RimWorld on iOS (tablet and/or phone)?

Started by schoen, February 23, 2018, 09:31:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schoen

With 1.0 on the way is there any chance of an iOS port to tablet or phone?  It would be excellent on an iPad and potentially bring a large audience to the game. 

Depending on funding, there are also service providers who could do the port for some money, whether up-front investment, kickstarter, etc.

Lys

Personally I wouldn't care whether this happens, I think with Unity cross platform releases are rather simple to create, I do however see some problems:
1. Controls. The game is not designed to be controlled with touch and while possible, it would probably be rather painful for the end user.
2. It's time consuming. I'd rather Tynan and the team spend their time making the PC version better than wasting many hours managing the playability and releases to mobile platforms.
3. CPU issues. You know how the game becomes laggy even on very good computers after some time? Well I wouldn't be surprised if this happens after single in game week on a tablet. Thus making the game unplayable very soon or at least needing to cut many things, like limiting the amount of pawns, map size and overall entities (animals, raiders).

BugPowderDust

This would be nothing short of amazing. Prison Architect did a good job of the port to mobile/touch screen, necessary UI changes were made to accommodate, but the game is superb on tablet.

But yeah, CPU/lag could be an issue

sick puppy

pretty sure playing rimworld on the newest gen with small maps is possible...no need to make it compatible for iphone 3g or something...
and it would definitely be possible on ios laptops and desktops

besides, if prison architect made it to mobile, rimworld should aswell, as i get more lag with prison architect than rimworld

brucethemoose

Minor necro.

Recent tablet chips already blow past Rimworld's system requirements of a Core 2 Duo/HD 3000. Heck, new iPads and Samsung's 9000-series Exynos (which isn't in a tablet quite yet) are close to modern laptops. RimWorld uses less than 2GB of memory whenever I check, so that's not an issue either.

Hardware isn't the issue, it's software and testing. If I were Tynan, I certainly wouldn't want to mess with a whole 2nd version of RimWorld while it's being constantly altered and overhauled... but once the game is out of beta, that's less of an problem.

Anyway, necroing to say that I'm interested in a port too. In terms of quality, RimWorld would sit VERY high on the iOS/Android game totem pole. The only sticky issue I can think of is price. $30 is pretty high for a mobile game, but I can't image it being a flop either.

Hjack9090

Quote from: schoen on February 23, 2018, 09:31:28 AM
With 1.0 on the way is there any chance of an iOS port to tablet or phone?  It would be excellent on an iPad and potentially bring a large audience to the game. 

Depending on funding, there are also service providers who could do the port for some money, whether up-front investment, kickstarter, etc.

One word:
Laggggggggggggggggggggg

Seeker89

Best idea....
He could make it free to pay... releasing basic things but then charge people for everything else..
like they did with The Sims.

He would be way more money...
Weird fact mobile games make more money then PC or even Console games, as it's easier to spend money on micro transactions then one big one.
Here is a link if someone wants to read it:
http://www.businessinsider.com/mobile-games-more-money-than-console-pc-chart-2017-6

Bozobub

Quote from: Hjack9090 on March 06, 2018, 04:20:47 PM
Quote from: schoen on February 23, 2018, 09:31:28 AM

One word:
Laggggggggggggggggggggg
One word:  Nope.  You obviously have little idea how powerful current-gen tablets actually are, wether iOS or Android (or Windows, for that matter).  If RimWorld runs reasonably well on my rather old laptop with a 1st-gen mobile i7, it'll do fine on a decent tablet.
Thanks, belgord!

BugPowderDust

Sorry for the necro, but as it's gone GA, it's relevant again.

This would be nothing short of amazing if Tynan was considering this, although I totally get it may be a ball-ache he could do without.

vzoxz0

BugPowderDust

Quote from: vzoxz0 on October 21, 2018, 03:07:15 PM
"Gone GA"?

General Availability. I mean gone full on release, 1.0, end of beta, take your pick.

vzoxz0

There is no way RimWorld will ever run on an iOS device. They're simply not equipped for this kind of performance requirement.

...and why wouldn't he do it on Android instead?

BugPowderDust

No idea mate, I didn't start the thread. Android would suit me fine tbh.

FatCat201

As someone with no PC, and Apple's second most powerful tablet I would definitely buy Rimworld in a heartbeat if it were available on the iOS App Store. Someone above mentioned issues with controls since this is originally a PC game, and I believe that Rimworld would work perfectly fine with touch controls, definitely not with a controller (damn Prison Architecht console port).