[1.0] Time-based dangers, new incidents, dampening belts, and more (01/13/2019)

Started by Nales, January 13, 2019, 04:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nales

Greetings! Here are a few mods I made. Most of them use Harmony and they are all compatible with JecsTools. I've tried to make them as "clean" and compatible as possible, and all of them can be added to existing saves.

--- Time-Based Dangers ---

Makes dangers (such as raids and ambushes) based mostly on time, rather than wealth.

Why do I get additional raiders just because I have three dead thrumbos sitting in my freezer...?
RimWorld's "raid points" system (how deadly the raids and other threats are) is mostly based on your wealth: colonists, animals, items, buildings.
While this creates a highly adaptable gameplay and a great sandbox experience, in my opinion it also feels rather pointless after a while. Why would you be happy to create a Legendary Minigun, when it's going to dramatically increase the threats you're going to face - much more than a normal version? Worse, why would you ever keep this Legendary Large Jade Sculpture when it's going to attract tons of raiders while being useless for combat?
Also, with this system the "optimal" strategy is to play as basically super-ascetic monks, with virtually no decoration, poor furniture, and even badly damaged weapons and apparels (because they're just as effective but are worth less and give less wealth!)

This mod means to change that, and also to add some balancing for turrets.
The main feature is that raid points are now largely based on time. Colonists still contribute in a different way (otherwise the best strategy would simply be to recruit each and every colonist you can, which is not the point), but threat progress is mostly time-based. Turrets, being inherently powerful, also increase points.

The following parameters have been removed, added, or changed:
- Colony wealth (colonists, animals, items, buildings) is no longer factored at all.
- Each day passed now increases raid points. This is somewhat adjusted for your technology level: lower technology levels increase these points a little less. They're still meant to be more difficult, though.
- Colonists still give some points, but less - and not based on market value, so bionics as much as you want. However, the mod recognizes that having more colonists means you're progressing faster: the daily points increase depends on your population - having more colonists means you're getting more points each day. (but this is not retroactive)
- Animals in vanilla give additional points (based on combat power) in addition to their wealth. The wealth part was removed, the combat power points were partially kept. But this is largely negligible, unless you're using a mod like GeneticRim to quickly and safely get lots of powerful animals.
- Adaptation (threats being modulated depending on your recent performances) has been removed. I mean, why would the raiders go easy on you because two of your colonists have died recently? Bad guys these days are just too chivalrous. Kick and loot them while they're down, I say!
- Automated turrets increase points. If you decide to use a lot of turrets, expect more difficult raids. This is for balancing reasons, and it also makes sense in-universe: if you're hiding behind dozens of turrets, raiders will expect that you're guarding something really precious, and will therefore make more effort to steal it.
This change means to balance out the offensive power of turrets. To counter the strategy of using mini-turrets as cannon fodder, see the "Turrets Are Not Tanks" mod below.

- This mod also has consequences on caravan ambushes. In vanilla, these only use the caravan's wealth to calculate points, which usually results in a single naked Leeroy Jenkins attacking your caravan with a rusty knife.
With this mod, caravan ambushes are calculated in almost the same way as raids, except they only use a portion of the points. Make sure your non-violent traders have a few bodyguards or strong animals in their caravan...

- Finally, expectations are now time-based as well. The longer you play, the more expectations your colonists will have. This also applies to caravans, although colonists in the wild will always have reasonable expectations even after several years.

Compatible with any mod that doesn't change threat points calculations. (to my knowledge, only Marvin's "Readiness" mods do that)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1624131230

--- HarshWorld ---

Adds several deadly dangers that only happen during mid and late game.

As you research and build more stuff, non-raid dangers such as temperature, food, or disease... become a trivial issue.
Some facilities, such as hospital beds and vitals monitors, are of little use - because by the time you can build them, you shouldn't have any problem healing any kind of injury or disease that can appear in the game.
Well, let's just say this mod adds an actual use for them... and much more! Beware: if you didn't prepare well enough, these new incidents could easily kill some of your colonists, or even endanger your entire colony. But what's a story without some challenge and the possibility of a little drama?

One example: this mod adds two new tiers of infections that have a chance to appear instead of regular infections. Dire Infections progress faster and will require both a competent doctor and good medicine, and probably constant bedrest, to heal. Deadly Infections are even worse and may require amputation even with the very best care available.
These new infections can only appear after 30 days and 90 days respectively (modified by your tech level), and will never affect a vital body part.

The mod also adds a new recipe & research project for improved medicine, as well as a recipe to craft multiple medicine at once. It also boosts the immunity bonus for hospital beds and vitals monitors.

Should be compatible with any mod.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1624126292

--- Dampening Belts ---

Add three tiers of Dampening Belts, energy-based belts that reduce incoming damage and can be used with ranged weapons.

Dampening Belts are meant for ranged users. While somewhat similar to Shield Belts, they are weaker and function differently:
- They only reduce the damage, rather than fully absorb it.
- They work on all types of damage.
- Their maximum energy and energy regeneration are low. They're only meant to help with the occasional lucky shot. Cover is still highly necessary.
- They can be used with ranged weapons, obviously. Shield Belts are still the best choice for melee users.
Dampening Belts require research (each tier requires Electronics, Microelectronics, and Multi-Analyzer, respectively), and are rather long and expensive to make... but they could certainly save your colonists.
Enemies with appropriate tech can also occasionally appear with Dampening Belts.

Should be compatible with any mod.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1624121823

--- Reliable Armors ---

Changes damage calculations to make armor reduce damage a bit more reliably.

This mod aims to make armor a little less random - not "more effective", just less random. Average damage absorbed is roughly the same, but the formula is changed to be more reliable:
- Armor penetration still reduces armor in the same way
- Initial chance to fully deflect damage is reduced by 1/3 (if you had 30% chance to deflect the damage, with this mod you now have 20% chance)
- If deflect does not happen, the damage is reduced by a random percentage between 35% and 100% of the remaining armor value (after penetration). For example, if the target has 80% armor and the weapon has 30% penetration, the final armor is 80 - 30 = 50%, and damage will be reduced between 17.5% and 50%. Full deflection still has a chance to happen here, if final armor is above 100%.
- Like in vanilla, if sharp damage is reduced by at least 50%, it is converted to blunt damage.

This mod also causes the damage tooltip on body parts to show the percentage of damage reduction done (including dampening belts, if applicable).

Not compatible with Combat Extended or any mod that changes armor calculations.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1624115509

--- Turrets Are Not Tanks ---

Greatly reduces the maximum health of all non-manned turrets, especially deployable ones.

In every game I played, I ended up using the same defensive strategy: put mini-turrets surrounded in sandbags in front of my defenses, and let my colonists and other turrets snipe out any opposition while they're wasting their time on those turrets I can easily rebuild even if they manage to destroy them.
It made raids too easy to handle, even when they arrived straight into my base, since it can also be done inside.

This mod greatly reduces the maximum hitpoints of all turrets, especially the mini-turret, which goes from 120 to 30 max health.
It also slightly reduces the cooldown of the mini-turret, which I'm finding a bit underwhelming offensively.

Also applies to XND Extended Turrets, and Rimsenal's security pack, if you have them installed.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1624117950

--- Overcapped Accuracy ---

Allows ranged weapons to have more than 100% accuracy, albeit with diminishing returns after 100%.

Why are Excellent-quality Sniper Rifles no better than Good-quality Sniper Rifles?
This mod allows weapons to have more than 100% accuracy. Accuracy above 100% is subject to diminishing returns, however: at 100% it takes two accuracy points to gain 1% accuracy, and after 110% it takes four accuracy points.

May not work with Combat Extended, if it changes accuracy or chance-to-hit calculations.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1624094549

-----------------

A zip with all mods can also be downloaded here: https://nales-lsd.s3.amazonaws.com/RimWorld/RimWorldNalesMods.zip

License: you're free to include these mods in modpacks or make derivative mods based on them, just let me know about it.

Feedback is welcome! I'm planning to add more incidents for HarshWorld, probably involving food and animals, and maybe some more (and bigger?) mods later.
Feel free to tell me if I made a mistake in this post or in the Steam Workshop.

Cataphract

These mods look great! I would love to try them but I don't play the steam version of the game. Will they be hosted on alternative sites?

Nales

DiamondBorne

Does Time-based Dangers calculation overlapped with Safely Hidden Away mod? That mod add the distances between your base and other hostile bases into the variable. The farther your base is, the longer and less likely you'll get attack.

Nales

Quote from: DiamondBorne on February 23, 2019, 03:10:05 AM
Does Time-based Dangers calculation overlapped with Safely Hidden Away mod? That mod add the distances between your base and other hostile bases into the variable. The farther your base is, the longer and less likely you'll get attack.
Safely Hidden Away only changes the frequency of raids, right? Time-based Dangers only modifies the magnitude of the attacks, so it should be fully compatible since they're doing different things.

Jan2607

Wow, I think Time based Dangers is the mod I need :D I'm running a pretty rich colony at the moment and I got raids with 200 tribesmen. The lag was extreme...
A few questions:
1) Is it compatible with CE? As far as I know CE changes points for raids, but I'm not sure, if it changes only the equipment of the raiders or the raid in general.
2) Is it compatible with existing saves?
3) Will it work with storyteller mods like the Rimsenal storyteller pack?

Nales

Quote from: Jan2607 on February 25, 2019, 12:08:11 PM
Wow, I think Time based Dangers is the mod I need :D I'm running a pretty rich colony at the moment and I got raids with 200 tribesmen. The lag was extreme...
A few questions:
1) Is it compatible with CE? As far as I know CE changes points for raids, but I'm not sure, if it changes only the equipment of the raiders or the raid in general.
2) Is it compatible with existing saves?
3) Will it work with storyteller mods like the Rimsenal storyteller pack?
1) Just checked CE's code, it doesn't seem to change raid points, only equipment. So it shouldn't interfere.
2) Yes.
3) Yes, it works with any storyteller.

Torneco

Canute

For 1.1 you need to download the workshop version.
Since the author didn't used the forum this year i don't think the link give you the 1.1 version.

Torneco

How do i download the workshop version for a non steam version?

Canute

Search the web for "workshop download" and it would lead you to some websites.

Currently i prefer
https://steamworkshopdownloader.io/