performance

Started by ajaviide, February 20, 2018, 08:45:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajaviide

Hello im starting new game next weekend and i wanted to try 2 big new mods i havent tried yet.
Medieval Times and Project Fallout (huuuuuuge fan of Fallout 1-2 here).I think they bouth have dirty looking (in good way) graphics, witch compliment eachother.

I was thinking if there is a point to use Rimfire mod to disable a bunch of clutter weapons these both mods have. Will it increase performance(less weapons)? or decrease(more mods in total)?(im already running like 50 mods)

Its kinda more of a curiosity question about how rimworld works and sorry for my bad english.

Canute

Also my personal thinking, it don't made sense to mix Medieval times with other weapon mods. If you want stay at medevial all other modern weapons are to powerful, and you should use faction control mod to remove/surpess advance factions.

From the point of performace it don't made much difference if you add a few weapon/armor mods.
Other factor like map/world size is more important or mod's that add alot of pawn to the map like Zombieland.

Harry_Dicks

I don't think having a few extra thingdefs from xml mods will add too much lag, especially if they are just simply weapons like a sword or pieces of armor.

I personally don't use any of the mods you've listed though just because for me, they add too much of the same thing. I don't want 100 weapons in my games or 50 pieces of different armor that is all almost the same. If possible, I want everything in my game to fill a niche, with minimal overlap. Sure give me maybe a few tiers or a little variety, but I will never need even 10 kinds of gunpowder pistols, or 10 kinds of assault rifles, 40 different generic "laser" weapons, etc.

If performance is an issue for you, like it definitely is for me, what I've done is actually been going through and pruning my mod list a lot. I figure that if I only have so much CPU to spare, then I would much rather have it spent on two separate and unique mods that do new and interesting things, rather than have 50 more new skins of similar weapons.

However, even though I don't use those mods, doesn't mean that you might not fall in love with them. Personally, I have at least a few things taken out of Medieval Times, like the desk/writing system, art and statues including the "praying" joy activity to them, small and large cots, the braziers, hearths, streetlights, berserker armor, and maybe one or two other things.

I also think Medieval Times is great as there is an actual medieval technology "level" in the game. But this is represented rather poorly in the base game, in my opinion. Medieval Times also adds in Medieval Raiders(pirates) too I think, which is awesome. If you have a bunch of extra factions from mods, maybe check out RF - Faction Control. It will allow you to turn other factions from spawning in the world map on or off, cluster them together or not, change their quantity, and many more interesting things. I actually recommend all of of the RF mods https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=36687.0

If you're up for it, you too can learn how altering the xml of mods isn't that difficult with a proper text editor, like Notepad++. Then you could take out just the parts you want from mods like these, and leave all the rest behind. I also recommend setting up the mod's base folder into the "work from folder" feature, as it makes moving around to different common directories within the mod a breeze.

Any further help with something like this you can message me on my Discord and I should be able to help get ya started :)

ajaviide

Yea i mostly dont use these types of mods  , but I usually change some mods in between playtroughs, and wanted to try these 2.
Was just a bit worried about the amount of clutter they have. It actually runs pretty well.

Edit: i have actually done little bit xml edit but its very hard for me i have bad concentration skill :)
I did bordercollie for a16 (my gf made textures after my parents dog) and some reskins (of vanilla) for powerarmor and some weapons using other modders assets for personal use.I will probably update them for myself atleast when 1.0 hits
Its really cool feeling tho when you make something like this.

sulusdacor

there some performance mods:
Quote<li>b18 performance mod - RuntimeGC</li>
    <li>b18 performance mod - IdleFix</li>
    <li>b18 performance mod - Make War Not Love</li>
    <li>b18 performance mod - RotTickFix</li>
    <li>b18 performance mod - TickMultiThread</li>
if you google or search on forum/steam you probably find them.

i found especially the removal of the social system and the runtimeGC clean up helped a lot in bigger colonys. you need to run it from time to time, but you can keep playing without big lag this way even on higher speed (and using a bunch of mods - 100+).