Add ability to disable the dev console when creating a new save

Started by Third_Of_Five, February 21, 2018, 10:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Third_Of_Five

Yeah, yeah, call me weak, tell me I have no willpower, I don't care. When I first started playing rimworld, I had a lot more fun back when I didn't know that the dev console existed. Now whenever I am playing the game and something goes wrong, I always get the temptation to use it, because the colonist who is about to die is just too valuable, or the toxic fallout event that is about to wipe out my crops is just too much to deal with right now; or whatever other excuse I tell myself to justify cheating. Fact is that the temptation alone takes away from the experience of the game.

It seems like common sense to me that there should be an ability when creating a new colony to be able to irrevocably disable the dev console. Like with permadeath mode; just a little box you can check when choosing the difficulty that will alter the save file so that dev mode cannot be accessed.

(And yes, I checked the workshop for mods, and the only ones I could find were a. outdated, and b. mess with your save files, which I don't like. Regardless I think this should be a vanilla feature anyway.)

doomdrvk

Well first off this option would be useless to most people who don't use the dev console, it would be referencing something which isn't even essential to the game in a menu about direct game features.
There's also that its not the developers job to keep you from enabling development mode. Its also important that a player is able to read the error log when mods act up. Try the other options which you've already mentioned because this will never be a feature, its just too tacky.

You could also try in the mod section and request a mod to disable developer mode for a save, I'm sure one of the modders will help you.

sick puppy

used to have similar problems in various games for the longest time

then i finally became save scum

then i upgraded my brain to cheesing

i am now on my way to my perfect form, the person that just plays the damn game.

honestly though, you're weak and so am i. you have keep ignoring that shit. maybe record your gameplay. no need to upload it anywhere, you can also immediately delete it. it just serves the purpose of making you feel watched. or play with a friend of yours. you guys will keep eachother from cheating. also, honor system.

Harry_Dicks

I'm confused, there is already a permadeath mode, and a mod that disables dev mode, but you don't want it to mess with your saves? And someone else says they still need to be able to enable it in case a bug pops up? Like, what? You can't have your cake and eat it to. Just make up your minds already to use the dang dev console or not and live with your decision. Be a man :)

Third_Of_Five

Quote from: sick puppy on February 24, 2018, 03:54:37 AM
honestly though, you're weak and so am i. you have keep ignoring that shit. maybe record your gameplay. no need to upload it anywhere, you can also immediately delete it. it just serves the purpose of making you feel watched. or play with a friend of yours. you guys will keep eachother from cheating. also, honor system.
Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 24, 2018, 10:05:25 PM
I'm confused, there is already a permadeath mode, and a mod that disables dev mode, but you don't want it to mess with your saves? And someone else says they still need to be able to enable it in case a bug pops up? Like, what? You can't have your cake and eat it to. Just make up your minds already to use the dang dev console or not and live with your decision. Be a man :)

Look I get it, it takes some willpower. The game isn't unplayable for me, I can resist the temptation to use the dev console just fine. What I am arguing is that having to deal with that temptation in the first place takes away from the experience of the game. Having to remind myself not to cheat every time something goes wrong makes the game less fun for me. That's all I'm saying.

And no, I'm not going to get a mod that won't allow me to open my save files without having it installed. That's how game files get corrupted. So unless you can link me to a mod that doesn't do that, I'd rather just write one myself.

Anyway I do appreciate the feedback, negative or otherwise. Just thought I'd put this idea out there.

Call me Arty

Y'see, I'd keep Dev Mode enabled for the same reason I don't play permadeath.

"Oh boy, you just used the last of the medicine on my torso infection? That's nice. I'm going to leave this comfy, sterile room and hospital bed and go for a nice meal. I'm sure I won't die 3% from immunity."

Let's not forget other fan-favorites, such as "forgot to restrict the newbie to the 'keep the hell away from the bugs' zone", and the "what the hell were you doing so far away from home base in the winter when we have an epidemic of starving predators" events.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Harry_Dicks

I've got the updated QOLTweaksPack running now, and hopefully the "walking off bruises" part will work when I get around to testing it.

Third_Of_Five

Quote from: Call me Arty on February 26, 2018, 04:01:29 PM
Y'see, I'd keep Dev Mode enabled for the same reason I don't play permadeath.

So don't disable dev mod when you start a game, just like how you don't enable permadeath.

Hjack9090

Quote from: Third_Of_Five on February 21, 2018, 10:11:50 AM
Yeah, yeah, call me weak, tell me I have no willpower, I don't care. When I first started playing rimworld, I had a lot more fun back when I didn't know that the dev console existed. Now whenever I am playing the game and something goes wrong, I always get the temptation to use it, because the colonist who is about to die is just too valuable, or the toxic fallout event that is about to wipe out my crops is just too much to deal with right now; or whatever other excuse I tell myself to justify cheating. Fact is that the temptation alone takes away from the experience of the game

It seems like common sense to me that there should be an ability when creating a new colony to be able to irrevocably disable the dev console. Like with permadeath mode; just a little box you can check when choosing the difficulty that will alter the save file so that dev mode cannot be accessed.

(And yes, I checked the workshop for mods, and the only ones I could find were a. outdated, and b. mess with your save files, which I don't like. Regardless I think this should be a vanilla feature anyway.)

I second this