have no effect.)
But then I ran dxdiag, and according to its diagnostics, I'm using DX12. I feel befuddled since you told me I'm using DX11.1? A screenshot is attached. (In Chinese though, sorry for the inconvenience.) And my system is also up to date, I've checked for updates in the settings.
Ok, so yes, I AM using windows 10.
Answers to your inquiries:
A. Not that I can think of. There are a few other Unity (personal version?) games on my computer that works fine. Although one of my other game, PES2016, fails to initialize the same day Rimworld stopped working, though I'm unsure if that has anything to do with unity engines.
B. I bought my laptop nearly a year ago, so I'm going with yes, it is "fairly" new.
C. I'm uncertain, but my guess would be in January and maybe the start of February, and I certainly don't have the gut to mess around with GPU settings :).
Thanks again!!!

Calahan

Thanks for confirming your O/S (and answering the other stuff).

re C: Have you disabled automatic updates (Microsoft removed that option officially, but it can be enabled "unofficially" if you know how). And if so how often do you check for Windows 10 updates? When you check for Windows 10 updates (as part of step #1) please confirm that, after clicking on the "check for updates" button, it gives you the "Windows it up to date" (or similar" message). Just so that I know for sure that Windows is up to date (and so I can rule it out of potential causes / fixes) 

Reason being is I'm trying to understand what happened at end the January / start of February that suddenly caused the game to stop working. There was a big Windows 10 update recently, but IIRC that was in November, which doesn't align with your dates. Unless of course your Windows 10 didn't or couldn't update until a few weeks ago. As the Windows 10 updater can bug-out as well and end up in a stalled update state for ages. So if it is supposed to update automatically for you, maybe it bugged-out and couldn't do so until a few weeks ago (after un-bugging itself), and for whatever reason this major update broke something with regards to DirectX / DirectX compatibility. Windows 10 not updating might also explain why your DirectX 11 is seemingly a few versions out of date.

So do you remember a time consuming Windows 10 update in recent weeks? Or maybe back in November? (so besides the time it took to download, the installation would have taken at least an hour or so. Any memories of that?). Your screenshot indicates your Windows 10 build is the most recent, so after this major update I mention. So question is when this update occurred for you (in November or a few weeks ago?)

xhwzth1215

Wow that is really quick. (Think we're really making progress here due to your support!)
So first thing first, I'm almost 100% sure that my computer experienced no update recently. And quite frankly, what you said (an installation that took an hour) never seems to have taken place. If it happened under my watch I would've got frustrated cause I consider myself as impatient (haha). If it happens after I click the shutdown button then maybe I missed it. But my best guess is that the update occurred a REALLY LONG TIME ago.
And as you said the system is up to date, I've checked three times by pushing that button in the setting so that can't be wrong.
I also got C++ installed except for 2015's version, which, according to Microsoft, is usually included in games. Direct X 9 was also reinstalled, and I've run a DX diagnostics using another software that indicate absolutely no problems.
My problems seem complicated, so thank you for staying with me!
(P.S Do you know any other games that have an internal mechanism (like DX) like rimworld so I can test them as well?)
(P.P.S Is there a way to look at win 10's update history? A log file, maybe?)

Calahan

So:

1 - Can you please confirm that you managed to reinstall DirectX 9.0c from this link
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=8109

You would have needed to extract the archive file into a folder and then run the DXSETUP.exe installation file (see attached screenshot). I have the same Windows 10 version you do, and I was able to reinstall DirectX 9.0c with this. (but I encountered an error when trying to reinstall it from the other link I gave. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=34429 )

It's important for us to know that DirectX 9.0c has successfully installed (which if why I'm asking again even though you said you installed it), and without errors (important), since that was the most likely cause of those log errors. So if DirectX 9.0c has been installed properly, and assuming it didn't fix the shader problems with RimWorld, then that means something else was likely the cause.

2 - If Windows 10 is reporting it is up to date (when checking for updates) then that should mean your up to date :) So I think we can rule out Windows 10 being out of date (and the files I request further down can help confirm this).

3 - If you can't remember a recent Windows update that took a long time then maybe it happened when you shutdown your computer and so you didn't notice the long time it took to shutdown (if you weren't at your computer and/or switched your monitor off). There would also have been a delay when you restarted your computer (as such updates have a shutdown and reboot stage for the updating). But this would have been shorter in time (so a few minutes) and so less memorable. Plus all of these times I mention would be reduced by the speed of your CPU and harddrive, which explains some (all) of the difference in times. Basically, your computer received this update at some point, and is now up to date. (it may have been a few weeks ago, and it might be what caused the game to stop working. But even if we assume it was the cause, it only solves one part of this mystery, and the other part is the more important one. Namely how to get the game working again).

3a - You can check your systems history via the Event Viewer. Which you can find through the Administrative Tools in the Windows Control Panel. (or if you can't find that, access the event viewer file directly in its directory, which is Windows\system32\eventvwr.msc )

You can also check for specifically Windows updates by going to the Windows update screen and clicking "View Installed Update History". Or by going to the Control Panel>Programs and Features and clicking on "View Installed Updates" from the left hand column menu.

4 - I need you to post the result of a DxDiag.tx file (as an attachment please). You posted a screenshot of your DxDiag page earlier, but the text file created via the "Save All Information" button contains your full system information breakdown.

4a - Start RimWorld again, and post the log file generated. (lets see if any of those previous errors have gone/changed)

5 - My only suggestion right now regarding a solution (until I see the above files) is for you to try and force RimWorld to use DirectX 9 via a command line parameter. You can do this by either adding -force-d3d9 to the end of the target window in the desktop shortcut for the game. (so navigate to the RimWorld installation folder, right-click on the RimWorld.exe and create a desktop shortcut. Then right-click that shortcut on the desktop and select properties. Then select the Target input window which will contain the folder path where the game installed, the end of which should be RimWorldWin.exe add -force-d3d9. So that it now end RimWorldWin.exe -force-d3d9)

Or I think you can do this via Steam by right-clicking on RimWorld in your library and select Properties>Set Launch Options...  and in the resulting textbox enter -force-d3d9. Or if that doesn't work delete the starting - so that its typed force-d3d9 (I rarely use Steam myself so not entirely sure how these launch option work).

If you are still getting the same log errors, and despite reinstalling DirectX 9.0c, and updating DirectX 11 to 11.4 (assuming it's updated), then it's starting to look like those missing/failed Microsoft redistributables are the most likely cause. But I'm not sure how much I'll be able to help you with that issue, since I'm likely to know a lot less about troubleshooting that problem compared to those at Microsoft support. Do you know precisely which redistributables are failing to install? And when did they fail to install? And if a while ago, have you tried to install them again recently?

Edit:

6 - You mentioned earlier that you don't mess around with your GPU settings, in which case you can try restoring the default settings. I doubt this is the cause of this shadier problem, but it's worth trying. So to restore your GPU setting open the Nvidia Control Panel, click on Manage 3D settings, and then click on the "Restore" button in the central panel.

ps. I'm afraid I don't play many different games, and as such I don't know of any other particular game(s) you can try running in order to see if this same problem occurs with other games. Although obviously Indie games are going to be far more likely to be using Unity than AAA developers, and newer games / games still being developed, are more likely to be using the version of Unity that RimWorld B18 is using. So other than the game "The Hive" (which was the game that user I mentioned earlier was having trouble with), I don't specifically know the name of any particular game you can try for testing. (if I find any while looking for answers to this I'll mention them).

xhwzth1215

Ok, it's definitely going to take some time. Please standby.
I will update this message when each procedure is complete.

-Yes, installing DX9 is confirmed as instructed without any errors.
-Okay here's a screenshot of the history thingy you requested down below. (Chinese, truly sorry for that.)
-And there goes the DXDiag txt file~
-Output log uploaded.
-And maybe you'll need the msc file.
-Tried both methods to force DX9, won't work.
-Tried restoring default settings in Nvidia 3D settings, no luck either.

Calahan

Thanks for the numerous files. Okay, next round:

101 - When you say forcing DirectX 9 won't work, did the game not launch at all? (which can often happen if it doesn't like being forced to use certain settings). Or was it that it didn't solve the pink screen problem? So please can you attach a log file from one of those attempts to force DirectX 9 (the log file should indicate this forced command if it's been tried).

And please can you use the log file from RimWorld's installation directory, and not from the folder in LocalLow. So the log file located in your F:\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data folder.

Reason being is that the log file you just posted is identical to the one you posted in the OP (I even compared them!). Which might be because the game is still generating the same identical set of errors, but it might also be because (and assuming these log files you posted are from the AppData\LocalLow\LudeonStudios\RimWorld by Ludeon Studios folder) the log file in the LocalLow folder isn't being updated properly (for whatever reason). So please only post log files from your F:\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data folder from here on (I should really update some of the pinned info threads regarding this).

102 - I've just noticed that you have a laptop. Which is quite helpful in this case because you can try running the game using the Intel GPU instead of the Nvidia GPU. Which might hopefully provide a different set of log errors. So please try running the game with the Intel GPU and post the log file from that attempt

(easiest way to do this is open the Nvidia Control Panel, go to the "Desktop" options under the header menu, and check if the "Add "Run with graphics processor" to Context Menu option" is enabled, and enable it if it isn't. Then right-click on RimWorld's desktop icon and there should be an option near the top that says "Run with graphics processor >", and then select your Intel GPU from the submenu.

Alternatively you can go to the Windows Device Manager and simply disable your Nvidia GPU, which will absolutely force RimWorld to use your Intel GPU. Note you might have to do this anyway as I'm not sure if you can run the Steam version with the Intel GPU via the first option, as Steam might auto-detect your Nvidia GPU and override any instructions not to use it. But the log file will say which GPU is being used.

And of course if you do disabled your Ndivia GPU, please don't forget to re-enable it again.)

103 - I'm assuming you are running the game in fullscreen mode. If so have you tried running it in windowed mode? Not sure it'll make a difference but you have nothing to lose by checking to make sure.

You can force the game to run in a borderless window by using the -popupwindow command line parameter.

104 - The screenshot of your Windows update history says there was a Windows update around the time (you think) RimWorld stopped working (30th January). The info for this update doesn't suggest it was anything major though, so doubt it was the cause (but can't rule it out either). https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4056892

The eventvwr.msc file I mentioned (and you attached) isn't a file containing info. It's a file you run and shows you a history of your system updates etc. The info is likely no good to me (as it'll be in Chinese), but you might be able to look at the dates of various updates to see if anything happened around the time RimWorld stopped working.

If we run out of ideas then maybe you can try uninstalling some of those Windows updates, but I can't se that being the cause myself (so only worth trying if there are no options left to try, and well below asking Microsoft support for help).

105 - Try uninstalling your Nvidia GPU drivers and reinstalling an older GPU driver. So one from the end of last year (and from when you are 100% certain that RimWorld B18 was working).

So to summarise this round of tests:

- Please post a log fie from your attempts to force RimWorld to use DirectX 9 (remembering to use the log file from the installation directory).
- Please post a log file from trying to run the game with your Intel GPU, both with and without trying to force the game to use DirectX 9.
- Please try installing an older Nvidia GPU driver (as maybe it was a driver update that caused the game to stop working), and post the log file from that attempt.
- Please either rename the log files (to indicate which test the log relates to), or just create separate posts to post them. (I'm hoping the logs will clearly say which test they relate to, but in case they don't). So I'm looking for 4 log files in total (Forcing DirectX 9 + Nvidia GPU... Forcing DirectX 9 + using the Intel GPU... One with just using the Intel GPU... And one where you tried an older Nvidia GPU driver).

I'll hopefully know more once I see these new log files. I hope. But the root cause of the pink screen problem you are having is due to RimWorld needing to use certain features of your GPU (ie. shaders), but is unable to for whatever (as yet unknown) reason. Whenever a Unity game can't use something relating to the graphics, it reverts to its default "something went wrong" option of displaying the problem in pink. So the problem isn't with RimWorld itself, as the problem is that something RimWorld needs to use in order to work properly isn't available to it.

If the problem is with the Nvidia GPU drivers, then using your Intel GPU should solve/confirm that. Likewise for installing an older Nvidia GPU (from when you know B18 worked). If nothing involving changing your GPU, Nvidia GPU drivers resolves this problem then it's logical to conclude the source of the problem is your DirectX installation and/or those missing Microsoft redistributable. Since both GPU's will need to use DirectX, and RimWorld/the Unity engines needs some Microsoft redistributables (and maybe some of those you couldn't install).

I'll leave it here until I see the new set of log files.

xhwzth1215

That's quite a list of objectives you got me there. I can't thank enough for your consistent and extensive support! You really got my spirit up and going!
I gotta go to bed pretty soon (cause I'm in China's time zone), so I'll complete your "assignments" in order after I wake up the next day.
Again, I'll post any updates on the current situation if there's any.
P.S: On that log matter, I'm quite confused about the situation because I uploaded the log files from the rim world win-data folder (installation folder) from the very start. In fact I've never opened that savefile today. But I'll upload again tomorrow just in case.
P.P.S: I apologize for not being clear on that DX9 matter, when I said it didn't work I meant the obnoxious purple is still there. Nothing else changed.

-So I've decided to put all the files in this particular post with alternate names if that's fine with you.
-FIRSTLY, the log file that was generated with DX9 forced.

Calahan

Quote from: xhwzth1215 on February 20, 2018, 08:56:05 AMP.S: On that log matter, I'm quite confused about the situation because I uploaded the log files from the rim world win-data folder (installation folder) from the very start. In fact I've never opened that savefile today. But I'll upload again tomorrow just in case.
Many thanks for confirming that.

And in that case those log files were identical because the errors being generated by the game are still the same. Which makes sense and quite logical if the cause of the problem hasn't been addressed. But it also means that installing DirectX 9.0c, checking for updates, resetting Nvidia settings etc. had, sadly, no affect at all :(  But not a total loss since at least these things can be checked off the "things to check" list.

I'll likely be offline when you post in (your) morning. I should hopefully be around similar times tomorrow as I was today though, but if not I will check the new set of logs you post and get back to you as soon as I'm able to (and if I get chance later today I'll try doing some more Googling about these log errors to see what other solutions might be on offer).

xhwzth1215

Wait sorry I made a HUGE mistake here.
I mysteriously got two Rimworld installations on two separate disks, and I got them messed up. That means what you just compared might be incorrect and some of the conclusions previously cannot be drawn.
The file SHOULD be from disk G, not F (which is what i did). The one in F came from an uninstallation and therefore won't change as we test.
I'm sooooo sorry for that this is completely on me.
Please tell me what you need now to reconfirm what you just said.

!Also, I'm having trouble disabling nvidia GPU, please specify detailed steps on disabling Nvidia completely temporarily.!

Calahan

No worries, mistakes happen.

Okay, I think at this point the best option is to start with a full clean reinstall, so that we can be sure of what's going on. And then from that point move on to testing the game with the Intel GPU, old Nvidia driver etc (and likely retest forcing DirectX 9, with both the Intel and Nvidia GPU). So to perform a clean reinstall.

How to Perform a Clean Reinstall

1. Reset RimWorld's configuration data by deleting all the RimWorld configuration files. You'll find them in one of the following folders (depending on your operation system):

Windows        C:/Users/[username]/AppData/LocalLow/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld/Config
C:/Users/[username]/AppData/LocalLow/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld by Ludeon Studios/Config
Note 1: the AppData folder may be hidden.
Note 2: the RimWorld folder within LocalLow may differ for various users, see this thread
MacUsers/[username]/library/Application Support/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld/Config
Users/[username]/library/Caches/RimWorld/Config
Linux/home/[username]/.config/unity3d/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld/Config

2. Uninstall the game and delete the game files.
-If you ARE on Steam:
  A: Unsubscribe from all mods in the Workshop.
  B: In Steam library, right-click RimWorld and select Uninstall.
  C: Shut down Steam.
  D: Delete this folder (if it's there): Steam\SteamApps\common\RimWorld
  E: Delete this folder (if it's there): Steam\SteamApps\workshop\content\294100
  F: Restart your PC.

3. [Windows only] Download and run Delete_RimWorld_Registry_entries.reg (right click the link and use Save Target As) and double-click it to delete all registry entries related to RimWorld.

5. Open Steam, install RimWorld and play.

If the game still doesn't work then please repeat the above, inserting the following two steps.

4. Disable virus protection programs (they occasionally flag RimWorld as a virus and kill it, since it was downloaded from the Internet).

6. Remember to re-enable your virus protection.

Obviously make sure to delete both (all?) your RimWorld folders. Do a files and folder search for "RimWorld" if you think you might have missed any. Then once you've got a nice clean installation:

1 - Try just starting the game. When you get to the pink screen then please post the log file from this attempt (this particular log file will be important as the base log file which we will use to compare against the other log files from the various tests).

2 - Assuming you still encountered a pink screen, then proceed with tests 101, 102, 103, and 105 I mentioned in my most recent lengthy post (104 didn't involve anything to test). And also redo test 5 from earlier. And of course post the log file from each test (and as I mentioned, either rename the each log file according to the test, or just create a separate post for each one mentioning which test it was from. Either way is fine, and whatever's easiest for you.

Hopefully these various tests and log files will at least confirm whether this is a GPU driver issue, or a DirectX / redistributables issue, which will be a big help in determining what the next step would then be in looking or asking for help. And if the problem is the Nvidia driver then there's a decent chance the game will work properly when you run it with the Intel GPU.

Quote from: xhwzth1215 on February 20, 2018, 09:21:48 AM
!Also, I'm having trouble disabling nvidia GPU, please specify detailed steps on disabling Nvidia completely temporarily.!
Did you manage to enable the "Add "Run with graphics processor" to Context Menu option within the Nvidia Control Panel? (see attached screenshots of the Nvidia Control Panel, and the option it adds to the desktop right-click menu). And if so did that allow you to run the game with the Intel GPU? (it will be labelled as "Integrated graphics" in the context menu).

(Instructions and screenshots on how to disable your Nvidia GPU in the post below).

Calahan

How to disable your Nvidia GPU

- Open the Windows Device Manager by right-clicking the Windows Start button and selecting Device Manager, which should be about 5-6 options down from the top. (just noticed you can access the Event Viewer this way as well, rather than my complicated way earlier).

- Then from within the Device Manager menu find and expand your Display Adapters, right-click on your Nvidia GPU and select properties. From the popup menu select the Driver tab, and then click the Disable option (see attached screenshot).

When you click Disable the screen will likely go black for a second or two (as your O/S switches over to using your Intel GPU). The above is also how you can enable your Nvidia GPU again afterwards (and obviously the "Disable" button will then say "Enable" instead, and the screen will go black for a second or two again).

xhwzth1215

Thanks for understanding! I've just completed a clean installation and any further updates will be found in this post.

-It's still giving me a purple screen but with one black strip on each side. Think it's due to the altered resolution. The base log file is provided.
-Test 101 completed. See attachment below.
-Test 102 a & b are both completed, see attachment below. Unfortunately, disabling Nvidia took no effect.
-Don't understand what's a borderless window but I did it anyway, seemingly no visible effect. Attachment is added.
-For the last test, I'm sorry to say but I'm currently running the driver that was published in 2017.4 so it is old enough and certainly had worked.
Please let me know if there's anything else I can do here to clear things up a bit. Thanks for the effort!

Calahan

Thank you for doing all that testing. I think it has helped narrow down the problem, and given that the Intel GPU had the same problem I'm now inclined to believe this is almost certainly a DirectX issue. (or those Microsoft redistributables).

What I don't understand though is why this problem suddenly started occurring a few weeks ago? If B18 had never worked for you then the cause would very likely be the Unity update that RimWorld received for B18, which in turn caused these problems. But B18 has worked fine for you so... the cause is a mystery?

And I'm afraid I haven't got the same level of spare time today that I had yesterday to research this issue (yesterday was an unexpectedly light real life work day for me), but I will keep looking into this problem during the spare moments I get today to try and find a solution.

If you want to then you can also try looking for a solution yourself by Googling the log errors. As I will most likely just be Googling the following two log extracts and hope one of the results provides a solution:

Desired shader compiler platform 4 is not available in shader blob

ERROR: Shader Shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)

Quote from: xhwzth1215 on February 20, 2018, 08:41:25 PM
-Don't understand what's a borderless window but I did it anyway, seemingly no visible effect. Attachment is added.
A borderless window is basically just Windowed mode (ie. not fullscreen) but without the visible edges, title bar, minimise/maximise buttons that you normally get in windowed mode. I would have asked you to test normal windowed mode but you would need to be able to access the in-game options screen for that (but you can't due to this purple screen problem, so I chose the easiest alternative).

Quote from: xhwzth1215 on February 20, 2018, 08:41:25 PM-For the last test, I'm sorry to say but I'm currently running the driver that was published in 2017.4 so it is old enough and certainly had worked.
Have you been using this old Nvidia driver the whole time? If so then it's worth updating it not only to see if it helps with this purple screen problem, but it will likely help improve the performance of your other games.

As I said I'll try and post again once I have a possible solution for you to try.