Why am I must kill 1 horse each day to feed 5 mans?

Started by rimworldz7bwffyfxb7a, March 03, 2018, 02:02:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rimworldz7bwffyfxb7a

Greetings!

1. Don't you see, your "food"-engine is COMPLETELY WRONG!!!!

Have you ever seen how the hunt on the Boar proceeding ???

One Boar - can feed up-to 50 mans in large guests hall...
Moreover, +10 dogs might take their pieces of Boar!!!!

The game is turning into a killing of animals each second, just to prevent famine, if I simply want to travel across the world...

Why I must kill 3 horses - just to feed 5 mans for 3 days???
One horse - larger then mans stomach in 100x times !!!! HEY!!!!!
Have you ever seen Burger King's Burgers?
How many cows needs to create 1,000 dinner's burgers??
In your engine, I must kill 200 cows to create 1,000 dinners....
Hey!!!
May be one cow? May be two???

2. The second ( optional ) advice, please, add "Fog of War" on "World Map".
How my "Lost tribe" five mans, who even don't know how to make a solar generator, knows the whole planet with each towns on it????

3. The third ( optional )
What do you think about neural networks as a NPC mind? Have you discovered this theme?
There is large amount of interesting articles right now on the space of Internet....
The last news, you could compress network as "Bayesian space", in 200x times.
So, the 90megabytes of ResNet-50
https://github.com/BVLC/caffe/wiki/Model-Zoo#imagenet-pre-trained-models-with-batch-normalization
could become into 500 kb.
The 500kb which could determine - is it dolphin or it is ram...
Very interesting toOo-oOo-oOo-oOol to program AI in such game like RimWorld.... Methinks....

After this minor changes, the game should became the "second" "Fallout 2", if you don't want to build shitty colony, but want to travel, kill, complete quests, trade and discover the unknown planet....
Dynamic world, clever NPCs, smart enemies and tons of interesting locations...

Good luck!

Cheers!

sick puppy

1) i need sources on that!

2) use search bar! there is a mod for that!

3) i have no idea what you are talking about! doesnt look like minor changes though!

4) no need for second fallout 2! fallout 2 is already a second fallout 1!

5) quit spamming exclamation marks! you arent in a hurry! calm your tits!

no but seriously, i havent seen any good threads in the suggestions topic where the op makes multiple different suggestions. try making a thread per fleshed out suggestion if you are serious about your suggestions and have more things to add than "hey these guys have just figured out something high-tech-y! DO THAT!"

Boston

The food system in Rimworld is way out of whack, i agree.

Plant crops provide way too much food, for too little work, and animals provide way too little food, for way too much work.

sick puppy

i think this is where real life gets less important than game balance. you cant have that ridiculous amount of land dedicated to only planting to be able to make it through winter. also, hunting is just more fun. i think it is a nice encouragement for players to hunt and sometimes get into trouble with manhunters.

besides, manhunters? really? i have yet to see a manhunting turtle that can bite a skilled hunter's nose off...but as said. for this issue i'd rather have a fun game than a realistic one.

Boston

Quote from: sick puppy on March 04, 2018, 09:46:44 PM
i think this is where real life gets less important than game balance. you cant have that ridiculous amount of land dedicated to only planting to be able to make it through winter. also, hunting is just more fun. i think it is a nice encouragement for players to hunt and sometimes get into trouble with manhunters.

besides, manhunters? really? i have yet to see a manhunting turtle that can bite a skilled hunter's nose off...but as said. for this issue i'd rather have a fun game than a realistic one.

It isn't only the comically-small amount of farmland required (although that is equally ridiculous. Preindustrial agriculture required on average 120 or so acres of land to feed a family), it is the fact that almost no work goes into preparing the soil.

In-game, all the pawns do is remove grass, trees and bushes. They dont break up clods, till the soil, mix in fertilizer, or kill weeds.

Not doing that would result in plants that are barely fit for eating.

O Negative

I agree that hunting doesn't yield as much meat/food as it should.

I think part of the design problem is that there's a conflict of interest between two stats:
1) Meat amount, partially determined by bodySize
2) Hit chance, partially determined by bodySize

An animal that is larger yields more meat, and is easier to hit with ranged weapons. Meat amount can be manually set for each creature, but it is much more efficient to have that kind of stat automated through a simple equation. baseMeat * bodySize, for example.

The simplest solution would be to increase the baseMeat value.

Another issue might be that animals are constantly respawning on the map, and hunting provides almost instant food. You don't want to make hunting so efficient that growers aren't needed anymore.

Aerial

Quote from: O Negative on March 05, 2018, 02:19:37 AM
I agree that hunting doesn't yield as much meat/food as it should.

I think part of the design problem is that there's a conflict of interest between two stats:
1) Meat amount, partially determined by bodySize
2) Hit chance, partially determined by bodySize

An animal that is larger yields more meat, and is easier to hit with ranged weapons. Meat amount can be manually set for each creature, but it is much more efficient to have that kind of stat automated through a simple equation. baseMeat * bodySize, for example.

The simplest solution would be to increase the baseMeat value.

Another issue might be that animals are constantly respawning on the map, and hunting provides almost instant food. You don't want to make hunting so efficient that growers aren't needed anymore.

Another way to keep meat from being overpowered is to make pawns butcher animals over a certain size first, and then carry the  meat home in the  normal stacks.  (i.e. no more pawn or Fido carting an entire Thrumbo corpse home on its back).  Then the meat provided is large, but the time/work to gather is also increased to preserve balance.

sick puppy