That moment in the morning when you fire up Rimworld, load last evenings game,..

Started by Holothurin, February 24, 2018, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holothurin

... and stare at

Exception from asynchronous event: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at RimWorld.StatWorker_MarketValue.GetValueUnfinalized (RimWorld.StatRequest,bool) <0x000d4>

realizing that all auto- and hardsaves are corrupted and your 100h old colony has just perished. Again. Because of some fuc**** unfinished objects market value.

Sometimes I wonder if I love or hate this game.

SzQ

Quote from: Holothurin on February 24, 2018, 04:09:04 AM
Again.

I never bothered with save corruption, are Rimworld save files somewhat hard to copy for backup or something?

Usually contemplating my personal spacetime reality at
stream

Harry_Dicks

How can this happen if you have incremental backup saves, and are not modifying your mod list in the middle of a game? Or if you are changing your modlist, you make backups of this list (possibly from ModSwitch) and backups of the saves. Are you also allowing mods to autoupdate? I'm sorry if this happened to you and broke your save, but you should take precautionary steps so that this cannot happen.

I'm not attempting to make anyone feel silly for not doing this, but I am genuinely curious how you can allow this to happen to yourself if your 100h colony means that much to you? Does it not mean enough to make backups, but means enough to complain about errors corrupting your save?

I couldn't even begin to figure out how many backups of backups and different builds I have saved and scattered around 4 different hard drives. You can never be too safe! ::)

Main point is, if you are more proactive this cannot happen to you. Coming to complain about your issue with minimal context on the forums is being reactive, and doesn't solve anything. Mods or no mods.

Shurp

And did you forget that rimworld has autosaves?

Or are you playing on Permadeath (a really stupid thing to do with a game in Beta) ?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Tynan

There's a good chance you can fix it, you'd need to post the entire log message (e.g. the whole call stack), not just the first few lines.

If you can figure out what's causing the error, you can just edit the save to solve it.

Though there's a very high chance it's from a mod. Posting modlist would be good too.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Holothurin

Quote from: Tynan on February 26, 2018, 12:03:45 AM
There's a good chance you can fix it, you'd need to post the entire log message (e.g. the whole call stack), not just the first few lines.

If you can figure out what's causing the error, you can just edit the save to solve it.

Though there's a very high chance it's from a mod. Posting modlist would be good too.

I interpreted "RimWorld.StatWorker_MarketValue.GetValueUnfinalized" as an error related to unfinished objects, so I went to cut those 'thing_unfinished' and the according bills from the savegames but the error still came up. After that the saves just went straight to the garbage bin. So sorry, I can't post the full log anymore. I highly suspect it being caused by some modded object as well but since my modlist has around 90 positions I weren't able to pin it down.

I'm curious though. How could something like this...:
https://i.imgur.com/AlhuqTX.png
(which is not my log but the exact same error I had)
point me to the offending object?

Tynan

That's the log listing, it shows the first 2 lines of every message. You'd need to click on the message of interest; the full message comes up in that case, with the full call stack.

The log file also contains the full call stack.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

frogaz

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 24, 2018, 11:56:41 AM
How can this happen if you have incremental backup saves, and are not modifying your mod list in the middle of a game? Or if you are changing your modlist, you make backups of this list (possibly from ModSwitch) and backups of the saves. Are you also allowing mods to autoupdate? I'm sorry if this happened to you and broke your save, but you should take precautionary steps so that this cannot happen.

I'm not attempting to make anyone feel silly for not doing this, but I am genuinely curious how you can allow this to happen to yourself if your 100h colony means that much to you? Does it not mean enough to make backups, but means enough to complain about errors corrupting your save?

I couldn't even begin to figure out how many backups of backups and different builds I have saved and scattered around 4 different hard drives. You can never be too safe! ::)

Main point is, if you are more proactive this cannot happen to you. Coming to complain about your issue with minimal context on the forums is being reactive, and doesn't solve anything. Mods or no mods.
so harry can you give a more detailed info of how to backup the game and were to maybe get the programs thats neaded for it? thanks for all help in advance

Klitri

Best feeling ever
Coming back to the save and eighteen million things have happened but only 1 or nobody died yet a lots changed so cooooooool

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: frogaz on March 16, 2018, 06:03:19 PM
so harry can you give a more detailed info of how to backup the game and were to maybe get the programs thats neaded for it? thanks for all help in advance
You should be able to perform all of these functions from within your operating system. Make a new folder wherever you want, copy your mods, saves, and config files into this backup folder at whatever increments you see fit.